Sound effects?

Are you looking for tips on how to get started as a comic/manga artist? Maybe you're looking for feedback on works you've already created. Then this is the forum for you! (Note: Ported from Gomanga.com)

Moderator: Harukochan

sarydactl

Sound effects?

Post by sarydactl »

How do you guys handle/read sound effects?

Personally, maybe because I'm used to seeing them in another language, I don't read them. Ever. Even the English ones. Am I the only one who does this?

I was also wondering how you guys do sound effects. Do you use fonts and text effects, or draw them yourself? Or do you use them at all? I /do/ use them in manga, but they're usually small text, not anything artistic. I rarely use actual words as well, choosing to sound out the...er, sound effects, instead of using standard onomatopoeia. I dunno, just curious about how other people handle them :> .

yesterdayshero

Re: Sound effects?

Post by yesterdayshero »

sarydactl wrote:How do you guys handle/read sound effects?

Personally, maybe because I'm used to seeing them in another language, I don't read them. Ever. Even the English ones. Am I the only one who does this?

I was also wondering how you guys do sound effects. Do you use fonts and text effects, or draw them yourself? Or do you use them at all? I /do/ use them in manga, but they're usually small text, not anything artistic. I rarely use actual words as well, choosing to sound out the...er, sound effects, instead of using standard onomatopoeia. I dunno, just curious about how other people handle them :> .

I don't usually use sound effects, but when I do I use Dos XX errrr... I mean, I usually draw them out...for a piece of meat on the grill I use "Z-------------------Z" I know its terrible... lol
ImageImage

redprincess

Post by redprincess »

I use them. Well I use japanese ones. I have trouble finding proper sounds FXs when I'm writing in english, yet japanese as so many to express so much. I find they can enhance a scene. Although I can read japanese FXs so I dont have issue there, however I do know it's sometimes hard to place them.

My friend rarely uses them when she draws comics, which is a shame, there are plenty of missed opportunities when you don't use them.

I think it helps add a visual for me. Like the difference between looking at a photo or being in the actual place. The photo you get just the image, but the place you get the image and sounds and smells of the real place. I put alot of effort into the whole of the story, characters backgrounds, locations, etc to get my reader more into the world, I think it helps adding sound, just one more step into making it real for them.

But thats me

StrateryB

Post by StrateryB »

I read them...I pay a lot of attention to them actually. I think it really helps readers understand and feel what's going on, since SFXs are sounds it's like an imaginary audio plus visuals...not sure if that made sense, ha ha.

When I myself use them, I draw them by hand and it's all in English. English SFXs can be just as effective and look just as good and I personally prefer them.

shutupadrian

Post by shutupadrian »

Generally, I like the sound effects that are integrated into the image so they don't overwhelm the image itself, and my preference is for hand-drawn letters for sound effects.

Personally, I find that I don't really use a lot of sfx, aside from the scenes that are supposed to be dominated by sound... ...with some exceptions.

As an aside, sound effects that are actual words are pretty amusing, in my opinion. Too bad that doesn't come naturally to me.

Faith Erin Hicks, on the other hand, she's so good at that.
http://superherogirladventures.blogspot.com/