Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

PTC 18-07-19 I am pumped

Post by Giz »

Opus the Poet

Re: PTC 18-07-19 I am pumped

Post by Opus the Poet »

Anyone think Zadie might be "advertising" a little too hard? Especially considering that Julian is canon gay (but apparently Zadie hasn't gotten the memo) and Aaron is already agreeing to help with the rent to the tune of CDN$700 (or was it CDN$750) a month? One she can't catch, the other is already caught...
Don Alexander wrote:Duh. All people are homosexual. Most just don't get beyond the heterosexual experimentation phase until they die of old age.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

It's all subjective and relatively speaking, yet still Zadie looks cute in the Daisy Duke pants and bikini top combo; her personality, however, remains decidedly uncute. I mean, there is "sending a signal," then there is just trying too hard; I labelled her a creeper, which is probably hyperbole, but hopefully such rhetorical techniques are understood... She is reinforcing gender stereotypes because of some misguided seduction tactic, though.

Anyway, more points for Julian being a decent guy, as he is helping two strangers move - he is a business associate, so him doing such an act shows a kindness that goes above and beyond what he really needed to do. Aaron hasn't said anything intolerable again, so an improvement, I suppose.
I guess Zadie and Aaron both share the trait of trying too hard when the situation is futile and/or counterproductive, which may be an arc to overcome? Assuming not too many "Julian is g[interrupted]" jokes get in the way.

TheFoolishOne

Post by TheFoolishOne »

I thot he was just trying to get closer to Aaron

xetalon

Post by xetalon »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:31 am

Anyway, more points for Julian being a decent guy, as he is helping two strangers move - he is a business associate, so him doing such an act shows a kindness that goes above and beyond what he really needed to do.
I just want to point out that Aaron is not a stranger for Julian. He himself pointed this out.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Having lived in a third floor apartment with no elevator - I find myself sympathizing with Aaron in this strip (moving in or out of such places is utterly brutal) and really disliking Zadie for not bothering to help them/not showing the same courtesy to Aaron that she's showing Julian. I get she wants to shag Julian; but offering a refreshing drink to the guy she wants to screw while disrespecting the guy who is not only clearly exhausted, but the one who is actually responsible for helping her pay her rent is just beyond insulting.

How is this meant to be funny, again?
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

At their core, there really isn't much difference between Aaron and Zadie. Both of them are so wrapped up in their own internal narratives that they have no clue what's actually going on around them. That is pretty normal for someone who's late teens-early twenties, but when you add Aaron's homophobia and Zadie's vanity (both signs of insecurity) you get two very unpleasant people.

Valkog

Post by Valkog »

Aaron's surprisingly not objectionable, here.

Why does Zadie bring up cherry like it's something sexy? At least, I think that's what she's doing. The only sexual association I've heard about with cherries is "popping the cherry", which is just losing your virginity, and I might be wrong, but isn't it called that because people sometimes bleed from doing it wrong? That's what it brings to mind, anyway, and that's not what I want to be thinking about when I'm drinking something meant to refresh
Or maybe she's gonna try doing that tying-stems-with-your-tongue move, which just makes me think she put whole cherries in the lemonade to set that up. Is she gonna make out with the lemonade? I don't understand this woman's bizarre mannerisms.
**== **== **== **==

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Yup. Both Aaron and Zadie, in the end, aren't great people.

Though, I don't fault her for trying to put it out there for Julian. She just doesn't realize it won't work. She's basically dressing up to get his attention.

That said, she should be helping them move in as well.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Opus the Poet wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:03 am
Anyone think Zadie might be "advertising" a little too hard? Especially considering that Julian is canon gay (but apparently Zadie hasn't gotten the memo) and Aaron is already agreeing to help with the rent to the tune of CDN$700 (or was it CDN$750) a month? One she can't catch, the other is already caught...
Because she's the Girl with No Gay-dar: https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live ... ty/2860843

Although Aaron seems to be the Gary of this strip he seems to be lacking among other things the strength. Gary didn't seem to work out much, but he wouldn't be struggling. I could be wrong since unlike Zadie he doesn't have his shirt off. Speaking of she definitely keeps in shape and shaping out to be the Zii of this strip except without any interest in women.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

brasca wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:40 pm
Opus the Poet wrote:
Because she's the Girl with No Gay-dar: https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live ... ty/2860843
Because Julian just oozes gay vibes, right? Seriously, what is there to tell Zadie that Julian is gay - other than him not immediately reacting to her blatant flirting?

On that same notion, how is Julian blind to Zadie hitting on him - because she's seriously not making it any secret that she's into him. Sure, Julian's gay and he's not going to take any interest in what she's throwing at him; but even a gay man couldn't miss those signals.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Fluffy wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:55 pm
brasca wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:40 pm
Opus the Poet wrote:
Because Julian just oozes gay vibes, right? Seriously, what is there to tell Zadie that Julian is gay - other than him not immediately reacting to her blatant flirting?

On that same notion, how is Julian blind to Zadie hitting on him - because she's seriously not making it any secret that she's into him. Sure, Julian's gay and he's not going to take any interest in what she's throwing at him; but even a gay man couldn't miss those signals.
Because it's funny. You do realize this is a farce. It's always been a farce. Julius isn't Dillon who you know is gay within the first seconds of meeting, but for someone who went to college it's strange that she automatically assumes he's a straight man who might for her. However, I shrug it off as part of the farce and have a little chuckle over it. And with the exception of Ruby's boyfriend Andy most men straight or gay would know what Zadie is up to, but again this is a farce so he'll probably mistake it for something else and for those of us with a sense of humor it will be funny.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

brasca wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:37 pm
... but again this is a farce so he'll probably mistake it for something else and for those of us with a sense of humor it will be funny.
Humor is subjective - alluding that those who don't find the cliched farce funny as having no sense of humor is rather insulting. Can't you make your counterpoints without making digs at other readers who have a different viewpoint than your own?

brasca

Post by brasca »

Fluffy wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:40 pm
brasca wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:37 pm
... but again this is a farce so he'll probably mistake it for something else and for those of us with a sense of humor it will be funny.
Humor is subjective - alluding that those who don't find the cliched farce funny as having no sense of humor is rather insulting. Can't you make your counterpoints without making digs at other readers who have a different viewpoint than your own?
Pointing out that all you ever do is complain is not a dig. It's a fact. And while I agree humor is subjective if there is something I don't find amusing and it never changes then I don't bother with it.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

brasca wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:55 pm
And while I agree humor is subjective if there is something I don't find amusing and it never changes then I don't bother with it.
So, why not apply that same solution to folks who have differing opinions to your own instead of throwing low ball insults at them?