The Silver Screen

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: The Silver Screen

Post by Don Alexander »

Getting to the movies is not easy for me these days... :(

I've been sick (not COVID but some other flu bug - a bit of nose blowing but a lot of nearly dry coughing - and tiredness. so much tiredness...), I've been busy, my mom gets pissed if I ever even want to leave the house... 8-|

Things I've missed already:

- Orphan: First Kill
- The Invitation
- The Woman King
- See How They Run
- Triangle of Sadness

and another smaller arthouse movie... The latter three I missed because my mom wanted to see them as well but then refused for a month because "I might cough in the movie theater"... ~X(

So things I HAVE seen recently:

Smile: Really cool horror movie - as basically everyone is saying. First part of the movie was super-creepy, then it became a bit standard. Reminded me of It Follows.

Halloween Ends: A bit of a disappointment. I mean, a reasonably fun popcorn slasher, but the two prequels were better.

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever: I have to admit, I've never been a big fan of Black Panther. It was just too disconnected from the main MCU plot, and the same goes for BP:WF. Sure, it looked good, but seriously, the most I got from this movie was more Contessa setup... It felt weirdly sandwiched between Aquaman and Avatar: The Shape of Water, hell they even have blue underwater folk!

And finally just a few hours ago: Bones & All: Holy shit, this was over the top!! Romantic road movie coming of age + TO SEPARATE THE FLESH FROM THE BONES =)) It's like Shaun of the Dead, in a certain sense.

EDIT: The movie I was missing was Amsterdam.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Will soon be off to see Avatar: The Way of Water. Either that, or I'll be offed. The movie was delayed so many years I became sure I'd die without being able to see it. Now it has launched, and finally I've found time with my mom to go see it... So... traffic accident??

Last night, watched an old classic I'd never seen before: Hellraiser. Good movie. And I was highly impressed by the practical effects they got out of their shoestring budget. Man that movie was... gooey... (and gory too, but mostly... moist and glistening)

Just a day after seeing Bones and All, I went to one of my favorite movies OF THE YEAR: THE MENU It was absolutely glorious!!! Ralph Fiennes was out of this world, and I have newfound respect for Anna-Taylor Joy.

Some further stuff:

She Said. Finally got my mom out of the house to watch a movie again. Good stuff, though pretty depressing. I was, however, rather irritated how it hardly even mentioned Ronan Farrow.

Black Adam: Just days before Avatar kicked a bunch of holdovers out of the cinemas, I finally got to see the new masterpiece of the DCEU!!! Okay... kidding... This was actually pretty lame imho. And the best scene - the famous post-credits scene I'm not going to spoil here - was completely led ad absurdum days later by Henry Cavill basically getting kicked out of the DCEU, The Rock stating there's likely never to be a sequel, etc. This is why the MCU is wiping the floor with you, DC shrimp!

And another two days later, at its very last showing, finally got to see Ticket to Paradise. I'm generally not a romcom person at all but this one delivered exactly what was promised. Absolutely hilarious, great fun, and with more than enough d'awwww :x ! Man, George Clooney and Julia Roberts had fantastic chemistry, sure that they've not been married in real life for decades now?? :))
ImageImage

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

If you enjoyed Hellraiser you might want to stop there. Because most of the sequels were bloody terrible. The second movie may have been tolerably okay as I recall, but the rest, pure crap. I mean I like me some so-bad-they're-good movies, these are just bad. :ymsick:
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Haha, don't worry!

I'm something of horror movie fan but NOT into all the old slasher franchises. I've probably seen the very first Halloween, and I know parts of the first Friday the 13th, but basically kept away from other stuff and all those DtV sequels...

However, the first Hellraiser is generally praised (and the second, it seems, seen as not too shabby either) and I felt I needed a bit of cultural indoctrination. :D
ImageImage

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Just saw Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves. Finally, FINALLY a good D&D movie after decades of pure crap. Alex would have loved this one.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

Azrael wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:24 pm
Just saw Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves. Finally, FINALLY a good D&D movie after decades of pure crap. Alex would have loved this one.
I would have loved to have seen him post here with giddy joy about various scenes and spell use.

oh and Baldurs Gate 3 now that its finally out. there would have been some good convos to be had there.

*sigh*
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?