29-09-18 Share the danger

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Bat-dork

Re: 29-09-18 Share the danger

Post by Bat-dork »

Well, I have to say I never expected Sonya to go this way, and yet it feels like it ...fits? It's a pity that Giz and Dave are no longer into spinoffs, because the idea of Sonya taking this into an even further direction (i.e. getting so infatuated with Bianca that she becomes a secret agent just to get closer) seems like one good branching. To me, anyway.

Since there's no harm in wishful thinking, what should we call this never-gonna-happen webcomic? I vote for "Sonya's Secret Shennanigans".

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

I don't know about her become a secret agent, but i can see Bianca saving her a lot.

christopheftw

Post by christopheftw »

Too many enemy agents have made Bianca so she will have to transfer to the crime investigation division to investigate a new slick series of jewelry thefts by international jewel thieves suspected to have just completed a run of thefts in France.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:05 am
Oh dear, the dreaded catchphrase again!
I guess it just had to come out one last time in Sonya’s wrap-up storyline, for old time’s sake.
I quite enjoy Allie's annoyed expression as she turns away, since she has been privy to Sonya's erratic sexual awakening from the start, along with having to listen to the perpetual denial spiel.
This is presumably also a final-closure strip for Allie. I’ve long reckoned she was terribly sadly underused. (Just for a start, she should’ve been around when Zii and Ruby were sharing a coffee.) But at least we know she’s still alive.
This side story feels a bit... pointless.
It’s about giving Sonya tidy closure; a final pairing and a way she can be shown to be putting Zii entirely behind her. Not strictly necessary, sure, but G&D are clearly determined to tie every possible loose end into a bow.
It did seem that Sonya had learned how unreliable partners can cause heartache, yet her penchant for drama and growing danger supersedes her development?
The love of drama isn’t going away; that’s part of her, and can’t change. What she’s had to learn is that loving Zii as her first and only source of drama only leads to heartache. She’s been working to put that behind her; now, she’s found a way to burn it away entirely.
worldshaking00 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:48 pm
So, "being irresponsible" meant it was OK to drag Peggy into a firefight?
I took this strip to mean that Bianca had learned her lesson from the incident with Peggy; that her job and regular relationships don’t mix and can’t mix, old friendships notwithstanding. But now Sonya has come along to make that lesson provisional, hey ho.
My question though, is how many foreign operatives are working on Quebec soil for her to get so many of them wanting her six feet under?
Exactly as many as the plot demands.
I expect if Bianca and Sonya hit it off, Sonya will dump Angel's band.
I imagine that she’ll carry on with the band, but there’ll be some strange moments backstage at gigs and wild coincidences while the band are on tour. If you imagine the thriller series about Bianca the Spy, “crazy rock chick girlfriend who finds her career a turn-on” now becomes one of the embellising character details.

A fair guess at Sonya’s character theme in that series: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=StKVS0eI85I

Hey, next strip will be in October, which is definitely autumn; any chance of a cut back to Ruby?

(Yes, I know that we’ll have to cut back to Zii some time — but that’ll perforce be part of a long and convoluted character wrap-up storyline.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

As long as she's still somewhat attracted to Gary, she's legitimately "not a lesbian" but bi. She seems to be the only person who understands that.
Don Alexander wrote:Duh. All people are homosexual. Most just don't get beyond the heterosexual experimentation phase until they die of old age.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

It’s just a catchphrase, rendered “utterly hilarious” by her willingness to shag women. It doesn’t signify beyond that.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Varanus

Post by Varanus »

I know this series is silly, but jumping from liking drama to enjoying the thought of people routinely trying to kill you is quite an extreme leap.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

I feel like we're being denied a "Super Spy Sonya" comic now :p

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Opus the Poet wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:20 pm
As long as she's still somewhat attracted to Gary, she's legitimately "not a lesbian" but bi. She seems to be the only person who understands that.
Or any guy really.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

Well, Giz is not reluctant to doing spinoffs. So maybe the adventures of Sonya and Bianca can be one of her next things, maybe not, but it would be great.

It could be called "Not a lesbian spy", kidding, kidding :p

Maybe "Rockin' Agent Sonya"...
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

sukebe senpai

Post by sukebe senpai »

Welp. Sonya will end up tied to a bomb pretty soon. And then, she's going to be sent to the rest of the cast in 48 monthly, interest-free instalments.
FIRRIB

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I reall,really don’t think that Sonya has what it takes to be a spy. She isn’t as dumb as she sometimes seems, but she’s careless and impulsive, and not great on subtlety. She’d bollix stuff up too regularly. What she can handle is being a spy’s girlfriend.

And while an “Adventures of Bianca and Sonya” comic or story might be amusing, I’d reserve judgement until I saw whether Giz (or Dave) could get the tone right. Though judging by the shoot-out scenes in Bianca’s room, Giz has got better at drawing action scenes.
---------
Spidrift

nottere

Post by nottere »

Go forth and be happy, Sonya! Ya crazy drama hound.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

I just wanna know who’s spying on Montreal.Or Canada in general.

Smuggling hockey player DNA across the border for use in a super soldier program? Deep cover at Tim Hortons? Investigating the threatening lead in Zamboni technology mentioned in the movie Canadian Bacon?
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Well, that's Sonya settled. =_= We really are counting down to the finish, huh?
So who's next?