Post by Giz »

TheFoolishOne

Re: PTC 26-11-19 Kinda makes me look bad

Post by TheFoolishOne »

LOL, and another Gaydar malfunction :D

Chantaru

Post by Chantaru »

The only person who ever said something negative about me having male roommates was my grandma who was born in 1920. Everytime Sadie or Ramona have a negative reaction to the idea of male roommate, it feels fake. Especially since I know they are in Montreal. Not, I don't know.... Iran or Afganistan or something. Cut it already.

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

Boy, they're really leaning hard on the misunderstanding-of-sexuality joke. I get it, it can be funny, but surely there's more you can do right?

I mean, I just came off reading Nightgale: Learning Curves, and that was genuinely funny and fun to read, and didn't require me to severely lower my expectations to find it so.
Chantaru wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:27 am
The only person who ever said something negative about me having male roommates was my grandma who was born in 1920. Everytime Sadie or Ramona have a negative reaction to the idea of male roommate, it feels fake. Especially since I know they are in Montreal. Not, I don't know.... Iran or Afganistan or something. Cut it already.
Yeah, considering Gary had two girl roommates without people raising their eyes every other panel, I think this comic's version of society is unlikely to care much.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Maybe... maybe not. TBH, I don't know how liberal or conservative Montreal... Quebec... or even Canada as a whole is right at this moment. But the demographic slice of characters we have seen in pretty much all of Giz's/this studio's work is openly accepting and relatively young in age. It is a small slice of society that tends toward not being conservative. Eulice being the only exception I can bring to mind and she has little patience/tolerance for anyone freeloading (and I would assume that as long as the rent is paid on her apartments on time & in full and her tenants don't wreck the place, she's cool with ax murderers and creepy shut-ins).

I guess what I am saying is that Zadie might be justified in worrying over the appearance of POSSLQ, and especially two males. And taking the farce a step deeper, Zadie doesn't know Roxie is lesbian and would (most likely if she isn't a hypocrite) not have issue at all. It is a layered joke. One that has played on for a while... same joke... different players.

As to the broken gaydar, I don't know where Giz is going with the Aaron/Julian relationship. Does Aaron really know what he wants/likes? Is he playing the part of not showing interest in yaoi/gay love because of fear of what emotions it might evoke in him? He doesn't seem confused in what he finds attractive, but then he is also just a typical nerd/geek only interested in beautiful women... and an overactive imagination with his lesbian fetish similar to where we first met Gary in Ma3. Roxie has been fairly helpful and perceptive - in her own way - towards other people's problems/personality. It is herself she has hang-ups with. My money is on Aaron at least moving his Kinsey scale needle a bit, before the end of this comic's run.

Lastly, I was hoping to have seen Roxie with some make-up. I wonder if it was a conscious choice by Giz because she did not like the look it had on Roxie... and just had the panel be a believable segue into a non-'lipstick lesbian' going out? I also wonder how long it will take for Roxie to get Zadie out of her clothes... talking nutrition and exercise, of course :P
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I suspect the concern Roxie had for Zadie's male roommates was that she was in a romantic relationship with one or both and therefore not interested in a romantic relationship with her.
Don Alexander wrote:Duh. All people are homosexual. Most just don't get beyond the heterosexual experimentation phase until they die of old age.

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

LIPSTICK IS EVIL!!! NEVER EVER WEAR IT!!!
(I don't.) :)) :)) :))

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

LegendaryKroc wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:33 am
Boy, they're really leaning hard on the misunderstanding-of-sexuality joke. I get it, it can be funny, but surely there's more you can do right?
For all their talents, when Giz and Dave get hold of an idea they think is hilariously funny, they will not let the bloody thing go. They milk stuff till long past when the udders are dry.
Chantaru wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:27 am
Yeah, considering Gary had two girl roommates without people raising their eyes every other panel, I think this comic's version of society is unlikely to care much.
Not raising eyebrows could in theory be down to a double standard, but nobody assumed that Gary was getting lucky either. This joke just fails miserably to ring true.
Last edited by Spidrift on Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:47 pm
Eulice being the only exception I can bring to mind and she has little patience/tolerance for anyone freeloading (and I would assume that as long as the rent is paid on her apartments on time & in full and her tenants don't wreck the place, she's cool with ax murderers and creepy shut-ins).
It’s pretty clear that Eulice, while highly conventional by default, never gave a damn who was screwing who so long as she could screw money out of all of them. Another reason this gag just doesn’t work.
My money is on Aaron at least moving his Kinsey scale needle a bit, before the end of this comic's run.
It’s the Ma3 universe. No sensible bookie would take that bet.
Lastly, I was hoping to have seen Roxie with some make-up. I wonder if it was a conscious choice by Giz because she did not like the look it had on Roxie...
Roxie’s whole character thing is being a tomboy who is scared of looking at all girly in case it makes her seem weak. It’s who she is.
Last edited by Spidrift on Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Opus the Poet wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:08 pm
I suspect the concern Roxie had for Zadie's male roommates was that she was in a romantic relationship with one or both and therefore not interested in a romantic relationship with her.
Not the point. Roxie’s thinking is explicit and clear here. It’s Zadie and Ramona weirdly thinking in old-fashioned judgemental terms that’s totally incomprehensible.
Last edited by Spidrift on Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------
Spidrift

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Also, Sadie was open about planning to move in with her boyfriend, but now she worries about this?
---------
Spidrift

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Well, she was comfortable enough with her boyfriend. Only later did she discover he was a sleaze. Do we know how long the two of them were dating before the move-in talk was discussed?

She barely knows Aaron, and he is a bit of a creep... but getting marginally better when he learns life lessons. Julian, she has the hots for. Plus she is desperate to not be homeless, thus needing roomies. But you already knew that.

Maybe she is just being stupidly self-conscious, which I admit is really really stupid since she flashed Roxie... what else can she truly be ashamed at once she's literally bared it all?
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

brasca

Post by brasca »

While the stigma of a single woman living with another single man has largely vanished people might get the wrong idea if that person is living with two other single people of the opposite sex as silly as that may seem.

It took me awhile to realize why Roxie looks different and it's because she has her hair down. Not bad, but I prefer the pony tail.

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

Wow, four posts in a row? Nice one, Spidrift.
Spidrift wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:52 pm
LegendaryKroc wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:33 am
For all their talents, when Giz and Dave get hold of an idea they think is hilariously funny, they will not let the bloody thing go. They milk stuff till long past when the udders are dry.
Don't get me started. Someone on the writing staff is way too fond of dildo-in-ass comedy.

Chantaru

Post by Chantaru »

Opus the Poet wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:08 pm
Well, Ramona kinda scolded her about having male roommates. Which was disappointing about Ramona.