I, Otaku

Archived forum topics for Seven Seas Entertainment's line of licensed manga and novel series and other original properties. To interact with Seven Seas directly, follow us on twitter.com/gomanga or like us on facebook.com/gomanga.
Elysion Zero

I, Otaku

Post by Elysion Zero »

Do the completely translated 3rd and 4th volumes listed on Borders.com, Amazon.com and other sites actually exist?

Are you guys going to finish translating all 6 volumes or sell the license to a publisher who will?

Regardless of the fact that copyright infringement is frowned upon, are fan translations the only way fans of the series will ever be able to read volumes 5 and 6 in English?

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Re: I, Otaku

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Due to lackluster sales of "I, Otaku," we were only able to release the first two volumes of the series. There are currently no plans to release the rest.

Elysion Zero

Post by Elysion Zero »

I guess that's a no, no and yes. I suppose my next question would be this:

Why not sell the license to another publisher? Or are there no other publishers willing to buy it and finish the series?

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Elysion Zero wrote:Why not sell the license to another publisher? Or are there no other publishers willing to buy it and finish the series?
Since "I, Otaku" didn't perform well in our market, the chances of another publisher wanting the series are slim. Bookstores do look at the past sales history for a series when they place orders and if it didn't perform, then they don't order many (or any).

Elysion Zero

Post by Elysion Zero »

When you phrase it like that, it makes it sound like you haven't even tried to sell the series and instead dismiss the idea because of the chances. But that doesn't seem like it would make much sense. Trying to sell the license seems like it'd be more profitable than sitting on it until the expiration date. If you're not releasing any more books, then the license isn't generating any profit. What am I missing?

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Elysion Zero wrote:When you phrase it like that, it makes it sound like you haven't even tried to sell the series and instead dismiss the idea because of the chances. But that doesn't seem like it would make much sense. Trying to sell the license seems like it'd be more profitable than sitting on it until the expiration date. If you're not releasing any more books, then the license isn't generating any profit. What am I missing?
Contract licenses with the Japanese are in the name of the company who licensed it. Even if a contract allowed you to sub-license a property out, you would be hard pressed to find one who would want a book that doesn't sell. It just doesn't happen.

I know that "I, Otaku" is an amazingly funny series that's all about fandom and I think it's tragic that no one will get to read the hilarious 3rd volume where the series came into its own (which was translated and partially lettered, btw). However, unlike Genshiken, Dramacon, Aoi House, Comic Party, Haruhi Suzumiya, and He Is My Master... "I, Otaku" didn't click.

At Seven Seas, we're all fans at heart, but at the end of the day, Seven Seas is still a business. And in business, sometimes you have to write something off as a loss and turn your focus to the series that do sell.

Elysion Zero

Post by Elysion Zero »

I appreciate the explanation. However, it's not surprising to hear i, Otaku didn't "click" like a long running webmanga or 4 titles with anime adaptations. It's a shame if that's the kind of success that was needed for additional volumes to be released.

JetStorm

[FEATURE] The Seven Seas' Archive - Unfinished Projects

Post by JetStorm »

Hey is there any word on what happened to I, Otaku? There's 6 volumes apparently but only 2 have been translated?
Embarrassment is counter-productive
PSN: DAIKATAR
[img]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/fireswarm88/HammerofJust45c8f415a03ca-1.jpg[/img]

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

JetStorm wrote:Hey is there any word on what happened to I, Otaku? There's 6 volumes apparently but only 2 have been translated?
Due to lackluster sales, we weren't able to continue it. The license for the series has since reverted back to the Japanese publisher, so we don't have the rights to the series anymore.