Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

PTC 11-04-19 The job listing

Post by Giz »

Opus the Poet

Re: PTC 11-04-19 The job listing

Post by Opus the Poet »

New characters, but Jung is still pulling the same tricks on the employees.
Don Alexander wrote:Duh. All people are homosexual. Most just don't get beyond the heterosexual experimentation phase until they die of old age.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Yep. So far, much as anticipated. Zadie is presumably set to take over Zii's counter candy job -- she looks cute enough, it'll be interesting to see what her schtick is -- and we may see some more of Aaron. And not just his legs.

(Note that he is not a new character.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

So is PTC supposed to be in the same vein of an HBO rom-com? Color me a little confused. A brief summation of what to expect from the new strip might be nice, Giz and/or Dave. Just because we have some old faces doesn't mean that all the shenanigans or plot will be the same. Thanks.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

otaku247

Post by otaku247 »

I don't know if it's intentional, or just because of Aaron's character design, but kudos to giving this first strip the '2010 drawing style' Giz had back then, particularly in Aaron's facial expressions.
Let the hilarity ensue! :-bd

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems weird and scary to me.

It’ll happen to YOU.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Also, thoughts on Zadie's full name... assuming that it is a nickname or abbreviated version of her name?
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Didn't expect the new comic to start so early; thought it wouldn't happen until the Kickstarter was near over, but whatever, earlier is fine!

Aaron has been a background customer or maybe another employee at the store a few times before. I'd wager that he is wearing that outfit for Jung to test it, rather than using him as store eye candy. Could mean he is working there now or is merely doing a favour for Jung. All too early to tell; since he is in the first strip of the new series, seems likely he has been upgraded from set decoration to main or important supporting character.
Zadie's design is so unique (not to mention her name) that it seems like she will be one of the leads. I quite like the design - maybe has a minor Goth or one of those subculture influences, which I'm admittedly guessing because her eyeliner seems kind of thicker than usually seen on characters, her hair (not just the dye, but the style, too), her mostly dark/black attire, and the pendant she is wearing.

Maybe it will be clarified later, however, I'd also like to know a general synopsis, other than being set at the Pixie Trix Comix store in the Ma3 universe; like, whether it will have the same level of raunchiness as its predecessor or will be a more tame sitcom, which will only have adult themes in dialogue rather than visuals.
Regardless, an effective if somewhat conventional opener for a new series.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:30 am
Also, thoughts on Zadie's full name... assuming that it is a nickname or abbreviated version of her name?
My initial guess is that it may be a modified version of "Sadie."
Another possibility being it is her actual name that happened because her parents were eccentric?

brasca

Post by brasca »

Opus the Poet wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:14 am
New characters, but Jung is still pulling the same tricks on the employees.
Well Zadie is, but Aaron was last seen back in 2010. It's been awhile.

I'm think he's doing this as a favor for Jung because if this were a kink then he should be in a place no one can walk into.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Zadie looks cool.

Valkog

Post by Valkog »

I'm gonna take a flying leap of faith and say that this Zadie person isn't going to be especially important to the story, and is just setting up Aaron as a cast member.

Also, she seems to be a little old-fashioned, taking issue with either his clothes or his behavior. He's an awkward guy in a comic shop, let's not act like that's anything remarkable.
**== **== **== **==

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

As always, mesmerized by Giz's style... Zadie is gorgeous...

Did Aaron lost a bet to Jung?
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:30 am
So is PTC supposed to be in the same vein of an HBO rom-com? Color me a little confused. A brief summation of what to expect from the new strip might be nice, Giz and/or Dave.
Why worry? The title says it’ll probably focus on that comics shop, and we can see we’re getting Giz art. Be bold! Take that as sufficient reason to plunge in and enjoy any surprises that follow!
worldshaking00 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:30 am
It’s apparently a known variation of “Sadie” (the writer Zadie Smith was born Sadie Smith and changed her name legally), which in turn was originally a diminutive of “Sarah” but has now become an occasional given name in its own right.

Isn’t the Internet wonderful?
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:15 pm
Aaron has been a background customer or maybe another employee at the store a few times before.
Star of the Overlord plot thread. Significant geek cred in his own right.
Zadie's design is so unique (not to mention her name) that it seems like she will be one of the leads. I quite like the design - maybe has a minor Goth or one of those subculture influences, which I'm admittedly guessing because her eyeliner seems kind of thicker than usually seen on characters, her hair (not just the dye, but the style, too), her mostly dark/black attire, and the pendant she is wearing.
A few dark clothes, a crescent pendant, and a bit of makeup, do not a hardcore goth make. So far, she looks to me like a presentable young woman with a tiny bit of personal style. Predictably Giz-gorgeous, though, for sure.
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:19 pm
My initial guess is that it may be a modified version of "Sadie."
Another possibility being it is her actual name that happened because her parents were eccentric?
Or they’re Zadie Smith fans?
Valkog wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:30 pm
Also, she seems to be a little old-fashioned, taking issue with either his clothes or his behavior. He's an awkward guy in a comic shop, let's not act like that's anything remarkable.
He’s wearing a skirt and decorative headphones and baring his midriff. And let’s be honest, he’s not carrying it off with any great panache. I don’t think there’s any excessive kink-shaming involved in finding this a little disconcerting.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

New counter candy girl Zadie is cute but how's her personality? Please let her be a Perky Goth. And it looks like Aaron will be the buttmonkey of this new comic. I'm also hoping that PTC is not a Rom-Com in any way and is just a classic sitcom.