Isn't the weather just lovely?

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Re: Isn't the weather just lovely?

Post by yiraheerai »

Anyone else not having winter this year? It's been in the 60s most of the month. Right now, at 10:37 pm in January, it is 51F/10C out.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Nope! :P

In Germany (well, central and, I also think, southern), it's below freezing right now, has been for days, will likely be for another week. Crispy cold and totally clear.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Well, a week or so ago there was a report that every state in the union had received snow fall except Florida. This includes Hawaii. :| FYVM Florida.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

There's been a few times it's been below freezing but for the most part, it's been in the 50s or 60s. There were some flurries one day but it didn't stick. Roswell got more snow than we did and it did stick there. The last three days, it's been more like March- warm and very windy. I hate the wind. Is there anyone who likes the wind though?
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

*raises hand*

*gets blown over*
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

We're under a blizzard warning here in Vermont...and that doesn't mean that we're expecting a new game from Blizzard :p
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Europe is being a bit topsy turvy. In Germany, they are saying spring is coming and on Friday it will be over 20° C (about 70° F). Whereas here in Spain now (well, Granada), it's about 5° C (40° F) and raining, and there's deep snow up in the Sierra Nevada. I actually saw an electronic billboard this morning indicating that snow chains on tires are mandatory 28 km from here! I saw two cars coming from there still with loads of snow on their roof and hood.
ImageImage

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

It seems like winter this year has been very peculiar in quite a few places. Like I reported a while ago, we never really got much of a winter. It snowed once, I think, the entire season and it didn't even stick. Yesterday was in the low 60s/~15 and today it's forecasted to be 85F/29C and it's supposed to be like that the rest of the week, nearing 90.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Last week we were in the 70's F, and now, we've got two feet of snow...
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Re: Jabber!

Post by Artemisia »

At around 5pm EST, our power went out. The winds were so bad that they were causing the lids on our trashcans to fly up and slam into our porch. The winds took down parts of trees on our property (the trees have to be removed), and knocked out power to nearly the entire city of Rutland as well as huge swaths of the county. No one was hurt and no real damage to our house or nearby, but our mayor's house got hit by a tree.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Wow. Both for the wind speeds and how my immediate reaction was to sing "Watch out for that tree"

I am normally not that mean, wtf self?

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

It's okay. I'm not a big fan of our current mayor, and yeah, the wind speeds hit 70mph.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Daaaang. That's a lot. I think we can get 50 mph gusts. I can't imagine 70, especially if it wasn't part of a hurricane.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Apparently, it was something of a rare phenomenon. The storm front came over the mountains to the south and when that happens, it can cause fast straight line winds to come rushing down the mountain. Or something like that. The explanation was a bit complicated.

Enough of this on-topic talk in Jabber! :P

The DAMNed

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

Wow. Glad you're safe.
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh