New Site

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Spidrift

New Site

Post by Spidrift »

Note: Today has seen a total rebuild of the site. Much has changed...
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Spidrift

Re: New Site

Post by Spidrift »

One observation on this would be that we now have a new Cast page. This is actually rather truncated, and missing several characters including Sonya. It appears to have reverted to a very early version.

Another observation is that Giz has noted that these boards will remain open, but they'd prefer that people used Facebook to discuss the comics. Well, Nuh-Uh. Not going to happen with me. I nuked my short-lived Facebook account a year or two back when the company put on one of their periodic displays of obnoxiousness, and I'm not giving that bunch of irresponsible scumbags any more support than I can help. (Nor do I run a Twitter account, because I just despise Twitter.) Well, if these boards are now doomed to a slow death, I'll just have to live with the loss.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Judanas

Post by Judanas »

Yeah, I'd really rather not use social media myself.

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

Oof, logging in to this forum is slower than it used to be since it was moved to a new server. Not sure why. Anyway, main reason I'm trying to wean people off the forum is because it has become impractical. I can't set it to auto-activate new members since then 99% of all new members are spam and I'd be spending my time cleaning it up. So what this means is that people have to email me to be activated and no one knows this (and how to make it really obvious, right?) and we end up with a new member like every second month at best. I will leave the forum up for as long as people care for it but at this point, it's become more of a problem for me than anything else. I haven't added a link to it but I can certainly put a small one somewhere on the site. I will not push it though since, again, it's not practical.

I'm also updating on Instagram (my personal account), so maybe some of you would rather use that to comment. Sorry if I can't really figure out a better system. :(

Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Instagram is another FB property, and I would prefer to not support FB and The Zuck any more than I absolutely have to. My RPG group is set up on Messenger and Discord, and my church's announcements come through FB. Other than that I avoid all contact.
Don Alexander wrote:Duh. All people are homosexual. Most just don't get beyond the heterosexual experimentation phase until they die of old age.

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

We're looking into Disqus. This might solve the problem.

SlightlyMostly

Post by SlightlyMostly »

Disqus would sound good to me, e.g. Go Get a Roomie! uses that. As yet another option, Girl Genius seems to have a subreddit on Reddit, although I am not sure if that is an 'official' forum.

Dr. Jamming

Post by Dr. Jamming »

Have you considered an official subreddit? The main problems with facebook and instagram are both the privacy issues and the fact that their comments are terrible for trying to hold discussions in.

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

I'm open to alternatives. Main thing for me is that I don't want it to add more work for myself. It needs to run itself.

OldBrit

Post by OldBrit »

Another Facebook boycotter here. Disqus is acceptable, but it's not as good for finding late comments as a proper forum.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Spidrift wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:46 pm
One observation on this would be that we now have a new Cast page. This is actually rather truncated, and missing several characters including Sonya. It appears to have reverted to a very early version.
The real problem is perhaps that the now-complete comics need Cast pages that provide general introductions to the characters, without too many spoilers, rather than the "where we are at this precise moment" snapshots that belong at the start of the print volumes. And that would take a little effort to write and strike a balance with.

I'm tempted to have a go here for the fannish heck of it...
---------
Spidrift

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

Quite a few of the comics I read use Discus and it seems to work pretty well at least from the reader side.
It's a shame that forum abuse has become such an aggravation for the mods. I've seen several forums close because of the spam bots.

Samadhi

Post by Samadhi »

Hope the new system gets worked out, thanks for putting effort in and sorry to hear the forums have been giving you extra work

do not personally use facebook or anything, so this may be me signing off
but was never a big contributor in the first place

best wishes to everyone who followed Zii and the crew over the years <3
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama