Tokyopop stops publishing manga

Are you looking for tips on how to get started as a comic/manga artist? Maybe you're looking for feedback on works you've already created. Then this is the forum for you! (Note: Ported from Gomanga.com)

Moderator: Harukochan

yesterdayshero

Tokyopop stops publishing manga

Post by yesterdayshero »

ImageImage

MrUnReady

Re: Tokyopop stops publishing manga

Post by MrUnReady »

Kind of sort of bad for us English readers. x_x And yet, at the same time....... If they didn't see this coming with all their spending on "road trips" and "movie making" then they were just asking for it. >__>;
ⓛ____ⓛ;

redprincess

Post by redprincess »

It's a bit of sad news, they are the only company publishing Nanae Chrono and shes one of my favorite artists/writers. That and Minekura Kazuya. I hope someone picks both of them up. :/ I think DelRey only does Kodasha series, but I may be wrong.

shutupadrian

Post by shutupadrian »

Slightly off topic, here's Bryan Lee O'Malley's (Scott Pilgrim) rant on Tokyopop from 2008 for anyone who hadn't come across it yet. It's a bit of a moot point now that TPop is dead, but it should still give some insight as to what to look out for if/when you're signing a publishing deal.

http://radiomaru.com/2008/05/27/statement/
They have this new Manga Pilot program. It’s a thing where you come up with a great idea, you toil over it and create a 24-36 page comic, they put it online with a bunch of other submissions, and “the people” decide who wins. Or, y’know, whatever.

The contract for this fun deal is horrible, draconian, ridiculous. It’s like Satan wrote it. I can’t believe Tokyopop is getting away with this in broad daylight.

sarydactl

Post by sarydactl »

Honestly I don't mind. The main downside is I haven't finished buying the whole Dragon Knights collection (it's a really old manga, hard to come by...). Perhaps without a leading company that focuses on branding Japanese manga as the only authentic manga, american-styled manga will have more room to grow. And let's face it, the OEL manga Tokyopop put out...well...could have been better orz . I think they're chasing the money that's to be had in movie-making. More power to them, and more room for us.

tgyenpress

Post by tgyenpress »

^ Yep, TP is investing money into film making.

Stu Levy probably went: "Screw manga publishing! Borders owes us and my company downsized to strip bare n' bones! We have nothing now!! I don't care about manga anymore! I want to go help people in Japan. Yes! That's what I should do. And Priest will give me a run for my money. *grins*"

Manga readers: "............ Well, screw you too. Many of us stopped liking your company for some time. Go explore your new passion! That's nice that you're helping the Japanese out, although, we smell you're going to profit from this too. But, if you don't mind since you're all the way across the Pacific, some of us would travel over to Los Angeles to throw rocks at your company for leaving many titles unfinished."

Stu Levy: ".......Whatever. I'm gonna do some community service now while filming this! See ya!" *disappears*

Manga readers: "Maybe, we should sue him next?"

yesterdayshero

Post by yesterdayshero »

tgyenpress wrote:^ Yep, TP is investing money into film making.

Stu Levy probably went: "Screw manga publishing! Borders owes us and my company downsized to strip bare n' bones! We have nothing now!! I don't care about manga anymore! I want to go help people in Japan. Yes! That's what I should do. And Priest will give me a run for my money. *grins*"

Manga readers: "............ Well, screw you too. Many of us stopped liking your company for some time. Go explore your new passion! That's nice that you're helping the Japanese out, although, we smell you're going to profit from this too. But, if you don't mind since you're all the way across the Pacific, some of us would travel over to Los Angeles to throw rocks at your company for leaving many titles unfinished."

Stu Levy: ".......Whatever. I'm gonna do some community service now while filming this! See ya!" *disappears*

Manga readers: "Maybe, we should sue him next?"
While I was working last year, as a blinds man, we went to the Wilrshire(?) Tower in LA and I passed by the Mixx entertanment offices, and was all like "Wait a tick, isn't that Tokyopop?" they had a fuckton of figures in reception... I sadly had no rocks...

Also, NO MOAR MARIA+HOLIC??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ImageImage

tgyenpress

Post by tgyenpress »

^ No rocks? Awwww... D: Darn it.

There goes Plan A. Thanks for the report! *goes to plan Plan B*

lashagiorgi

Post by lashagiorgi »

Sigh a really depressing news to hear

Dai

Post by Dai »

Great. Where are we supposed to find the latest volume of Priest now?!

Reven

Post by Reven »

I new Tokyopops rising stars of manga line was sinister from the start.