Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Spidrift

30-10-2018 Strip "Do Not Disturb"

Post by Spidrift »

See http://www.stickydillybuns.com/strips-s ... ot-disturb
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:11 am
Presumably this fight is meant to be akin to Homer Simpson strangling Bart? The last bout between Zii and Angel I recall was played fairly straight and brutal, yet this time appears more comedic in tone.
As I've said before, you have to read Ma3 as a rather old-fashioned comedy comic, despite all the sex; physical violence is usually almost consequence-free and is assumed to be funny, not serious. (So yes, like Homer vs. Bart.) I think that we can assume that those two agreed to do the tour together (because nobody said that they wouldn't, and "don't block" is a rule of storytelling), they'll go through the entire tour periodically trying to kill each other with few consequences other than someone occasionally showing up on stage with a comedy black eye, and the tour will be a roaring success.

Anyhow, yay! Back to the most interesting characters and the plot that isn't just building blocks sliding into place at the top of the pyramid. Ruby continues to live with the sense of being surrounded by idiots, but can handle it, and being a bit anal-retentive, because that's how she is. I doubt that we're going to get a bunch of strips of these people discussing yaoi, and we're onto the last chapter with Ruby's boyfriend problem unresolved, so I imagine that somebody will ask Ruby how things are with Andy, she'll crack and drop the whole problem onto the group, and they'll offer some wacky ideas with a view to solving it.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

OllieOrOlly

Re: 30-10-2018 Strip "Do Not Disturb"

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:18 am
See http://www.stickydillybuns.com/strips-s ... ot-disturb
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:11 am
Presumably this fight is meant to be akin to Homer Simpson strangling Bart? The last bout between Zii and Angel I recall was played fairly straight and brutal, yet this time appears more comedic in tone.
As I've said before, you have to read Ma3 as a rather old-fashioned comedy comic, despite all the sex; physical violence is usually almost consequence-free and is assumed to be funny, not serious. (So yes, like Homer vs. Bart.) I think that we can assume that those two agreed to do the tour together (because nobody said that they wouldn't, and "don't block" is a rule of storytelling), they'll go through the entire tour periodically trying to kill each other with few consequences other than someone occasionally showing up on stage with a comedy black eye, and the tour will be a roaring success.
I haven't seen all of your posts, so I apologise for making you repeat yourself.
I understand it is mostly comedic; one could see my confusion by the fact their previous fight ended with them being bruised and bloody. I guess The Simpsons also changed its rules occasionally, i.e. have somewhat realistic consequences for injuries, but it had the benefit of animation and voice acting to help clarify when the tone is silly and when it is dark comedy/dramatic.
That said, I appreciate the clarification, even if it is a bit too semantic.