Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

PTC 25-04-19 Acted like a brat

Post by Giz »

brasca

Re: 25-04-19 Acted like a brat

Post by brasca »

Did Zadie's boyfriend just send a picture of his genitalia? I heard that's what this younger generation does.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Well, we didn't receive any indication of him pursuing that unfortunate interest of young folks. But I think the fact that the message was addressed to someone named "Samantha" may be considered more significant. Young Zadie will presumably be entering the narrative-proper in an unattached state -- and she is not above the pursuit of romantic attachments to male persons.

We also have confirmation that Aaron is indeed a teenager. Personally, I'd have placed him a bit younger than 19 -- but then, Ramona would evidently agree that he's not exactly mature for his years.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

TheFoolishOne

Post by TheFoolishOne »

Aaannnd the cheating begins

TheEighth

Post by TheEighth »

brasca wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:35 am
Did Zadie's boyfriend just send a picture of his genitalia? I heard that's what this younger generation does.
I think her boyfriend just sent a text to Zadie that was intended for someone named Samantha so....he's cheating on her
What's the big deal?~Misery from Ruby Gloom
Dakara Korosu/So I'll Kill You~Kei Munakata from Medaka Box
I Floop the Pig~ Finn from Adventure Time
Dangerously Cheesy!~ Chester Cheetah from Cheetos
What the Juice? ~Randy Cunningham from Randy Cunningham: Ninth Grade Ninja.
Groovy. ~ Ashley J. Williams from Evil Dead
Just let yourself go floppy.
For now this is your chance.
Pretend you have no bones
And do the Rubber Chicken Dance~ Cheese Sandwich from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
I'm Appuhjack! Mowe appuh fwittuh?~ Baby Applejack from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
It's Taco Tuesday!~Sonata Dusk from Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

This.

Although "brat" wouldn't have been the word I would have exclaimed to describe Raymond.

Unless Zadie was some sort of intellectual prodigy, she is dating a little young. Did she complete university? I guess she could have dropped out part way through too. Her "in university..." statement doesn't make that entirely clear. That could have placed her around 23, but before and after college years traditionally adds a world of maturity to people. Of course she has obviously been duped by him too, about his maturity level. Meh.

Next time on PTC: does Zadie swallow her pride and continue with the interview or does she break down into hysterics and get some counsel from Ramona?
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Just-graduated could make her 21, surely. And by the half-plus-seven rule, even if she's 23, she's okay dating a 19-year-old. Yes, that age range tends to involve a massive increase in maturity -- but we already know that she (wrongly) read Raymond as being mature for his years.

Her response currently looks more angry than tearful -- presumably she didn't regard her relationship with Raymond that seriously, and perhaps she knew at heart that he probably had a wandering eye, but was in denial about it. So this is infuriating rather than tragic. I'd guess that, for the sake of plot, she'll spend thirty seconds fuming, get some sympathy from Ramona -- and they'll end up bonding enough that the job application is a shoe-in.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Yeah, it seems like Zadie's reaction is more anger based than heartbreak - she may not have been that invested in the relationship, but since she had the mistaken belief that Raymond was "mature for his age," her anger is exacerbated by the feeling of being fooled. Probably wasn't that serious of a relationship, yet it was enough that her anger is a believable response to seeing his casual cheating and clumsy cover up of it (implied, but it is as close to being caught red handed as if she walked in on him screwing Samantha).
I wonder if either Raymond and Samantha are future characters or merely off-screen mentions for the sake of a joke?

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

I guess this is necessary establishment of characters for the first couple of strips, but it still feels like a Slow-Paced Beginning in the worst way. At least the art is still good.

Udyr

Post by Udyr »

I really like Aaron for some reason! :)) He's a dork and a bit full of himself and it gives him so much potential.
eeeek!

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

LegendaryKroc wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:31 pm
I guess this is necessary establishment of characters for the first couple of strips, but it still feels like a Slow-Paced Beginning in the worst way. At least the art is still good.
To be fair, we’re still only, what, half-a-dozen strips in? It’s not that slow a start really, and we do have a few parameters established. It just feels s-l-o-w because we’re only getting two strips a week, with five-day gaps. But I agree that I’m looking forward to some real activity.
Udyr wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:33 pm
I really like Aaron for some reason! :)) He's a dork and a bit full of himself and it gives him so much potential.
The question is whether he learns better from hanging around all these more-mature characters, and is given a plot arc to an earned happy ending (well, as “earned” as Gary’s was, at least), or whether he’s used as the but-monkey we can enjoy seeing getting hosed with a clear conscience.
---------
Spidrift

brasca

Post by brasca »

TheEighth wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:27 am
brasca wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:35 am
I think her boyfriend just sent a text to Zadie that was intended for someone named Samantha so....he's cheating on her
And quite possibly sexting, but the cheating is worse.

Valkog

Post by Valkog »

It would be really funny if Zadie wound up being a red herring, after these past seventeen weeks of build-up.
**== **== **== **==

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

But fairly pointless.

Actually, we don’t really know much about her yet. College graduate, wants an editing job, asshole soon-to-be-ex-boyfriend. That’s it. Making her a red herring after three weeks wouldn’t be selling a witty literary dummy, it’d just be stupid.
---------
Spidrift

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:09 pm
And quite possibly sexting, but the cheating is worse.
If saying “thinking about what we did makes me hard” is sexting, he’s sexting. If not, not. Choose your definition.

It certainly doesn’t imply a platonic relationship, though.
---------
Spidrift