National Novel Writing Month

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Jane

National Novel Writing Month

Post by Jane »

Well, it looks like NaNoWriMo is just around the corner again! I noticed a few people on these forums have participated in the past, and that there are several creative people more that may or may not be interested, so I thought I'd make a thread on the topic; these things tend to be more entertaining when more people are involved, after all.

For those who aren't familiar with NaNoWriMo, here's the summary from the "official" website:
National Novel Writing Month is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to novel writing. Participants begin writing on November 1. The goal is to write a 50,000 word, (approximately 175 page) novel by 11:59:59, November 30.

Valuing enthusiasm and perseverance over painstaking craft, NaNoWriMo is a novel-writing program for everyone who has thought fleetingly about writing a novel, but has been scared away by the time and effort involved.

Because of the limited writing window, the ONLY thing that matters in NaNoWriMo is output. It's all about quantity, not quality. This approach forces you to lower your expectations, take risks, and write on the fly.

Make no mistake: you will be writimg a lot of crap. And that's a good thing. By forcing you to write so intensely, you are giving yourself permission to make mistakes. To forgo the endless tweaking and editing and just create. To build without tearing down.

As you spend November writing, you can draw comfort from the fact that, all around the world, other National Novel Writing Month participants are going through the same joys and sorrows of producing the Great Frantic Novel. Wrimos meet throughout the month to offer encouragement, commiseration, and - when the thing is done - the kind of raucous celebrations that tend to frighten animals and small children.

In 2010, we had over 200,000 participants. More than 30,000 of them crossed the 50k line by the midnight deadline, entering into the annals of NaNoWriMo superstardom forever. They started the month as auto mechanics, out-of-work actors, and middle school English teachers. They walked away novelists.

So, to recap:

What: Writing one 50,000 word novel from scratch in a month's time.

Who: You! We can't do this unless we have some other people trying it as well. Let's write laughably awful yet lengthy prose together.

Why: The reasons are endless! To actively participate in one of our era's most enchanting art forms! To give yourself permission to write without obsessing over quality. To be able to make obscure references to passages from our novels at parties. To stop being one of those people who say, "I've always wanted to write a novel," and become one of those people who can say, "Oh, a novel? It's such a funny story - I've written three."
Or, for those who wish to write 50,000 words without reading 1,000: Write 50,000 words this November. It can be about anything, and as poorly written as you wish; just write.

By my clock, there's still a bit more than a week for anyone interested to decide on a plot and research character names, so there's still a bit of time left for anyone interested.

And I do hope people are interested; the more people share their plot ideas and novels here, the more likely it is that mine will go unnoticed :p .

Not that that will stop me from using anyone passing by as a source of free editing :p .
NaNoWriMo 2011 participant

Current progress to NaNaWriMo goal: 50,190/50,000 words. (complete!)
Current progress towards personal goal: 50,190/100,000 words (50.19% complete!) (Four days behind! I will catch up within two!)

Please fix this book. (fourth upload)

Searcher
Skipper of the S.S.Shipper

Re: National Novel Writing Month

Post by Searcher »

:-? I might have to try this ... could be fun
"Vegetarian: an old Iroquois word for Bad Hunter." Stolen from Azrael
“My books are like water, those of the great geniuses are wine. (Fortunately) everybody drinks water.” ~Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Robin Williams, a man who used his natural talents to make people smile, to laugh, to spread joy, to let everyone else feel alive; so no one else ever had to suffer as much as he has.

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »

Well, gotta start somewhere.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

I tried one year. I've got a few friends who do it every year and WIN. It's an awesome concept.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

I can't. I'm in the middle of finishing up my 100 page thesis...well, double spaced, the thing is nearly 200 pages long.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Post by Kamino Neko »

I'm not likely participating this year, perse. I'll still be working on the ongoing continuation of what I did the last two years (see my sig), and may, idly, try to do 50k words worth, but....
I swear I will, I'll make you smile.

Original fiction by Neko: Heroes of Angel City (now in convenient (and edited) ebook form!). Kuchisake.

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

I'm going to follow it again this year since i got alot of friends participating, but not going to join myself. I'm not that good a writer. (or fast one... :p)
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Y'know, my moods might've temporarily sidelined my own novel for a little bit... but I'll be damned if it'll stop me from this. I'm in. \M/
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Marque'd

Post by Marque'd »

I want to, but if I try, I may die. I'm already swmped with work.

November is like, the worst month for this if you're in college, I swear.
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. *stabstabstab*

Yay, signature death.

Searcher

Post by Searcher »

I don't know if I really have the time for this but ... what the hey I signed up! :D

My screen name will be my pen name on fanfiction.com and and FictionPress.com; Mik Sunrider. Wish me luck :-s
“My books are like water, those of the great geniuses are wine. (Fortunately) everybody drinks water.” ~Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Robin Williams, a man who used his natural talents to make people smile, to laugh, to spread joy, to let everyone else feel alive; so no one else ever had to suffer as much as he has.

Jane

Post by Jane »

And so the first day of November arrives! Writers, swiftly, to your pens!

For my own plot, I'm going with an ambiguous prophecy tearing apart the society of a large kingdom, as each of the factions interprets it in favor of themselves. The main characters will be two minor members of a suppressed death cult, who find this new situation to be severely disadvantageous to themselves, both to their position in society, and their secret... Not that such things will keep them from taking this prophecy as a sign themselves, of course.

I hope to write a story with engaging, sympathetic characters that the reader becomes attached to, and wishes the best for, filled with conflicting ideals and questions of how far one should go for what they believe in.

(second book spoilers)
Until half of them cease becoming sympathetic in the second book, and the other half become dead.
Marque'd wrote:I want to, but if I try, I may die. I'm already swmped with work.
Join us anyway! Surely bringing a new book into this world is worth your life, no :) ?

Current progress towards personal goal: 50,190/100,000 words (50.19% complete!) (Four days behind! I will catch up within two!)

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

Good luck to you all. :)
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

Searcher

Post by Searcher »

Thanks ... going to need it #:-s ... day one less then a thousand words #-o

No title yet, but I usually wait to get a title until I have done some serious fleshing out of the idea. One never knows when inspiration might make one change the title.

It's going to be a adventure set in the future after a Major disaster strikes the Earth ... and that is all I can tell you now.

Jane

Post by Jane »

Yeesh, I lost most of the morning to Word not wishing to work, for some unknown reason #-o . I really should have made certain that everything I was planning on using was working, particularly given that I set aside the entire day for writing. And I couldn't find the avatar I was looking for, either - I have to use one featuring a different person D: . Ah, well, I'll resize it later tonight anyways...

No time to complain, though. Time to post the prologue and first chapter! Which is, well, less a chapter, more an extended prologue. Also; probably the only writing I'll actually be posting to the fora until the end of month.
Prologue

“This is a pointless fight, you realize.”

“Of course, sister. I wouldn’t dream of ruining your dear grand design, no matter how amusing it would be.”

The two sat in darkness, the room silent but for their voices and the constant dripping of water. The only light in the room was a cold, harsh ball of light placed between them, which seemed to absorb more light rather than it radiated.

“Then why do you always – always – do this? I just finished resolving that business with the business with the Adrisians, and you’ve already started your meddling once more! Why must you persist with these endless schemes of yours?”

“Because I love you, my dear sister, and you never play with me anymore. How else to get your attention, but to toy with that musty old plan of yours?”
A sigh vanished into the darkness.

“It is troublesome to try and distinguish your love from your hatred…”

A giggle vanished into the darkness as well.

“Isn’t it always, though? But tell me, what has my teensy little alteration wrought?”

“The death of the Wurnevs, that’s what.”

Her voice carried more than a touch of exasperation.

“Oh, my, again? I swear, nothing ever seems to work out for those poor things…”

“Well, perhaps if a certain somebody would stop interfering with the attempts to establish them, they might live a bit longer…”

More giggling in the darkness. More never-ending dripping. Another sigh.

“You really don’t understand why this matters to me, do you? This is all just a game for you, another way to tease me.”

A sound of water, carelessly splashed.

“Not a bit, dear sister. Tell me, did that help?”

Ripples shone over the ball of light.

“…Hm. It appears that Parventine sunk into the sea, and will rise again twenty one thousand years hence. Yes, that does seem to have yielded more good than harm. Leave those lines merged like that.”

The sound of something sitting, landing heavily.

“So, dear sister, just how do you intend to fix things this time?”

A wave of an unseen hand. The sound of rippling streams shifting. Endless dripping stopping in one place, and starting anew in another.

Countless ripples appeared in the ball of light, some colliding and stopping, others growing into terrible waves.

“With prophecy.”

Chapter One

A majestic tower rose over the surrounding city, its walls woven with intricate designs from a forgotten age. Lines of brilliant jade intersected with lines of shining ivory and rubies, all fixed in place with fixings made of gold and silver. The windows were made of clear crystals, and shuttered by rare woods imported across the trackless desert. The lights that glowed from the tower’s interior were bright enough that night was said to never truly come to that city. The wealth that went into a single meter of this tower was worth more than a thousand families in the city surrounding it would earn in their entire lifetime.

The wind whipped through an open window, dispersing the rare perfumes that suffused the sage’s chamber, and scattering countless pages of text both ancient and new. The brilliant candles put up a valiant struggle against the gusts, but surrendered one by one to the inevitable, snuffed out just before the breaking of dawn. A single figure stood against the onslaught, shielding the room with his body.

He screamed one, single sentence into the winds, before leaping into the night below. As he fell, the sky glowed with a brilliant red, and something seemed to stir in the last minutes of his body. Were there anyone near enough to hear him, it may have sounded like… Laughter.

His body was not found until well after midday, however. The fires that consumed the tower, which had never known violence in its long history, had burned so fiercely that none had dared to approach. Both the wisdom of ages long lost, and the wisest of today’s generation, was lost in a single, tragic day. The city declared it to be a week of mourning, and the rest of the empire soon joined them.

The only thing that was left was a single paper, miraculously spared the flames through virtue of being firmly grasped in his hand. On it was written a single sentence… A sentence that soon murmured throughout the land.
I'm not entirely certain the prologue works; I was being deliberately sparse on detail, to better fit the mood of the scene, but it may have just come across as empty and vague instead of mysterious and confusing.

Does anyone happen to know the word (or two) for "New Man" in Gaelic? I can't seem to find a good english -> Gaelic dictionary. Heck, I don't even know if the words in Gaelic will actually be useful - I just think they can probably be adapted into what I'm looking for.

On a related note, I'm having a bit of a brain freeze at the moment - what's the proper word for "morning twilight"? I'd like to use it there to better establish the exact time -need to remember the guy's name- jumped.

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

...dawn?

I'm doing nanowrimo because it's hilarious.
One day I'm gonna lose the war.