What got you hooked on manga?

Whether your tastes lean towards playing Halo or watching DVDs all day, this is the place to chat about anime, video games, TV shows, movies, toys, and more.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

CMB

What got you hooked on manga?

Post by CMB »

I got hooked back in the early 80's on Capt. Harlock that I mail ordered from Bud Plant. How about you?

guillx

Post by guillx »

a shonen jump magazine I bought in 6th grade,
thought there was dragonball before that

All_Hail_Otakudom

Post by All_Hail_Otakudom »

Shounen Jump a friend let me borrow in 5th grade. I remember what I was reading, Naruto. When Naruto went nine-tails on Haku. It was my 1st manga experience. Then I got into Karin (Chibi Vampire), and that is still one of my favorite series. Next to Higurashi, Umineko, Negima!, & Reborn.
[b]USO DA!![/b]
[img]http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6273/jopjwitchhunter.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/2971/sigwitchhunter.jpg[/img]

guillx

Post by guillx »

the first shonen jump you read was the onee just before the first one I read XD

Harukochan

Post by Harukochan »

It was an issue of the Oh My Goddess! manga. Then an issue of the Pokemon manga years later.

Euphenia

Post by Euphenia »

My sister brought home the first disc of fruits basket, and we watched it. I was in the third grade. Then I watched anime and eventually got super hooked on manga! :lightnovel:

Wakarimasen001

Post by Wakarimasen001 »

CLAMP.
"May the flame of moe burn forever!" -Satou Tatsuhiro, Welcome to the N.H.K.

Mifune

Post by Mifune »

Marvel Superheroes...huh? That's not a manga? Sorry, but you're wrong, considering that manga means comic book (or is graphic novel more accurate?). Regardless, what got me hook to Japanese comics is the fact my Grandmother is Japanese and as a child I obsessed with learning about the Japanese culture. Believe it or not, Japanese cartoons (anime) and Japanese comics (manga) was something I discovered long after learning of samurai, shinobi, and katana. Though I admit, I learned most of Japanese culture from watching these cartoons and reading those comics.

My first was probably fan translated Naruto (much better than the VIZ translation). My favorite is Ghost in the Shell...er...Appleseed...? Can I just say that Masamune Shirow is my favorite comic (anything he writes is gold in my eyes).
Fiat Justitia, Ne Pereat Mundus!
Let Justice Be Done, Lest the World Perish!

Ryokosha
Hidden Lawsuit

Post by Ryokosha »

Love Hina, it was one of the first stories, series, which grabbed me to the point I didn't want to wait for the next volume; this was a big change from the old way of waiting and forgotting at times to pick up the next volume in a series, something that is not happening now, and something I think Fushigi Yugi could have done if it had been read prior to Love Hina.
It gives one a great sense of satisfaction to do it in perfect unison. Michelle Cheung