Blood Alone status?

Archived forum topics for Seven Seas Entertainment's line of licensed manga and novel series and other original properties. To interact with Seven Seas directly, follow us on twitter.com/gomanga or like us on facebook.com/gomanga.
Akcoll99

Blood Alone status?

Post by Akcoll99 »

I've really been enjoying Seven Seas' license rescue of Blood Alone, and reading volume 6 this past week got me wondering about the status of the series. Your page on the Seven Seas website doesn't show a listing for any new volumes beyond #6 and the series' Wikipedia page mentions that it is "on hiatus" in Japan.

Can anyone tell me if the series has indeed been on hold in Japan? Anybody know why, if that is the case? And does Seven Seas plan on releasing any material beyond volume 6?

Thanks so much!

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Re: Blood Alone status?

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Blood Alone changed publishers in Japan right after we licensed Omnibus 1-3, and the singles for Vol. 4, 5, & 6. In Japan, the series is now being published by Kodansha, which has started publishing their own English editions here in North America themselves. We've asked about getting the rights to Blood Alone Vol. 7, but whether we can get it is up in the air at this time (as is when the series is going to come off its new hiatus in Japan).

Akcoll99

Post by Akcoll99 »

Okay, thanks for the reply. I hope to see you guys get volume 7 and beyond because I think you've done a wonderful job with the series so far.

to_aru_Oni

Post by to_aru_Oni »

Any update on the series in Japan (resumed serialization, or still on hiatus)?

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

to_aru_Oni wrote:Any update on the series in Japan (resumed serialization, or still on hiatus)?
I haven't heard anything since the series changed Japanese publishers.

damag0r

Post by damag0r »

I understand the series is still on hiatus, but I'm confused why this is causing you guys trouble getting the license for Vol.7. Any news on this?

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

damag0r wrote:I understand the series is still on hiatus, but I'm confused why this is causing you guys trouble getting the license for Vol.7. Any news on this?
In Japan, Blood Alone changed publishers and is now in the hands of Kodansha, which has their own North American publishing division (they do Sailor Moon, among other titles).

We've asked about the rights a couple of times now, but it's probably not going to happen. Kodansha wants to put out the books they have under their umbrella themselves, so it's not in their interests to give a license to a rival publisher.

damag0r

Post by damag0r »

*sigh*... sounds like I'm going to have THREE versions of vols 1-3 now... and two versions of 4-6 when this is all over... and I'll have to wait extra long for vol.7...

Edit: Sorry, I understand now. I missed what you said in your earlier post about Kodansha being the new publisher... if I had seen that it would have clicked with me before I had to ask. At least that means I will eventually get the rest of this series.

damag0r

Post by damag0r »

Looks like it is finally off of hiatus... but I'm assuming still no luck with the license? I can't find any news that Kodansha is going to make an English release either. I'm kind of annoyed with them really, as I was enjoying your version.

I get the feeling they are just going to sit on it for years and then finally re-do it from scratch... What a waste.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

damag0r wrote:Looks like it is finally off of hiatus... but I'm assuming still no luck with the license? I can't find any news that Kodansha is going to make an English release either. I'm kind of annoyed with them really, as I was enjoying your version.

I get the feeling they are just going to sit on it for years and then finally re-do it from scratch... What a waste.
I doubt we would see a 3rd complete re-do of Blood Alone from Kodansha USA. Blood Alone is a great series, but Kodansha didn't even continue all of the Del Rey series that were left unfinished.

Zeether

Post by Zeether »

Best bet at this point would be a JManga rescue. They've gotten a few Del Rey stuff that didn't continue already.

LibrarianofBabel

Post by LibrarianofBabel »

I think it’s slightly ridiculous that in this case they would not simply give your company the publication rights as they have, at this point in time, not made a move themselves.

To me, this is basically a “Get off the pot” situation. It is coming close to one year since the last English volume of the series was released and a new volume published in Japan since the hiatus.

Your company paid for the license, invested the time and effort in the translation and adaptation, and printed what is a lovely series. Many thanks for that. I can guess that the audience for this series is small comparatively (Well, the one that would pay for the series) to other series but regardless of that there is an audience.

Given Kodansha’s large catalogue, I feel they could spare one title.

Karharot

Post by Karharot »

Is there any chance of you releasing volumes 4-6 as an omnibus or is it also one of those things that you need Kodansha permission for?

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Karharot wrote:Is there any chance of you releasing volumes 4-6 as an omnibus or is it also one of those things that you need Kodansha permission for?
The series changed publishers to Kodansha right after we had licensed 4/5/6 from Media Works for a singles release. We wanted to do an omnibus, but it just wasn't in the cards.

Karharot

Post by Karharot »

Adam Arnold wrote:The series changed publishers to Kodansha right after we had licensed 4/5/6 from Media Works for a singles release. We wanted to do an omnibus, but it just wasn't in the cards.
And all negotiations with them along with any chances of publishing further volumes of Blood Alone in English are still dead? :/
Thanks for the reply, if there will be ever any petition to Kodansha about you getting the rights to publish Blood Alone again you can count me in.