Let's talk about music!

The storage stacks of forum memories past.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

LadySheDevil
Tittycakes

Re: Let's talk about music!

Post by LadySheDevil »

*thwacks Don* Rub it in, wouldja?

We could totally go see :x Sonata Arctica :x this September, but that would mean suffering through Dragonforce... Ech.

I may have to beg nicely to go see Flogging Molly in October though! :x
Vanishing Elder of the Noms; She who Plays With Madness; One Among the Fence; Tittycake Mistress.

~* \m/ Music is Love. \:D/ *~ ~* :-B Gaming too! :-B *~

Winner: Wet T-Shirt Contest, Ladies Division June '10

Marv

Post by Marv »

Ew, Dragonforce. They still do stuff live? Blech. When are they going to realize their fanbase is a bunch of Guitar Hero wannabe-posers? Also, that they can't play for shit outside a studio.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

It's true I can't comment on their live qualities.

but I have never, ever played Guitar Hero, and I think the band is pretty awesome. But then, my metal career started with bands Dragonforce are strongly inspired by, so that might be a reason. :P
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

MarkMoriquendi

Post by MarkMoriquendi »

Hansi Kursch was on an Ayreon Album too -- 01011001

Erebus

Post by Erebus »

Don Alexander wrote:It's true I can't comment on their live qualities.

but I have never, ever played Guitar Hero, and I think the band is pretty awesome. But then, my metal career started with bands Dragonforce are strongly inspired by, so that might be a reason. :P

You think Dragonforce is... awesome? I am not sure what to say...

But of course, that is your opinion. I do not like them... at all. They probably suck live too. There is no way they can play that stuff live.

MarkMoriquendi

Post by MarkMoriquendi »

um. they do. i don't like em, but they are good live

Erebus

Post by Erebus »

And how is that even possible? Maybe I am wrong, but it seems like they wouldn't be able to pull off the same "noises" they use. A lot of that stuff sounds like it was made in the studio. I could be horribly wrong, though... which tends to happen because it's me. I would have to look up some live stuff of theirs.

JTHomeslice

Post by JTHomeslice »

To break up this discussion real quick,

This has to be fake. Look at their Myspace top friends. While I hate their music, I have to give them credit for creating their own sound, even if it does blow anus.

Erebus

Post by Erebus »

What...the...fuck...

That is probably the most retarded thing I have ever seen...

It almost seems like it isn't even real.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Unpatriotic views? /:)

Hehe, looks like a very viral ad campaign...

Yeah, the music is total rubbish...
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Just a little comment about the Dragonforce discussion (I think I actually mentioned this once months ago, but it's relevant so I'll repeat). I know this guy Ben, I've known him in passing for several years and he's a pretty good friend of my best pal Zeus. Ben actually saw Dragonforce live in concert not that long back... and said that while the entire time they're being very deliberately cheesy, they actually put on a very good live show. They threw quite a bit of energy into it, and did their best to impress the audience. So much so that when the "headline" act came on (Disturbed), it felt like Disturbed didn't compare. As far as a stage show, Dragonforce just put more effort into it.

On a side note, let's try not and be critical in the "they suck why would anyone listen to them their music is crap" fashion. Everybody's entitled to their opinion, please be respectful of others on the forum. If you can give an eloquent reason why a band isn't to your liking such as "there isn't as much variety in the sound of their songs as I appreciate, and I'm more partial to the actual sound of a drum over a drum machine"... that's fine, if you feel the need to criticize. I mean, there are plenty of bands and artists I don't care for - but they're the professional musicians. We're just the posters on this forum. Let's try to be nice to one another here on the boards, all right?

:)
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

MarkMoriquendi

Post by MarkMoriquendi »

JTHomeslice wrote:To break up this discussion real quick,

This has to be fake. Look at their Myspace top friends. While I hate their music, I have to give them credit for creating their own sound, even if it does blow anus.
I am now very unpatriotic (altho I am staunchly British), but this makes me wanna hurry up my cover versions of Patty Smith's "Rock N Roll N****r" and Blood For Blood's "White Trash Anthem"

Maybe then, I can get an Anti-Mark Moriquendi webshite made about me!

Erebus

Post by Erebus »

Dirty n Evil wrote:Just a little comment about the Dragonforce discussion (I think I actually mentioned this once months ago, but it's relevant so I'll repeat). I know this guy Ben, I've known him in passing for several years and he's a pretty good friend of my best pal Zeus. Ben actually saw Dragonforce live in concert not that long back... and said that while the entire time they're being very deliberately cheesy, they actually put on a very good live show. They threw quite a bit of energy into it, and did their best to impress the audience. So much so that when the "headline" act came on (Disturbed), it felt like Disturbed didn't compare. As far as a stage show, Dragonforce just put more effort into it.

On a side note, let's try not and be critical in the "they suck why would anyone listen to them their music is crap" fashion. Everybody's entitled to their opinion, please be respectful of others on the forum. If you can give an eloquent reason why a band isn't to your liking such as "there isn't as much variety in the sound of their songs as I appreciate, and I'm more partial to the actual sound of a drum over a drum machine"... that's fine, if you feel the need to criticize. I mean, there are plenty of bands and artists I don't care for - but they're the professional musicians. We're just the posters on this forum. Let's try to be nice to one another here on the boards, all right?

:)
I didn't mean to start anything. Like I said, I could be horribly wrong. Looks like I was too. lol

I can never say that they would never be good live because I have never seen them. Also, I have always wanted to see Disturbed live... but there would probably be too many people moshing... not a big fan of that.

MarkMoriquendi

Post by MarkMoriquendi »

my bro just sent me an MMS of him playing the lead part to The Secret Of Monkey Island theme
so I told him we gotta do a version -- he can play lead, i'll play bass and program the drum bits

i even said we should do a Monkey Island tribute -- and i suggested the name "The Largo Embargo" hehe

ExplodingJoe
Hair-Triggered

Post by ExplodingJoe »

I don't understand people who take Metal so seriously that they get aggressively motivated toward bands in what not. I mean, we're talking about a genre that was made famous by bands who never took themselves seriously. I feel like Metal has gotten away from me... or maybe I've gotten away from it.

Take me back to the days when Cannibal Corpse could spit out an awesome riff then regale us of the proper way to apply a hammer to a face, knowing all along that they never took it seriously.

I think Dragonforce serves a very good roll in drawing younger fans who will be tomorrows metalheads. If they decide to be overly cheesey and camp, I'm all for it. After all, half of why I love sitting around singing along to Amon Amarth is for the pure, unbridled rediculous awesomeness of Vikings kicking the shit out of Demons. (which will always be infinitely cooler then pirates/ninjas.)
"If you aren't gonna say exactly how and what you feel, you might as well not say anything at all." ~ Johnny Cash
"Remember, a dead fish can float downstream, but it takes a live one to swim upstream." ~ W. C. Fields