Thread : In the news today

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Re: Thread : In the news today

Post by Tenjen »

heart attack, fkn tragic right there.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

And Robbie Knievel as well it seems.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Lisa Loring has passed. :ymsigh:

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

I can't even keep all these deaths apart anymore. Was that the lady who played Wednesday a long time ago?
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Indeed. She was Wednesday in the 1964 - 1966 The Addams Family show.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Burt Bacharach has died. My mom knows who that is.

British intelligence states that typically, a thousand Russians die in the Ukraine war each day.

Over 33,000 have died in the terrible Turkey-Syria earthquake. The death toll is expected to rise much higher.

Two literal UFOs (in the definition of "Unidentified Flying Object" in contrast to "clearly a Chinese spy balloon") have died over Alaska and Canada.

2023, Return of the Reaper.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

ImpulseOracle

Post by ImpulseOracle »

I just saw yesterday that even though Biden promised no more drilling on federal land, and even though 4.5 million people signed a petition to get him to stop the project, President Biden has approved the Willow Project. This is going to be a disaster environmentally. It's also most likely going to lose him the presidency, because Gen Z has had it up to here **gestures above head** with politicians and their lies and broken promises.

So much stuff is going on in the world right now and it is so very overwhelming.
ImpulseOracle %%-

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Old joke is funny because sadly, it seems to be pretty much universally true these days:

Q: How do you know when a politician is lying?

A: Their lips are moving.

Sideb(.)(.)bPlatypus
Purveyor of Puggles

Post by Sideb(.)(.)bPlatypus »

I'm very sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I just found out that Don Alexander/Alex has passed away 😭 😭 We talked on Skype fairly often and I hadn't heard from him or seen him online since March 8 so I was getting worried, I even sent a quick email to his work email address which bounced back. Tonight I googled his name just to see what would come up and found this:

https://elements.science/2023/03/21/in- ... nder-kann/

To say I'm shocked is an understatement. I met him (and many other people!) on this forum years ago and I can't believe I'll never talk to him again. He will be greatly missed. RIP Alex 😞
R.I.P. Don Alexander/Dr. David "Alex" Alexander Kann, 2/15/77-3/10/23 :( I'll never forget you or all the good times we had.

"Look up. The stars are shining for you."

Owner and Manager of McLovecraft's; Zany Genius Inventor of Ichory Delights

<3 PRIDE IN THY PUGGLES! <3

me: I remember biting Teach in the ass...
DA: We remember the REALLY important things.

Became Mrs. SP on 10/16/10 <3 :D

Now with mini Puggles! (as in babies) I have two boys, ages 7 and 4 :)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Well...damn. :( I would really, really like this to be an early April Fool's.

Sideb(.)(.)bPlatypus
Purveyor of Puggles

Post by Sideb(.)(.)bPlatypus »

I wish =(( I even had a dream that it was all a joke somehow...
R.I.P. Don Alexander/Dr. David "Alex" Alexander Kann, 2/15/77-3/10/23 :( I'll never forget you or all the good times we had.

"Look up. The stars are shining for you."

Owner and Manager of McLovecraft's; Zany Genius Inventor of Ichory Delights

<3 PRIDE IN THY PUGGLES! <3

me: I remember biting Teach in the ass...
DA: We remember the REALLY important things.

Became Mrs. SP on 10/16/10 <3 :D

Now with mini Puggles! (as in babies) I have two boys, ages 7 and 4 :)

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

This is Terrible, DA was here from the start during the golden age of the elder cave and was always warm and directing through thick and thin. He actively maintained the forum and helped the page stick around to now after everyone moved on, otherwise it would have been dropped long ago.

His work was ultra interesting and pushed the edge of humanities knowledge of the cosmos piece by piece. He should have had 30 more years to do so followed by a comfortable retirement. We should have had years of his presence and conversation and experience.

This is a personal tragedy and a terrible loss to me. The pain to his family though! All the stories he shared of them and his life experiences. All his thoughts, all the fun and jokes we had in the Cave and elsewhere here.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

Holy shit.

I just decided to poke my head in on a whym before bed, and had been checking a few threads, smirking at Don's comments. And then i saw the news and it felt like a physical jolt. Now i'm just sitting here numb, not really sure what to say or do.

There's something surreal about online friendships; I never met Don, or spoke with him in real time, I know his face and his voice from what he posted on this forum, but he never knew mine. I don't even know if he thought of me as his friend, but i think of him as mine. The only way we ever interacted was through posts on this forum, and if I scroll up just a bit, his are still there; the person is gone, but the jokes, and arguments, and discussions remain. Like paintings on the wall of some cave, those interactions still exist, but there will never be another.

Goodbye Don,, you were loved, and you will be missed.
Yet still, I live...

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

Double-posting in his honor to say that I will especially miss teasing him about astrology.

RIP in peace bro.
Yet still, I live...