SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

WizzarTheRed
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 2:52 am

Re: SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Post by WizzarTheRed »

Say not in grief, "he is no more," but live in thankfulness that he was. We'll miss you, Dillon O'Brien.

JoybuzzerX
Posts: 1411
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:02 am

Re: SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Post by JoybuzzerX »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:31 pm
JoybuzzerX wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:51 pm
This is how it ends? :( Nothing on Ruby and Amber? Ruby do we assume just had sex and it looks like she's with the guy? What about Amber?
The name of the comic is Sticky Dilly Buns, so it logically should end with Dillon's buns getting sticky. Ok, maybe not the best opinion but it will work. And technically, one would assume that exact event is about to crescendo.

I understand your frustration. Ruby took over the strip; she is interesting if high strung. I too am one who would like to see more of how she does, as well as more of Amber. But maybe there is good reason to not have two comics playing off one another both of which have sisters as the main cast (i.e. Exorsisters being her high profile paid gig). Give it time. If she gets inspired or another creative team wants to take the steps to play in Giz's make-believe sandbox, we'll get more. If not, we have to enjoy the ride while it lasted.
I know, that's why they should have shown us something with at least Amber, who I wished was in the comic more.

User avatar
Spidrift
Posts: 13180
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Post by Spidrift »

I’m a little puzzled that she wasn’t, really. I mean, the old “single woman seeks good man” plot has metric oodles of comedy potential, and dramatically, she seemed to start in the position which Gary reached only recently; able to get any amount of sex, which she loves, sure, but having come to the feeling that it was all a bit hollow, and wanting - gasp - an actual relationship — but with even less idea than Gary what that really meant. Plus, there was the whole “telling her parents” potential plot.

She was never given much personality, but she had more than Gary managed for a long time, and she could easily have supported a comic on her own (“Amber Alert”?), if a writer had cared. I suspect that she was a Dave01 creation who Giz inherited by default.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

User avatar
Opus the Poet
Posts: 791
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:42 am
Location: The Beautiful Suburbs of Hell, USA
Contact:

Re: SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Post by Opus the Poet »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:21 pm
brasca wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:56 pm
Spidrift wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:18 am
Well, if Giz ever wants to Kickstart a print SDB comic, series or standalone, I'm up for backing it. (Apparently, Patreon have gone a bit moralistic these days, so sadly, that option may be off the table even if Giz changed her mind. Not that SDB was ever porn.)
Patreon? Are you sure you don't mean Tumblr?
No, Patreon, as of around a year ago, apparently. But I’m fully aware that Tumblr went all silly more recently. Stupidity is not a finite resource.
Albert Einstein wrote:The only things that are truly infinite are the universe and human stupidity, but I'm not so sure about the universe.
/:) :ymdevil:
Don Alexander wrote:Duh. All people are homosexual. Most just don't get beyond the heterosexual experimentation phase until they die of old age.

User avatar
rogermart
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:04 pm

Re: SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Post by rogermart »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:26 pm

The problem is, well, SDB actually existed because Giz likes Dillon. The clue is in the title, and it’s never been a secret. Amber obviously came with the deal, and then, Giz evidently felt the need for someone who could actually play off Dillon, and as you say, the most interesting character in the comic came into existence. And then the problem was, just because the writer likes a character doesn’t guarantee that they can create especially good plots for that character. Nor did Amber provide any sort of balance, because all her problems — finding a boyfriend, telling her parents about her porn career, discovering why Ruby didn’t seem to like her — turned out to be ones that could be fixed in a single strip each, and she never had much of a personality beyond that. So Ruby took over.

But, I suspect, Giz still actually likes Dillon best of all. And if we get any more SDB stories, it’ll be because Giz wants to write them, not because of audience demand. So they’ll probably still be Dillon stories.

But who knows? We can always hope.
Yeah, Giz started SDB with Shouri because she likes Dillon and she wanted for him to grow, instead of just being in Gary's way, and I don't know if she feels the same after 5 years (probably yes), but what I'm sure is that she looooooves Ruby (along with most of us :x ), so I'm positive that if Giz continues the Ma3verse (or some version of it) Ruby will keep showing up even if it's with Dillon.
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

User avatar
Spidrift
Posts: 13180
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Post by Spidrift »

We can certainly hope. And Giz pretty clearly doesn’t dislike Ruby. But just because a character turned out to come with a container-load of complexity, a bunch of plot ideas, and killer legs, doesn’t guarantee that the writer especially likes writing them. There seems to be a bunch of author appeal attached to Dillon, and while Ruby may share Giz’s liking for yaoi, she doesn’t embody it the way that Dillon does.

A thought that does occur to me, though; Ruby will presumably still be looking for a place of her own to live. I mean, she may be looking to get on better with Amber, but Amber now shares her bed with Ray, and while sharing Dillon’s bed us fine, it kind of precludes Dillon bringing Jerzy back there. And Ruby will probably sometimes want the comfort of spending a full night with Andy, and she still wants to keep that relationship semi-secret from Amber. (No way can she keep it fully secret.) She’ll certainly want to share a bed with Andy sometimes in a place where either if them can express some intense feelings without being heard through the wall.

So, she really needs that apartment of her own now. What are the odds that Sonya will let her place go, decide to sub-let, or be looking for a friend of a friend to house-sit for a few months?
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

User avatar
rogermart
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:04 pm

Re: SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Post by rogermart »

Spidrift wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:45 pm
We can certainly hope. And Giz pretty clearly doesn’t dislike Ruby. But just because a character turned out to come with a container-load of complexity, a bunch of plot ideas, and killer legs, doesn’t guarantee that the writer especially likes writing them. There seems to be a bunch of author appeal attached to Dillon, and while Ruby may share Giz’s liking for yaoi, she doesn’t embody it the way that Dillon does.
Well, I know she loooves Ruby because of what she has said:
Giz wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:17 am
Oh, yes, sorry if that wasn't clear. It doesn't mean we won't touch on these characters again though. We have plans for Dillon in Ma3, and I like Ruby a lot, so I may use her elsewhere. We'll see! :)
Also:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 8995063209
Spidrift wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:45 pm
A thought that does occur to me, though; Ruby will presumably still be looking for a place of her own to live. I mean, she may be looking to get on better with Amber, but Amber now shares her bed with Ray, and while sharing Dillon’s bed us fine, it kind of precludes Dillon bringing Jerzy back there. And Ruby will probably sometimes want the comfort of spending a full night with Andy, and she still wants to keep that relationship semi-secret from Amber. (No way can she keep it fully secret.) She’ll certainly want to share a bed with Andy sometimes in a place where either if them can express some intense feelings without being heard through the wall.

So, she really needs that apartment of her own now. What are the odds that Sonya will let her place go, decide to sub-let, or be looking for a friend of a friend to house-sit for a few months?
That right there could be an opportunity for her own spin-off series.
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

User avatar
Spidrift
Posts: 13180
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Post by Spidrift »

I doubt that we’ll get another series in any format resembling Ma3 or SDB, because anything similar would hit the exact same commercial problems as those existing series. A print series would be nice but far too much to hope for... If Giz’s hints are set to go anywhere, I’d guess it’d be one-shot comics or short run things on the Web.

But I dunno, really. We just have to live in hope.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

nottere
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:44 am

Re: SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Post by nottere »

Man, this whole final chapter to Dillon's spin off is bumming me out. I really liked these characters, and I would have liked to have seen them wind up in all of these endings (especially Angel and Richie), but it doesn't feel earned. I hope this universe does get revisited someday down the line.

User avatar
worldshaking00
Posts: 1118
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: My little slice of Hell in Arizona

Re: SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Post by worldshaking00 »

I share your feeling about it seeming like things have been rushed into. But 'earned' I don't think is fair. Ruby went through a lot in order to finally where she got to. Dillon finding a guy who wasn't a total sleaze. All of them holding down jobs they like and that utilize their talents, but having gone through slimeball bosses (Nathan) and salacious pasts.

Amber is the one I think who needs more closure, while I think that Ruby deserves the most chance to get a spin-off (although I honestly can't think of much to make her continued story much more interesting unless Andy turns out to be a dud; fan-wank though? sure, I can imagine plenty of that).

I think that we are all just going through the beginning stages of loss. It being prolonged because we only get updates twice weekly, and there is a definite end on the near horizon is making us extra loopy/droopy. We are wanting to overdose on story and content and have all of our what if's answered. While that might be satisfying, it leaves Giz in a pickle should she want to revisit these characters and have less pre-existing complications to make the characters seem comfortable to the older readership yet fresh and relatable to a newer reader.

I like to imagine the characters/universe as action figures being put on a shelf, or maybe even a display/diorama. I don't want them to be boxed up in the attic never to see the light of day. Or worse yet, sold at a rummage sale. I like to imagine Giz rearranging her figures and getting inspired for other wacky hijinks. But first, pay the bills and deal with real life.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

User avatar
Azrael
Mischief Maker
Posts: 23907
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:48 am
Location: Down below, where the dead men go

Re: SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Post by Azrael »

Giz wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:39 am
And that's a wrap for SDB! Hope you liked! :)

Thank you, indeed, Gisèle. Ever since I found you and your work with CCS and P&A you quickly became one of my favourite artists and I have enjoyed all that you do. I look forward to seeing where we end up with Ménage a 3 and what projects you go forward with in the future. :D
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

User avatar
Spidrift
Posts: 13180
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:19 am
I share your feeling about it seeming like things have been rushed into. But 'earned' I don't think is fair. Ruby went through a lot in order to finally where she got to. Dillon finding a guy who wasn't a total sleaze. All of them holding down jobs they like and that utilize their talents, but having gone through slimeball bosses (Nathan) and salacious pasts.
Ruby has certainly earned her current ending if anyone has, because it’s a logical (partial) conclusion to her whole story ever since she first appeared, and that included plenty of discomfort and work along the way. Though even her plot felt a little rushed at the end, with her suddenly declaring that she loved Amber but was jealous of her. If she still felt love for Amber, it was really well buried in what we saw previously; I can believe that she still had the capacity to rediscover what she felt in childhood, but it should have taken a bit more digging out. Likewise, I never had the feeling that she was jealous of Amber, exactly; “felt overshadowed by” might have been a better phrase. And her anger at the forced secret-keeping felt genuine, and that has never been resolved.

The other characters, though, may have come to logical conclusions, but it’s all felt a bit rushed and arbitrary. Stuff just happened for them, often off-stage. A fictional character only “earns” an ending if we see them getting there, not by arbitrary authorial declaration. The most we got with Dillon was a few strips after Ruby started calling him out on his bad habits; with Angel and Richie, we got almost nothing.
Amber is the one I think who needs more closure, while I think that Ruby deserves the most chance to get a spin-off (although I honestly can't think of much to make her continued story much more interesting unless Andy turns out to be a dud; fan-wank though? sure, I can imagine plenty of that).
Agreed about Amber; she was a perfectly viable character concept which the writer never rounded out. And giving Ruby some more story could have been part of giving Amber more closure. Amber needs to establish her new, non-porny life, with fewer secrets and a fairly conventional relationship with Ray, and Ruby could help her with that while providing an interesting counterpoint, having a new and slightly peculiar relationship of her own.

Because Andy now becomes part of the furniture in Ruby’s story, rather than part of the big problem. As Ma3 showed long ago with Gary, getting laid isn’t the end of someone’s story, it’s just the marker for a new stage. Ruby is having sex, great, but she has to decide how open she wants to be about that, determine the parameters of Andy’s sexuality, probably get a place of her own so she can have him over whenever she wants for as long as she likes — loads of stuff. And away from Andy, she’s running the yaoi club and publishing that calendar, and she may want to work on her photographic skills, for which she seems to have a natural talent. Plus, she needs to get over her bad habit of treating cute gay men as objects for her visual gratification, if the writer wants to play with her bad side; she’s a little too good at manipulating people.

So yeah, “Here’s Ruby!” or “Amber Alert” could both have been good comics, and both still could be...
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

User avatar
Milnoc
Posts: 3348
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 6:05 pm

Re: SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Post by Milnoc »

While Sticky Dilly Buns was funny, I'll be glad to see Mà3 come back. I really want to see what happens between Gary and Peggy!

User avatar
worldshaking00
Posts: 1118
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: My little slice of Hell in Arizona

Re: SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Post by worldshaking00 »

Amen, @Milnoc.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Itrogash
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:37 am

Re: SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Post by Itrogash »

Well, that was fun. I think I liked SDB the most out of all series. I really liked dynamic between Dillion and Ruby. I liked how Dillon let Ruby be more open and honest with herself, made her more confident and more comfortable with her sexuality, how he let her pursue new interests which eventually led her to opening new business. I liked how Ruby pushed Dillon into recognizing his flaws and working to amend them. I really liked how they developed this healthy kind of friendship where they were both supporting each other and making each other better people. I'm certainly gonna miss this dynamic.

I do hope however we will get a closure to Ruby's business arc in Ma3. It was a big plot point in the comic and important part of Ruby's character development. It was quite enjoyable seeing her dynamic with Zii and overall mash-up of all all different characters working together. Not to mention Ruby's business is this series' namesake. It would be a shame to see this plot point unresolved.

Post Reply