Gail Simone offers tips for newly successful writers

Are you looking for tips on how to get started as a comic/manga artist? Maybe you're looking for feedback on works you've already created. Then this is the forum for you! (Note: Ported from Gomanga.com)

Moderator: Harukochan

shutupadrian

Gail Simone offers tips for newly successful writers

Post by shutupadrian »

Saw this article via iFanboy.

So maybe it isn't so relevant here where most of us still use the term 'aspiring,' but worth a read, IMO.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/red-room/ ... 44342.html
4) Trust Your Gut, Or Your Friends' Guts, Or Something.

Many writers aren't aware of this, but there's a virus that writers give off, that somehow forces everyone around them to give their opinions on how that writer's story should go. These people don't mean to be rude, they think they're being helpful, even when their advice is something like, "Can't the killer be a robot?"

You may be tempted to run over these people with your cars, and if this list were just a little bit longer, I would cover some excellent suggestions on how to get away with it. But a better piece of advice might be to remember that it's your story. You may be forced into a writing committee. But your writing is still yours, no matter what the contract or your editor might say. Trust your gut. It knows when you're screwing up. Your brain will lie to you. It loves the paycheck, it loves positive feedback. Your gut is under no obligation to make you feel good.

And, if possible, find some writers and readers who won't lie to you. Just a couple, or you run the risk of getting contradictory good advice and that way lies flying polar bears and killer robots.
Incidentally, I became first familiar with Gail Simone's work after coming across her 'Women In Refrigerators' article. (link below). I think she may have softened her stance or simply "things have changed since that was written," but the article and the issues it raises are still worth bearing in mind.

http://www.unheardtaunts.com/wir/index.html

One other thing, this is obviously not directly manga related, but still very relevant to the act of creating, I believe.

yesterdayshero

Re: Gail Simone offers tips for newly successful writers

Post by yesterdayshero »

I like this, keep posting stuff like this, we need all the info we can get... ~_~
ImageImage

sarydactl

Post by sarydactl »

"Then, when they become your competition, destroy them as only a former friend can." MUHAHAHAHAHAHA. :piratemad:

Er I mean, let's work together, guys :D .

yesterdayshero

Post by yesterdayshero »

sarydactl wrote:"Then, when they become your competition, destroy them as only a former friend can." MUHAHAHAHAHAHA. :piratemad:

Er I mean, let's work together, guys :D .
ImageImage

laurbits

Post by laurbits »

Thanks for sharing the great article, Adrian! Just watched the animated DC movie, Wonder Woman, recently and Gail's writing is sharp, witty and hilarious as ever.

Misaki Tetsuya

Post by Misaki Tetsuya »

4) Trust Your Gut, Or Your Friends' Guts, Or Something.

You may be tempted to run over these people with your cars, and if this list were just a little bit longer, I would cover some excellent suggestions on how to get away with it.
I want to know more about this.