Post by Giz »

Passing Through

Re: PTC 30-04-19 Would be helpful

Post by Passing Through »

It would indeed, may your luck be good.

Valkog

Post by Valkog »

She staged the whole thing. I now mark Zadie as a serial con artist.
**== **== **== **==

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

One does wonder if that's the case. But realistically it'd be a chancy tactic -- a more coolly professional interviewer would have been more annoyed by the interruption -- and Raymond deleting the message so quickly removed useful evidence that Zadie was telling the truth. And a serious serial con artist would have better things to do with her skills than scam her way into an editorial post with a comics start-up. Plus, I dunno, I just get the feeling this is genuine, though Zadie is clearly capable of being manipulative.

In fact, the puppy-dog eyes in the last panel are a bit overdone.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Valkog wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:25 am
Really? That text that only she could see was just an extra touch? And all this was preplanned knowing Ramona would be too kind hearted to refuse?

I think Zadie will fit right in with all these quirky people. Hopefully she’ll get a familiar face to room with... who’s not Aaron.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Valkog wrote:
"The sarcasm is strong with this one." - Yoda

Undoubtedly, Zadie knows a thing or two about putting proper spin on something to make a point. As someone with some editorial skills, she should be able to choose her words for the most impact to whatever reader was reading her articles. Whether that translates for her to be able to be witty in person is another subject all together; some folks need a little time to come up with snappy repartee and rhetoric, lending to the printed word being their preferred medium.

I like how Giz drew Zadie's face, particularly in panel 3. Zadie appears to have a slightly narrower (or slightly more elongated) face compared to most of the other female faces Giz draws. Or maybe it is in stark contrast to Ramona's more round face that I find Zadie's face thinner... but I don't think so. I appreciate the subtle differences an artist places into their characters, to help us readers tell them apart. Usually it is hairstyle or hair color in most manga, and helping to keep them even more different without relying on that usual method is a real plus for me. Let's face it - it takes some imagination to keep a character's style fresh and not too similar to something one has drawn before... especially after 10+ years.

Also kudos to Zadie for wearing waterproof mascara/eye make-up. Zii looks like a goth clown when she cries, usually. I assume she is wearing some tasteful make-up for the interview, at least. Or Zadie has eyelashes to kill for.

I expect that Zadie will get the job from Ramona, although I was hoping for a bit more of an explanation from Ramona on exactly what that job would entail before Zadie agreed to employment. Ramona seems to have a soft spot, but I think she can be pragmatic enough to not let the waterworks affect her overly. Plus in that meta-sense, new character... new strip... shoe in. My only question is how Jung and/or Ramona will take advantage of Zadie's 'needs rent money' desperation. Face it - Jung is an opportunist. I expect to see Zadie in a shoujo outfit(or another of Jung's creations) by the end of June our time.

Truth be told, I expected to see Zadie with a portfolio of her work to show off a potential publishing employer, meager as a university paper might be. Maybe she doesn't have any, or maybe it is on a thumb drive. More conveniences...
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Valkog

Post by Valkog »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:48 pm
Valkog wrote:
As someone in the middle of a long con myself, I'm never kidding when I suggest one. No sarcasm here, I really think she's up to something.
**== **== **== **==

Peaslepuff

Post by Peaslepuff »

Valkog wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:47 pm
worldshaking00 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:48 pm
Valkog wrote:
As someone in the middle of a long con myself, I'm never kidding when I suggest one. No sarcasm here, I really think she's up to something.
Haha, it's no fair if you don't share the details of your long con!

I hadn't thought she was up to something at all, but I think you may be onto something. I would like that direction, anyway.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

If Zadie is conning Ramona into giving her the job then I'll just quit reading this new webcomic because that would be a really stupid plot twist and it would make Zadie a very unlikable main character in my eyes. And is Valkog confessing to a crime on the internet? Probably not a good idea.

jish55

Post by jish55 »

That last panel makes me uncertain about Zadie now, because that tone shift is very off to me. I get this feeling she's playing Ramona, and that the "cheating" seems planned.

Valkog

Post by Valkog »

samtheman wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:48 pm
And is Valkog confessing to a crime on the internet? Probably not a good idea.
You're right, that would be a silly thing to do. It's a good job I'm not doing that, then. Not all deception is illegal.
**== **== **== **==

Judanas

Post by Judanas »

jish55 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:42 pm
That last panel makes me uncertain about Zadie now, because that tone shift is very off to me. I get this feeling she's playing Ramona, and that the "cheating" seems planned.
She seems less 'planner' and more 'opportunistic'. She'll take advantage of things that present themselves.

TwoWayStar

Post by TwoWayStar »

I have to actively prevent myself from opening up all the comics in new tabs...hasnt sunk in theyre all over!! :(( :((

Anyway..uhhmmmmmm Zadie it would've been best to leave it at panel 3 now it sounds manipulative! xO

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Well, now. 0_õ
Zadie is clearly a levelheaded, even pragmatic young woman underneath all the sparkles.