Black And White need feedback

Are you looking for tips on how to get started as a comic/manga artist? Maybe you're looking for feedback on works you've already created. Then this is the forum for you! (Note: Ported from Gomanga.com)

Moderator: Harukochan

lashagiorgi

Re: Black And White need feedback

Post by lashagiorgi »

This thread got somehow active.interesting...Sorry but, may i ask what does "weeaboo-ish" or "weeaboos" mean?

P.S most character's of my story are Japanese and most action is in Japan,cause most experiance from what i got from anime/mangas basicly are in Japan and somehow it will turn out funny,i think.Also there will be many various characters in the story,cause the main character will be travelling in many countries.USA,Britain,Russia,France,Germany,Georgia,Japan,Italy and probably more.Main character will recruit foreigners and every single character willl have very special personalities.For exmaple Russian will be with wiskers and always be drinking "Vodka".German will be a strict person,will look like hitler a bit,French guy is Jan le'botout (he's a hopless romantic,with a funny accent),we Georgians are good hosts,we like to have traditional meals,so rest will be described in the story.
Last edited by utareabacmav on Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yesterdayshero

Post by yesterdayshero »

lashagiorgi wrote:This thread got somehow active.interesting...Sorry but, may i ask what does "weeaboo-ish" or "weeaboos" mean?
1. Weeaboo
Someone who is obsessed with Japan/Japanese Culture/Anime, etc. and attempts to act as if they were Japanese, even though they're far from it. They use Japanese words but usually end up pronouncing them wrong and sounding like total assholes. You can find alot of these faggots clogging up the forums of Gaia Online, hanging out in the international aisle of the supermarket, or crowding the manga section of your local bookstore. Synonym of wapanese.

I told that weeaboo girl over there that Inuyasha sucks. She slapped me across the face and proceded to cuss me out in Japanese.

from Urban Dictionary
ImageImage

lashagiorgi

Post by lashagiorgi »

So to your oppinion is it better to remove those Japanese words and only leave the words that actually require to show their expression and the ways they adress to each other?(mean words like "San,Chan,Dono,Sama" and many words that have formal and informal ways of pronounciation)

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »

cause most experiance from what i got from anime/mangas basicly are in Japan and somehow it will turn out funny,i think.
Not really. As I've said to many people who thought like you before, that's not a good enough reason to go full-on Japan. The anime and manga you watched and read set in Japan are done so because they're written by Japanese people, who are writing what they know, since Japan is what they grew up with. Japan is not what you grew up with, however, so anything you do trying to copy them will pale in comparison. Besides, how is it supposed to turn out funny?
USA,Britain,Russia,France,Germany,Georgia,Japan,Italy and probably more.Main character will recruit foreigners and every single character willl have very special personalities.For exmaple Russian will be with wiskers and always be drinking "Vodka".German will be a strict person,will look like hitler a bit,French guy is Jan le'botout (he's a hopless romantic,with a funny accent),we Georgians are good hosts,we like to have traditional meals,so rest will be described in the story.
Those aren't really "very special personalities" so much as rather common and played out national stereotypes. This is fine if you don't want your story to be the least bit serious, but isn't really interesting. On the other hand, I will admit I know little about Georgian national stereotypes; that said, the "Georgian" stereotype you describe sounds like it would just as easily fit those from the American state as the Caucasian republic. But yeah, the silly, lovestruck Pepe le Pew-style Frenchman is overdone to the point of parody, the only Germans who are stereotypically strict and look like Hitler probably aren't the kind you want to make a hero of, and a bearded drunkard for a Russian may seem a bit out of place in a Russia currently personified by a clean-shaven teetotaler.
So to your oppinion is it better to remove those Japanese words and only leave the words that actually require to show their expression and the ways they adress to each other?(mean words like "San,Chan,Dono,Sama" and many words that have formal and informal ways of pronounciation)
You should probably cut those, too, as much as possible, unless you really know the rules for Japanese language. For instance, the Russian mafia has become a frequent antagonist in Western media. These mobsters rarely speak perfect (or even very good) Russian, since the writers generally don't know a damned thing about the Russian language. And this is just standard Russian; they don't even try to replicate Fenya, assuming they even know about it.

yesterdayshero

Post by yesterdayshero »

lashagiorgi wrote:So to your oppinion is it better to remove those Japanese words and only leave the words that actually require to show their expression and the ways they adress to each other?(mean words like "San,Chan,Dono,Sama" and many words that have formal and informal ways of pronounciation)
Eh....not really, while I do like it with dubs/subs where they respect this (the -san -chan etc) We really shouldn't be using them since we're not Japanese IMO if you want to write/draw Japanese influenced comics you really need to dump all the Japanese-ness, and take it in an original direction, as Lord Styphon said "We have the Japanese for Japanese oriented stories" which is true, now try to think about how it would look if a Japanese kid wrote a Hollywood movie about American stoners or something it would be werid. Cuz' even if the said Japanese kid WAS a stoner, he really wouldn't know what American stoner do while stoned...wow, thats a bad example but that's the first thing I thought of...
- -' but you see my point? it would be werid if it ever made it to the public, which it most likey won't.
ImageImage

lashagiorgi

Post by lashagiorgi »

Hmmm...interesting...Even though I already thought out how would the second arc begin,i may now completly change the directions and phases of the story.Even though i already made "Rin's" child Japanese(Gin) and there are already too many japanese characters in the story,in the "Fully completed Chapters V2" i may change some facts,cause i don't want it to be too weeaboo-ish.But still gonna use some words in Japanese,german or etc,to show how people adress to each other,fromal or informal.For example word hello or hi, "konicewa" (japanese more formal),"zdrastvui"(Russian formal) "privet" or zdarova (rusian more infromal) , "Merhaba" (Turkish,pronounced meraba,casual) , Bonjour (French,pronounced something like bojo,j is more light,casual and formal as well) , Guten Tag (German,Formal,pronounced Guten Tak), Buon giorno! (Italian,Formal,pronounced bonjorno) , Gamarjobat (Georgian,formal) Gamarjoba or salami (casual).

lashagiorgi

Post by lashagiorgi »

Art of one of the novel's character,Rim

Version 1

Version 2

Another test image.Hair didn't turn out quite well.

Another One.This one is better than the last one,i think.
Last edited by utareabacmav on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shutupadrian

Post by shutupadrian »

lashagiorgi wrote:Art of one of the novel's character,Rim
Aaron Diaz (Dresden Codak) has a couple blogposts about character design that you may (or may not) find helpful.

Costumes: the Wearable Dialog
http://dresdencodak.tumblr.com/post/241 ... ble-dialog

Figures: They Speak For Themselves (mildly NSFW)
http://dresdencodak.tumblr.com/post/358 ... ildly-nsfw

lashagiorgi

Post by lashagiorgi »

Project closed,forgotten,uninteresting reached 151 readers though,stopped at chapter 12 long ago.Admin,moderators you might as well close this thread,before finishing i might as well share some artwork i managed to draw

Don't know who this is,i think it's from some game or something.unfinished image.

Kanako Kurusu From "My sister can't be this cute"

This was suposed to be Character from my novel.Mariko or Mari(just to be noted this isn't a Japanese name,some people thought it as Japanese).

Annie the Dark child from "League Of Legends"

Female Dwarf From "Lineage 2"