09-04-19 Dynamite

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Re: 09-04-19 Dynamite

Post by Azrael »

Thanks for the comic, Gisèle and Dave. It's been quite a ride. :) See you all in the next one.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Welcome back Alice Macher and Vitocap!

Regarding Kiley while it would've been nice to see her again or see what she's up to now it would also feel clumsy to just include her since she has nothing to do with the current storyline. I'd like to think she might appear in Pixie Trix Comix, but she never seemed to have any interest in comics, but who knows she might have an interest in yaoi. I'd definitely like her and Ruby to meet and I'm fairly confident she'll be back in this next strip.

Personally I think this webcomic could continue the way many others have by just gradually shifting focus to other characters which seems like that might be happening with this upcoming strip. We're likely to see Gary, Zii, and DiDi from time to time, but since their stories are diverging they're not going to be the primary focus. Although not everyone would agree I think it would be interesting to see DiDi pursue her wrestling career, but months would go by without Zii and Gary. Zii on tour would also be interesting, but again months would go by without Gary or DiDi. Gary's relationship and art career probably has some story potential too, but again months would go by without Zii and DiDi.

As such this is the best way to transition to another story.

Zellgato

Post by Zellgato »

Would've been funny if there had been a book somewhere in the panels, and the author was Kiley. Meaning she published, graduated, and then turned her story into a book. (or didn't graduate and turned it into a book)

.....I swear they changed the locks since Dillin or Matt lived there. Unless like he took it from Yuki or someone else at some point?

Oddly when those two walked in I half thought that they were having a tryst given the dramedy~

Hyper Magi

Post by Hyper Magi »

And so an era ends.

Thank you Dave and Giz for all the entertainment. It's certainly been fun.
Sparking now, search within your soul to find the answer!
Push yourself to the edge, give 1000%!

Malmedee

Post by Malmedee »

Well, I've loved this last story arc. I don't usually have much to say when I'm enjoying things, but let me say that I like how you tied up 90% of the character arcs, and more surprising for me, that Peggy ended up being a good and likable character. Thanks for all the time and effort folks.

leftturnonly

Post by leftturnonly »

It's been a long run, thanks for all the strips! :x

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

I have too many thoughts on this comic to sum them up in a single post here. It's been quite an experience seeing it play through though.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:51 am
Personally I think this webcomic could continue the way many others have by just gradually shifting focus to other characters which seems like that might be happening with this upcoming strip. We're likely to see Gary, Zii, and DiDi from time to time, but since their stories are diverging they're not going to be the primary focus.
I suspect that the point of creating a new title is to make the focus shift abrupt rather than gradual — and quite right too.

I'm sure that we’ll see appearances by Gary — he’s a comics addict and Jung’s bestie, hard to keep him out — but really, his own story isn’t just diverging, it’s done. Ma3 was never really just Gary’s Saga, but a lot of readers apparently insisted on seeing it that way, probably because he was a useful if spurious geek identification figure; geeky and troubled in a whiny sort of way, but actually slim, good-looking, and a sexual savant. Exactly how many geeks would like to see themselves, even though it’s a lie. However, whether or not you like or identify with Gary, there’s not much more to say with him; he’s got laid, got his dream job, and got a sexy, smart, empathetic girlfriend, and he’s wise enough to be happy with that. And there’s no comedy in contentment. If he shows up in the shop, it might well be as an aspirational figure for other characters. As I’ve noted before, the nerd herd may well see him as a bit of a god by now, and while Jung might never be so uncool as to say so, I suspect that his own willingness to go after Ramona may have been based on the idea that if Gary can pull, it can’t be that hard.

And Jung is potentially a far better identification figure for geeks. He has the real geek virtues — snark and a willingness to do the reading — rather than Gary’s unrealistic innate perfection. He’s chubby rather than slim, but he’s already shown that what matters is how you use it. If Giz and Dave get the writing right, he could be a very effective central figure.

Assuming that’s what we’re getting, of course.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

nottere

Post by nottere »

I daresay that this is the most satisfying ending strip that I've seen for a Pixie Trix project. Having Matt and Dillon walk in despite a character finally having the sense to lock the door feels very natural, even if it does leave me wondering how much of the journeys that all of these individual characters went on was planned ahead of time. But that's really not that big of a distraction. There may have been a few points over this last year where I haven't cared for how the story twisted or turned, but overall, this was a great ride, and I'm just happy to see Gary happy. Sonya too.

I am really going to miss checking on this comic every few days. It takes such a short time to read a strip every morning, but it actually was a pretty big part of my life, if only because the habit had been going for so long. Man. :ymparty: It's been real, guys. Thanks for all of the laughs and intruige.

OldBrit

Post by OldBrit »

It's been a long time coming, but we've finally come to a conclusion.
Thanks Giz and Dave, and good luck with your future projects.

Mordhaus

Post by Mordhaus »

Huge Meh, just like Dangerously Chloe. Is it sad that the only comic that went out with more than a whimper was Sticky Dilly Buns?
I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite comic on the Internet.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

I would have to agree with the ending being anticlimactic but it was "good enough". Spidrift put it best in that the creative team isn't very good at doing endings. And it's their comic so they can end it however they want. I'll go ahead and read their next comic for a while but if it's just more of the same and not something new and different then I'm dropping it.

OldBrit

Post by OldBrit »

Mordhaus wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:51 pm
Is it sad that the only comic that went out with more than a whimper was Sticky Dilly Buns?
This one definitely went out with a 'bang'.

Two if the dynamite exploded.

gwtheyrn

Post by gwtheyrn »

And there it is. Hard to imagine that a number of comics which have been in my life for the better part of a decade are coming to an end all about the same time.

Thanks for the ride, Giz and crew. It was a lot of fun.

Collarnorcrown

Post by Collarnorcrown »

Seems everything wrapped up quite nicely while I was in Japan.

Thanks for the years of fun guys.
"The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything."
Friedrich Nietzsche