Aoi House Omnibus - Omnibus vs. Single Volumes Question?

Follow the trials and tribulations of two down-on-their-luck college guys who join an anime club dominated by crazed yaoi fangirls! (Archived forum section.)

Moderator: Adam_Arnold

zenaku

Aoi House Omnibus - Omnibus vs. Single Volumes Question?

Post by zenaku »

So, I was looking at the page about the Aoi House books. Now, the individual collections have 200 pages each. While the two volume Omnibus' contain 352 pages each. So... whats on the other 48 pages? Am I going to be missing parts of the story if I buy the Omnibus instead of the individual books?

Also, is there any storylines in the books that isn't in the webmanga?

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Re: Aoi House Omnibus: Missing pages?

Post by Adam_Arnold »

zenaku wrote:So, I was looking at the page about the Aoi House books. Now, the individual collections have 200 pages each. While the two volume Omnibus' contain 352 pages each. So... whats on the other 48 pages? Am I going to be missing parts of the story if I buy the Omnibus instead of the individual books?

Also, is there any storylines in the books that isn't in the webmanga?
Ah, good question. But let me start by putting your mind at ease... There are no missing story pages. I can attest to that as I was the person that put together the omnibus editions.

So here's the full explanation:

1) Each Aoi House volume has around 150 pages of actual sequential artwork (i.e. story pages). Then you throw in the Chapter Title Page artwork and other miscellaneous filler art (pin-ups, small chibi art, and such) to help keep spreads appearing where they should. Then you have actual book content... Book title page, copyright page, table of contents, extras, ads for other books, and whatever else. So your 165-170 or so pages of art ends up being 192 or 208 when printed.

2) For the Omnibus Editions, you don't need all those Book Title, Copyright, Contents, etc Pages, so you remove them and just create a single set. You also remove all the ads and put in new ones, if you have the room.

For any extras contained in the original single volumes, those are considered on a volume by volume basis depending on how many pages we have left after calculating what the page count is when we combine all the actual story pages. So rest assured that none of the story pages get removed. You get the complete story just as you would if you bought the individual volumes.

So extras...
Aoi House Omnibus 1 contains what I view as the most important extras of all: The "Student Files" character bio pages, the crossword/membership card pages, and "The Lost Scene" strip.
Aoi House Omnibus 2 contains all of the 4-Koma that we did for Newtype USA (reprinted in black and white).
Those are all viewed as "essential" components of the Aoi House experience, so those were all included.
What was not carried over from the individual volumes were the "Aoi Notes" sections where I talked about topics on a per book basis. There were four pages of those per book and they're not at all essential reading and were pretty outdated. I also didn't have room to include the black and white gallery of Aoi House character chibis from Aoi House Vol. 2, but you can find those all online (and in color). And lastly, there was a farewell page from Shiei that followed the final Aoi Notes section in "Aoi House In Love! Vol. 2" that we couldn't include in the second omnibus. And obviously, if you wanted the 4-Koma in color, you would have to pick up the individual volume of Aoi House In Love! to get those.

But again, the Aoi House Omnibus were put together by myself, so they have my full stamp of approval all over them.

Hope that answers your question!

vanityisdead

Re: Aoi House Omnibus - Omnibus vs. Single Volumes Question?

Post by vanityisdead »

im buying the single volumes for completeness.
the first two still havent arrived from amazon , but they probsly will on monday,
i bought the death note omnibus though , and loved it. cant find volume 2 though and i really want to find out the goings on with light yagami and the rest.( i know its a viz title but i figured it contributed to the conversation)
Death becomes her.
this movie is campy and full of win.

Mad' Ern' Hell'
Meryl Streep , Bruce Willis and Goldie Hawn

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

The singles of Aoi House In Love! Vol. 1 & 2 do have color pages that Aoi House Omnibus Collection 2 doesn't have. And all the singles do have "Aoi Notes" sections, which the omnibus don't.

vanityisdead

Post by vanityisdead »

that is exactly why i bought them .
Death becomes her.
this movie is campy and full of win.

Mad' Ern' Hell'
Meryl Streep , Bruce Willis and Goldie Hawn