The fate of Zero's Familiar (As well as other LN titles)

Archived forum topics for Seven Seas Entertainment's line of licensed manga and novel series and other original properties. To interact with Seven Seas directly, follow us on twitter.com/gomanga or like us on facebook.com/gomanga.
Raiiii

The fate of Zero's Familiar (As well as other LN titles)

Post by Raiiii »

The Light Novel imprint is dead due to poor sales and the high costs involved.
Alright, it's been said hundreds of times that the Light Novel industry is currently lacking in sales (Even Viz with Shakugan no Shana is having a problem with their Light Novel sales). And on my own opinion, it's not going up anytime soon.

The major question I'm asking is this: are the licensing rights of Zero's Familiar as well as other unreleased light novels going to be dropped for other companies to release? Or is it way out of the question?

I've been lurking here quite a while, but finally snapped because I noticed all of the unreleased light novel pages on the SSE site are gone.

Otherwise I'll have to rely on Zaregoto and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya light novels to please me for the next few years.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Re: The fate of Zero's Familiar (As well as other LN titles)

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Raiiii wrote:The major question I'm asking is this: are the licensing rights of Zero's Familiar as well as other unreleased light novels going to be dropped for other companies to release? Or is it way out of the question?
The English-language foreign rights to the first eight Zero's Familiar novels will be held by Seven Seas until the end of contract term. So no, we have no plans to drop the series.

blackrain99

Post by blackrain99 »

I to must say I have enjoyed the quality ( and keep to the original scripting style as much as possible in other series) And I hate to revive a dead topic.... But When does the license expire? You say you have no intent to drop the series.. but I hate to say from my stand point you have almost as much intent to do nothing with it.

Forgive my sounding frustrated at the fact that I see it licensed for a release.. and then watch as nothing ... ever happens.. And I am curious if it ever will at this point. My apologies if anything came off as rude.. I am merely a rather blunt individual.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

We're currently weighing our options.

Nimya

Post by Nimya »

HI~!

I quite new here and all. And I'm just writing here because I have a question... Are there any hope for the english release of Vamp? Every site I've seen, written that the first volume will be released in December, 2009. Is that true? *_*

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Nimya wrote:HI~!

I quite new here and all. And I'm just writing here because I have a question... Are there any hope for the english release of Vamp? Every site I've seen, written that the first volume will be released in December, 2009. Is that true? *_*

We currently don't have any plans to release the Vamp! light novels.

Harukochan

Post by Harukochan »

That's too bad, seeing how popular vampires are anymore.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Harukochan wrote:That's too bad, seeing how popular vampires are anymore.

As far as vampire titles go, Dance in the Vampire Bund is doing amazing for us and we're really excited that there's an anime coming out because it's such a great series.

The "Vamp!" light novels are a different matter, though. The book's content makes the book hard for us to find a place for it in bookstores since we put our light novel line on indefinite hiatus.

Pijon

Post by Pijon »

You should give a shot for Vamp:D If the popular blogs write a good review about this book, it would be a great help in the sales.

If this is a vampire story, logically you have to put it to the fantasy or horror category. (But if I can trust in Google Translate the official genre is thriller, mystery)

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Pijon wrote:You should give a shot for Vamp:D If the popular blogs write a good review about this book, it would be a great help in the sales.

If this is a vampire story, logically you have to put it to the fantasy or horror category. (But if I can trust in Google Translate the official genre is thriller, mystery)
Vamp!'s plot is unlike most other vampire titles in that it's very much a novel with an anime sensibility to it. So it's not the right fit for the fantasy/horror section... nor would it work for the paranormal romance crowd. It's just one of those titles that would only ever work as a light novel aimed at the manga crowd, unfortunately.

Nimya

Post by Nimya »

Adam Arnold wrote: Vamp!'s plot is unlike most other vampire titles in that it's very much a novel with an anime sensibility to it. So it's not the right fit for the fantasy/horror section... nor would it work for the paranormal romance crowd. It's just one of those titles that would only ever work as a light novel aimed at the manga crowd, unfortunately.
Is that problem so serious? I mean, okey, it's a vampire story with anime sensibility, but it's still a great thriller/mystery. So if there isn't any better place for it, why can't it go to the fantasy/horror section?

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Nimya wrote: Is that problem so serious? I mean, okey, it's a vampire story with anime sensibility, but it's still a great thriller/mystery. So if there isn't any better place for it, why can't it go to the fantasy/horror section?
It means the difference between putting out the first book and putting out all three. We just don't see a place for Vamp! in bookstores right now.

Nimya

Post by Nimya »

And will waiting solve the problem?

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Nimya wrote:And will waiting solve the problem?
When we licensed Vamp!, the market was in a different place and the title was going to be part of our second wave of light novels. Those plans changed when our Light Novel imprint didn't pan out. So yes, waiting is the best solution as it carries with it the least amount of risk.

I know you're asking because you want to see the series released, we're just not sure there's enough people like yourself that would be willing to purchase Vamp! if we put it out. Light Novels are very expensive to produce and if they don't sell, we get hit hard with returns of the unsold books.

Nimya

Post by Nimya »

Hmm, I see. It's too risky to release it now. But suppose that there are enough people to buy it, how would you know it?