Dangerously Chloe 13-09-18 Let Me In

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

dmra

Re: Dangerously Chloe 13-09-18 Let Me In

Post by dmra »

@Gotoh

Mel may have bought the orb to school but it took Blair to use it to generate a story that almost featured the extinction of the human race (as well as probably quite a few cryptid species too). So just possibly he was slightly more important to the story than Mel.

Blair in Ace's body caused tension for Ace who had to cope with the fallout from Blair's antics. And him knowing about Quintessa explained why he was in the Delacroix household which had puzzled quite a few readers since his introduction.

If Blair had been competent the comic would have been a whole lot shorter. No Tiresias orb and no Ace and Kade gender shift. Possibly no reincarnation arc either. Plus I'm not sure how many readers would have been very happy if Blair had staked Nina as soon as she tasted blood.

Judanas

Post by Judanas »

Yeah, I'd be hard pressed to call her 'the worst'. Slash-Stab is sitting pretty in her 'is the worst' slot and unlikely to be dethroned. I mean, if we go with 'Charity is committing sexual assault', that is a mortal crime...but that's the key thing, mortal. Slash-Stab is working to damn as many immortal souls as she can to eternal punishment in all the worst ways possible. That's...not even in the same ballpark. Charity could molest the entire cast of Menage a 3, including the cat, and it still wouldn't be in the same ballpark as Slash-Stab. It's just that concepts of 'Forever' are difficult to get the human mind around.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

dmra wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:40 pm
Mel may have bought the orb to school but it took Blair to use it to generate a story that almost featured the extinction of the human race (as well as probably quite a few cryptid species too). So just possibly he was slightly more important to the story than Mel.
Mel was also planning to use it, but Blair swiped it before she got the chance.
dmra wrote:
And him knowing about Quintessa explained why he was in the Delacroix household which had puzzled quite a few readers since his introduction.
No one wondered about Blair until the "Best Friend" strip, because of all the theories and speculation it caused. The discomfort he caused Ace didn't add anything new to the story, it was already well established that Ace was EC's designated victim.
dmra wrote:
If Blair had been competent the comic would have been a whole lot shorter.
No it wouldn't have, because competent =/= infallible. EC had no shortage of competent characters: Layla, Ace, Brooke, Twiggit, Tiffany, and Tia. How many plots or shenanigans did they prevent? None, but they were all useful in resolving each of the conflicts they were involved in. The comic wouldn't have to be shortened.
Last edited by Gotoh on Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fereshte

Post by Fereshte »

I see her as one of the worst because she claims to have some kind of moral superiority while doing deplorable things. In other words, she’s a hypocrite. Pandora or Slash-Stab are honest in their deplorability and never pretend to be anything they’re not. Charity is supposed to be good, claims to be good, is viewed as good, but she is not. I guess it depends on how much you hate hypocrites. I’d prefer an honest villain over a dishonest hero. At least when you get fucked over by an honest villain, you know why.

Judanas

Post by Judanas »

While I find that the sheer scale of evil that Slash-Stab has far, far outweighs any hypocrisy. Charity is gropey and a bit of a hypocrite, Slash stab is engaged in literally incomprehensible (Since the human mind can't actually imagine infinity at once) levels of suffering.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Judanas wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:44 pm
Slash-Stab is sitting pretty in her 'is the worst' slot and unlikely to be dethroned.
That depends. If we're limiting the field to DC characters only, I'd say probably. But if we're including the entire *C-verse, then no. Ana alone would be enough to make Slash-Stab seem like Nina by comparison.

Ana tried to banish her classmates to the Shadow Realm, where they would've likely been killed by demonic horrors, simply because they were more popular than she was. She was blasé about having lead a bloody revolt, in which, thousands died in her name. Then beheaded the Lord of Shadows and went on to brag about the countless others she and her legions killed when they invaded Montreal.

Then there's Hecate, who we can safely assume is far worse, given Ana is fearful of her.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Hecate, I'll grant you. But for all her vicious acts and warmongering, Ana has not been consigning people to torment eternal; Slash-Stab has, and for who only knows how long. Is she horrible? Certainly. Is she on Slash-Stab's level? Nope.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@Error of Logic: So Tia then...? 'cuz, according to ancient text, it took Artemis and Hecate combined to put a stop to her reign of terror (and, presumably, reduced her to her current child form to de-power her). Either way, there are far more villainous characters than Slash-Stab.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

But are any of them hypocrites? Because apparently, hypocrisy is the worst evil imaginable in any universe, ever.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@Spidrift: Hypocrisy is common and expected among humans, but public and religious figures are held to a higher standard even though they're still human. So angels are generally held to an even higher standard, since they're supposed to be devoid of sin. So I can see why some take issue with Charity.

Dragon Paladin

Post by Dragon Paladin »

I never said Charity was the most evil character. I said she was the worst character. Slash Stab is obviously more evil. But she's a villain, and a demon. She's evil, she knows it, she relishes in it. Charity is an ANGEL, a being meant to be above things like envy, hypocrisy, and lust. If she was human, i would roll my eyes, but shrug it off. But taking advantage of a naked girl and calling it "God's love" is disgusting. Characterization-wise, she's just unlikable, even if she isn't technically the 'worst' morally speaking.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Gotoh wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:15 pm

Mel was also planning to use it, but Blair swiped it before she got the chance.

And all that happened was his fault. He went around turning boys into girls.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Gotoh wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:57 pm
@Error of Logic: So Tia then...? 'cuz, according to ancient text, it took Artemis and Hecate combined to put a stop to her reign of terror (and, presumably, reduced her to her current child form to de-power her). Either way, there are far more villainous characters than Slash-Stab.
An argument could be made.
Personally I detest Tia for the way she dumps the world around her into strife in order to feed herself, then acts like people are wrong to object.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@Error of Logic: Tia's actually one of my favorite characters.

In all fairness, she doesn't have much of a choice. She has to sow discord in order to sustain herself, or else, she'll cease to exist. The same way Layla has to feed on human blood, or willing cryptids.

@Cortez: Which wouldn't have happened without Mel.

It's a 'house-that-Jack-built' type scenario. Remove Mel from the picture and Blair wouldn't have had the orb to zap anyone with. There's no getting around that.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Gotoh wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:26 pm
brasca wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:55 pm
It’s still taking a few panels out of the story when there’s more important action to cover. We’re lucky we got Charity’s explanation of what was happening to Teddi.
And yet the creative team has shown characters on both sides working to keep their existence under wraps and explaining why it's necessary, several times - even during crisis situations (like the theater incident).

But in DC, it's as if the characters no longer care if the public sees anything. Also, we can't simply assume "someone's" been covering things up for them because there's no evidence to support it. And the public who, in the other two comics, was shown to be curious and attentive, has seemingly become oblivious. If you don't see why that matters (narratively), it's because it breaks established continuity.
Has there been anything so extraordinary that it defied any explanation? Occasionally Abby's demon appendages were visible, but people just dismissed that as some costuming. Even the most recent apocalyptic event occurred in a park in the middle of the night with no witnesses. I'm sure the cryptid fighters detected all this, but by the time they arrived all that would be left is a crater. The police would find the same thing and might think a bomb went off, but unless someone witnessed any of the people present entering or leaving the scene they wouldn't be knocking on the DeCarlo's door.

I'll admit some disappointment that we've never gotten to see the inner workings of the cryptid and anti-cryptid societies like a secret government organization that keeps everyone in line. Perhaps something akin to the Guild of Calamitous Intent and Office of Secret Intelligence in the The Venture Brothers keeps each side in a peaceful balance. We don't know and can only imagine, but there really hasn't been anything so strange that it couldn't be dismissed.