Dangerously Chloe 6-12-18 You Really Hurt Her

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Gotoh

Re: Dangerously Chloe 6-12-18 You Really Hurt Her

Post by Gotoh »

Fluffy wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:26 pm
If they're happier apart, it doesn't take a stretch of the imagination to think they didn't get along when they were together.
Again, we only have Teddy's say-so on that matter, but he never said his parents weren't getting along. It's entirely possible to go from a good, or comfortable, relationship to a better one. There are also couples who divorce amicably and the reasons most often given is that they were either better off as friends, or that the relationship wasn't what they thought it'd be.

In the time that we saw him.Lance never spoke ill of his ex. If things were as bad between them as you're assuming, you'd think Lance would've mentioned it now that he has a new "wife".

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

The fact that Lance leaves Teddy in charge of minding Abby in his absence/leaves his kids in the custody of a new wife he barely even knows instead of leaving them in the custody of his ex wife speaks volumes on how amicable things are between the DeCarlo parents.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@Fluffy: As far as his ex is aware, he cheated on her with her sister. So it wouldn't surprise me if she isn't speaking to him now (though she'd also be ignoring their kids). But that doesn't tell us what their marriage was like prior to Chloe causing their divorce.

Fereshte

Post by Fereshte »

We see how devestated the mother is when she finds out her husband is cheating on her. She goes from seemingly catatonic to crying to angry. Someone who isn’t happy in the marriage doesn’t usually go through the first two emotions. She looks like a woman blindsided. Someone in a bad marriage might have made an angry comment about knowing it was going to happen or that he was always a scumbag or that she suspected xyz, etc etc. I think that was why this scene always bothered me—it looked like a happily married woman blindsided by her cheating husband. It’s sad. And while I don’t agree with her leaving her kids over it, maybe the whole thing broke her. Teddy might say they’re happy apart but he also was young when it happened so what does he know? And after 5/6 years, most people would be happy apart because so much time has past. It doesn’t mean their marriage was always destined to end. To me, this is the worst thing Chloe ever did or could’ve done—she took a family and broke it. Broke a marriage and broke apart two sisters which also probably put a strain on her relationship with her parents. It just branches out from there.

dmra

Post by dmra »

The problem with speculating about Teddy and Abby's mother is that she is simply the closest to them victim of the need for the story not to have any sensible and responsible adult authority figures.

If there was a parent at home the story simply couldn't work in the same way. Just as no real life school would let Teddi's story of an overnight sex change operation go without serious challenge neither would many parents simply accept a girl moving into their home without asking lots of awkward questions and generally getting in the way of the plot.

So Lance is away from work and then charmed by Pandora when he does appear while the Mother simply disappears without a word of explanation. And I strongly suspect that Lance only showed up because that was necessary for Pandora's you had sex with your mother "prank" on Teddi.

Having Chloe be the cause of the break-up then served multiple purposes. It set up the situation where she could move into the home without too many questions. It helped establish her character as the person who gets it wrong every time she tries to help as well as moving the story along in a darkly funny way.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

JoybuzzerX wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:22 pm
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:11 am
DocMesa wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:56 am
You know, given the amount of highly manipulative/exploitative sex Teddy/i has had over the past few months, it wouldn't surprise me if he/she ended up roasting in the fires of the afterlife even without the pact. At least Chloe has the excuse that as a sex demon, she abides by sex demon morals, whereas Teddy/i still has a human soul with the human morals that tend to go with it.
I don't want to give credit to what is most likely laziness on the part of the writers, but devil's advocate (no pun intended), perhaps there is some intentional irony with a person accidentally getting damned to Hell and then through their actions to escape, eventually becomes more than deserving of being cast down to Hell.
Everything he did was to escape death. Then to pay for escaping said death. Even all the sex was about trying to find someone who could survive sleeping with Chloe or because he had aspects to him that weren't human anymore and he couldn't control them.

Not to mention, everything that made him less human, including the pact, weren't his doing.
Not accurate. He went on a self-righteous quest to "save" Chloe by getting someone to take her virginity, thereby giving her better control of her powers; since the fatality risk was absolute, he chose not to find some supernatural entity to do the deed, like a vampire or werewolf (which exist in this comic's universe), but rather opted to *test* potential human suitors, despite Pandora - in one of her few moments of honesty - confirmed it is impossible for a mortal man to survive sex with a virgin succubus. Does Teddy change the plan? No, he continues to bang every random former bully and eventually random girls; he/she forgets the purpose of his "plan" to the point where they don't even seem to know they out to "save Chloe," unless explicitly reminded and even then, he excuses himself from his own claimed responsibility. The sluttiness is irritating, though the thing that take sit over the edge was the pheromone mind influencing - Teddi didn't realise they were doing it at first, but they did eventually catch on, yet continued to abuse the power in a barely mentioned "ends justifying the means."

While the initial distortion of his flesh wasn't his doing, there was enough evidence that Teddi/y knew exactly what the ramifications of their actions were once they acclimatised to the change, to make any rationale of "oh, he can't help himself" hollow at best.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

vampire hunter D wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:58 am
I can't enjoy this forum anymore...
This is the third or fourth time I've seen you make a comment like this. Are you like us, the ones who strongly dislike the direction of the comic, who only stay because we were there at the start and have invested too much time into it to leave now?
I was making a comparison to show we aren't all that different, but to clarify: do you keep coming back to the forums because you've spent too much time here to quit, so you remain in spite of disliking the content?

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Fluffy wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:11 pm
brasca wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:51 pm
Master of 7s wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:22 am
This strip literally makes no sense. What the hell does Teddy/i have to be sorry for? After the few months of comic time this story has taken place in, are we expected to believe that some kind of emotional bond has taken place?

The contract has been fulfilled despite Chloe's unyielding incompetence. There is no justification for this reaction other than lazy writing.
Teddi has done a lot to save Chloe’s life. Now if she was reacting this way about Pandora I would agree with this assessment.
What had he done, exactly, to help Chloe?

He slept around with a bunch of guys, trying to find the perfect sacrificial victim to punch her V card in his place - despite the fact he was repeatedly told by a sexually experienced succubus (Pandora) that a mortal male would not suffice/would die horrifically. And how many times did he need to be reminded what his intended purpose was for sleeping with all these people, in the first place?

The only real potentially helpful thing he did in order to save Chloe's life was injecting himself with angel blood in a risky gamble to make himself strong enough to - finally - take responsibility for his part of the contract and punch her V card himself; which he almost immediately got distracted from because of the whole God/split into two thing and seemed to only remember Chloe was still part of his life when a drunken Charity pointed out his link to her was gone.

And it still doesn't answer the question of how they ever had enough time to spend together in order to establish any kind of bond to get this kind of reaction from either one of them now that the link has been broken. Honestly, most of the time they spent together, Chloe was making Teddy's life a living Hell and Teddy wasn't enjoying any of it. How does one build a strong, loving connection based on that?
You more or less explained the points you brought up well, so the final paragraph:
I think we are supposed to "care" because they are the main characters. Not the best reason but quite frankly the only justification. As you've noted, they've scarcely spent any time bonding, especially since the magical sex change and whoring saga, thus the audience has no reason besides *MAIN CHARACTERS* to care. That's technically answering a different question than the one you posed, however, it seems to be the reason it got so dramatic; as for a "strong, loving connection," well, their main connection seems to be one of mutual if disproportionate abuse... Not loving, but is rather strong.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:17 am
JoybuzzerX wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:22 pm
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:11 am

I don't want to give credit to what is most likely laziness on the part of the writers, but devil's advocate (no pun intended), perhaps there is some intentional irony with a person accidentally getting damned to Hell and then through their actions to escape, eventually becomes more than deserving of being cast down to Hell.
Everything he did was to escape death. Then to pay for escaping said death. Even all the sex was about trying to find someone who could survive sleeping with Chloe or because he had aspects to him that weren't human anymore and he couldn't control them.

Not to mention, everything that made him less human, including the pact, weren't his doing.
Not accurate. He went on a self-righteous quest to "save" Chloe by getting someone to take her virginity, thereby giving her better control of her powers; since the fatality risk was absolute, he chose not to find some supernatural entity to do the deed, like a vampire or werewolf (which exist in this comic's universe), but rather opted to *test* potential human suitors, despite Pandora - in one of her few moments of honesty - confirmed it is impossible for a mortal man to survive sex with a virgin succubus. Does Teddy change the plan? No, he continues to bang every random former bully and eventually random girls; he/she forgets the purpose of his "plan" to the point where they don't even seem to know they out to "save Chloe," unless explicitly reminded and even then, he excuses himself from his own claimed responsibility. The sluttiness is irritating, though the thing that take sit over the edge was the pheromone mind influencing - Teddi didn't realise they were doing it at first, but they did eventually catch on, yet continued to abuse the power in a barely mentioned "ends justifying the means."

While the initial distortion of his flesh wasn't his doing, there was enough evidence that Teddi/y knew exactly what the ramifications of their actions were once they acclimatised to the change, to make any rationale of "oh, he can't help himself" hollow at best.
Didn't she say unlikely versus none at all?

Though, I'm trying to recall what he did after that. However, after running for his life he found he loved where he was and got lost in it? Makes sense. Road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Which could've been the plan of the pact. :o

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

JoybuzzerX wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:01 am
Didn't she say unlikely versus none at all?

Though, I'm trying to recall what he did after that. However, after running for his life he found he loved where he was and got lost in it? Makes sense. Road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Which could've been the plan of the pact. :o
I think a mortal being able to survive sex with a virgin succubus was stated as basically so unlikely that it was tantamount to impossible, like winning jackpots from ten different lotteries at the same time. Despite the many coincidences in the story, that was an element too briefly addressed to become actually true.

I don't know about "he found he loved where he was and got lost in it." I wouldn't entirely disagree, as it is accurate. I guess the problem is that Teddy had other options to find, but was either arrogant or foolish enough to think his/her human and slightly succubi senses could accurately assess the sexual prowess of people, when Teddi had no concept of what the parameters for "satisfying and/or surviving succubi" truly were. So, it just seems like callous hedonism, over *testing* suitors.

That is an interesting point about the pact. It is plausible. I think it isn't likely, but it is still plausible.

Strawberrycocoa

Post by Strawberrycocoa »

I was confused when Chloe got heartbroken over the pact and I guess I still am. Teddy's been having sex all over the place for the entire comic, but I guess falling "in love" with another person was the kicker that broke it, and Chloe was hoping to be the one he loved in the end?

I feel like Chloe's been absent from the story so long that I'm not clear on her motivations anymore, and Teddy's been sleeping around so much that I'm unclear if he "loves" Chloe or if that's kind of faded.

Absinthe Green

Post by Absinthe Green »

Gotoh wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:53 pm
Absinthe Green wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:59 pm
By that logic, anyone slapping on a splash of aftershave, eau de toilette - hell, anyone who knowingly employs a deodorizing crystal - is by definition instigating Date Rape.</Reductio Ad Absurdum>
As long as you're linking to logical fallicies, you should try reading "false equivalency".

Deodorant doesn't override sexual preference, or free agency. Teddy's pheromones do, because we saw it happen and so did he.
The biggest Fasle Equivlancies here that is (a) the "Supernatural Rape!" yahoos forgetting pheremones simply don't have that kind of power IRL. They certanly nudge &/shove &/ grease the skids in the likelyhood of some Slap-n'-Tickle happening, but they don't override either will or agency. The effects of pheremones are certainly exaggerated for effect within the context of the Dangerously Chloe narrative & the characters in Dangerously Chloe have repetedly proven they don't need to be under the influence of any kind of phermonal mojo to make slapsticky misfires of judgement out of sheer horniness. False Equivalency (b) is the "Supernatural Rape!" goofs implying by their aguments their insistence that Dangerously Chloe & the events that take place therein be read is an honest-to-goodness Document Of Behaviour instead of a Fictional Narrative. Oy.

If the "Supernatural Rape!" schlubs like that kind of self-inflicted migraine, they're free to knock themselves out, but they have to quit being coy, come out of the closet & take ownership &/ responsibility for their masochism. Those of us aware that Dangerously Chloe's primary element is Lightharted Silliness will continue to enjoy the means by which both artist & authour infuse that element throughout the narrative.
"I will remember the kisses / our lips raw with love / and how you gave me everything you had / and how I / offered you everything that was left / of me." - CB.

dmra

Post by dmra »

"Those of us aware that Dangerously Chloe's primary element is Lightharted Silliness will continue to enjoy the means by which both artist & authour infuse that element throughout the narrative."

When Pandora was using her supernatural powers to get free ice cream that was "Lightharted Silliness". Doing the same thing to have sex with people may be your idea of "lighthearted" but it isn't mine. Nor is it exactly "silly".

Absinthe Green

Post by Absinthe Green »

dmra wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:24 am
"Those of us aware that Dangerously Chloe's primary element is Lightharted Silliness will continue to enjoy the means by which both artist & authour infuse that element throughout the narrative."

When Pandora was using her supernatural powers to get free ice cream that was "Lightharted Silliness". Doing the same thing to have sex with people may be your idea of "lighthearted" but it isn't mine. Nor is it exactly "silly".
The whole post-"quit hoggin' all the boys" sexcapades were a direct result of the Girljocks Four-to-One GBH Dogpiling of Teddi, whose pheremone capabilities kicked in as a Defense Mechanism. That is; an Autonomic Nervous System reaction that Teddi is clearly unaware of, never mind having control over - something that the "Supernatural Rape!" Goon Squad alternately glosses over or dismisses out of hand while making excuses for Teddi being beaten into stewmeat. Also glossed over or dismissed out of hand: the Girljock fuckknuckles would have been a-okay if they haddn't resorted to violence. Confront? Sure. Conflict? Okay. Violence? Fuck that. A Four-On-One Shitkicking? Fuck them. That kind of violence & bullying has long-lasting effects that resonate long after the initial assault.

Speaking from experience* - as someone who grew up in two domestically violent households, both riven with sexual and physical violence & who had to learn the hard way how to supress both my gag reflex & the urge to scream, Dangerously Chloe is a profoundly Safe Space & produces zero triggering effects, regardless of how outlandish the senarios get or how hard the narrative brushes up against Bad Taste. Each & every scenario has been played out safely & to varying degress of hilarily while balancing a consistency of narrative. This self-important, self-righteous & demeaning, belitting & minimizing "Supernatual Rape!" boy-who-cried-wolf drum-beating & rhetorical posturing & insistance that a Fictional Narritive be read as a Doument of Behaviour is what's upsetting & very often borderline triggering.

*TMI & Anecdotes =/= Evidence, but enough already. This has got to stop. Please.
"I will remember the kisses / our lips raw with love / and how you gave me everything you had / and how I / offered you everything that was left / of me." - CB.

dmra

Post by dmra »

Absinthe Green wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:38 am
This self-important, self-righteous & demeaning, belitting & minimizing "Supernatual Rape!" boy-who-cried-wolf drum-beating & rhetorical posturing & insistance that a Fictional Narritive be read as a Doument of Behaviour is what's upsetting & very often borderline triggering.

*TMI & Anecdotes =/= Evidence,
But all you've given us is anecdotes about how you don't find it upsetting so it must be OK. Which is great for you but only for you. Other people don't have to like it because it doesn't trigger you.

And I didn't see any great stream of comments saying that what the bullies were doing was fine. What people were complaining about was when Teddi worked out that they were under a supernatural influence and decided that the way to stop that was to have sex with them. Except it obviously didn't break the "spell" but Teddi kept on having sex with them afterwards whenever it was convenient to him and turned them into his own private bodyguards. http://www.dangerouslychloe.com/strips- ... ight-track

It was as if Teddi had been shown going around having sex with very drunk girls. Teddi might not have bought them the drinks or meant to get them drunk but he was still taking advantage of them.

So the problem was that it should have been obvious to Teddi that the girls weren't in their right minds but he kept having sex with them even while knowing that they couldn't give informed consent.

Similarly most people posting didn't seem to have a problem with Teddi dating the school jocks to find somebody who might survive sex with Chloe because he was using pheromones. In that case he didn't need to just having a body like the one he did and offering it to them was enough to get them to consent. The issue with that was he was then going to feed -literally- the winner to Chloe even knowing that it might seriously injure or even kill them.

Now you might think both of those are OK in story terms but I'd hope you could see that others might find it objectionable.