G-pens love'm or hate'm?

Are you looking for tips on how to get started as a comic/manga artist? Maybe you're looking for feedback on works you've already created. Then this is the forum for you! (Note: Ported from Gomanga.com)

Moderator: Harukochan

redprincess

G-pens love'm or hate'm?

Post by redprincess »

I find my pen is fickle. Some times it gives beautiful lines, and a little bit of ink will finish a frame and half, other times, it's a bitch. It keeps breaking up lines or the ink wont flow right, or just doesnt at all. Somedays I can clean my nip of ink once per page, others it's ever few strokes. Sometimes I love my pen, other times I want to stab it into the nearest living thing. lol Those days I'm so tempted to whip out regular pens, but they don't give me the bold color I like.

Am I the only one with this problem? I try to keep my tip clean of ink when not in use (sadly one nib was ruined because I didnt get to clean it fast enough)

So do you love'm or hate'm? How do you care for yours?

yesterdayshero

Re: G-pens love'm or hate'm?

Post by yesterdayshero »

Just ink as fast as possible, I think the problem your having is prolly with the ink. I've had that issue before, the ink was sort of dry, just add a couple of drops of bottled water and shake the ink. To clean my pen I just dip it in water and wipe off all the ink.
ImageImage

redprincess

Post by redprincess »

yeh I clean my pen that way too. But the ink is fine. It, like the pen, somedays works, others it doesnt. It's fairly new, well, newish...

blueyoshimenace

Post by blueyoshimenace »

I just clean it with every three lines I make with toilet paper and some spit. You have to make sure you KNOW HOW TO USE THE PEN. A common problem in Gpens is that the people using the pens don't know how to use the pen nibs at all and blame it on the pen. I have a feeling that's part of the problem.

yesterdayshero

Post by yesterdayshero »

redprincess wrote:yeh I clean my pen that way too. But the ink is fine. It, like the pen, somedays works, others it doesnt. It's fairly new, well, newish...
Hmmmm.... I dunno then 0.o
ImageImage

redprincess

Post by redprincess »

blueyoshimenace wrote:I just clean it with every three lines I make with toilet paper and some spit. You have to make sure you KNOW HOW TO USE THE PEN. A common problem in Gpens is that the people using the pens don't know how to use the pen nibs at all and blame it on the pen. I have a feeling that's part of the problem.

I've been using pen and nibs for years, 3-4 maybe more. I've only been using the g-nib for 2 years, and I have trouble with gnibs more than the others. It just gives me issues from time to time. Although the truth is I learned how to use them myself. I've never found a book about them, just a few side notes in some books.

every 3 lines seems a bit much. lol

blueyoshimenace

Post by blueyoshimenace »

redprincess wrote:
blueyoshimenace wrote:I just clean it with every three lines I make with toilet paper and some spit. You have to make sure you KNOW HOW TO USE THE PEN. A common problem in Gpens is that the people using the pens don't know how to use the pen nibs at all and blame it on the pen. I have a feeling that's part of the problem.

I've been using pen and nibs for years, 3-4 maybe more. I've only been using the g-nib for 2 years, and I have trouble with gnibs more than the others. It just gives me issues from time to time. Although the truth is I learned how to use them myself. I've never found a book about them, just a few side notes in some books.

every 3 lines seems a bit much. lol
Good line width quality and pen care is nothing to "lol" about MisterSister

tiffa

Post by tiffa »

owut.. I use G-pen nibs to ink all my stuff since like 2002 o.o Never had a problem with them. I just make sure to rinse them thoroughly after using it and towel dry. Make sure to store it in a dry place... I used the neko piko ink bottles. After a while the nib wears out - creats a split line or the ink wont' flow normally. That's time to change to a new nib x.x I'm pretty sure I got at least 50 manga pages out of one nib.

yesterdayshero

Post by yesterdayshero »

tiffa wrote:owut.. I use G-pen nibs to ink all my stuff since like 2002 o.o Never had a problem with them. I just make sure to rinse them thoroughly after using it and towel dry. Make sure to store it in a dry place... I used the neko piko ink bottles. After a while the nib wears out - creats a split line or the ink wont' flow normally. That's time to change to a new nib x.x I'm pretty sure I got at least 50 manga pages out of one nib.
I change nibs every 6 to 12 pages, I've heard of some professional Mangaka that change nibs everypage. I still think Princess' problems with teh ink. >D
ImageImage

redprincess

Post by redprincess »

I'm not sure if it's the ink or not, but I think I'll buy a different brand of ink to try. Any suggestions?

yesterdayshero

Post by yesterdayshero »

Oh man I dunno try around, it took me a while to find decent ink where I'm living currently, Walmart a couple of years back sold Daler-Rowney black india ink for a $1 I dunno if they still do.
ImageImage

shutupadrian

Post by shutupadrian »

I use Koh-I-Noor drawing ink, mostly because I read somewhere that's what Bryan Lee O'Malley uses.

Seems to work just fine for me, but I haven't really tried much else.