2018-08-21 Zis city can get in your blood

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

christopheftw

Re: 2018-08-21 Zis city can get in your blood

Post by christopheftw »

This is so fantastic! A whole year. I am very anxious to see Sandra’s growth in action as well as to see what my favorite Parisians - Alex, Christophe, Lavalli, and Marie - have been up to!

LarsenSan

Post by LarsenSan »

Still... it feels kinda rushed.

Dr. Jamming

Post by Dr. Jamming »

I wonder if we'll ever find out why Zoe was so hypersensitive to Sandra being involved in minor personal drama that would hardly make the gossip sheets."Model drinks at parties, has unstable love life" hardly seems especially career damaging, and I just don't get Zoe's behavior/ goals at all at this point. Sandra was literally better off without her, or, if she's been pulling strings behind the scenes, then at least Sandra is better of without her overbearing presence.
It still also seems weird that Sandra didn't reconvene with Dark Matter immediately.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

LarsenSan wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:53 pm
Still... it feels kinda rushed.
To put it mildly. Unless we get some massive flashbacks, or the promise of some miniseries to fill in the gaps, the loss of multiple vaguely interesting plot strands to bring the comic to a quick conclusion will be deeply unsatisfactory.

Also, I hope that air traffic control had fun screaming at that pilot. Coming in that low over the urban centre probably had a few thousand people going "Oh merde, zere goes ze Tour Eiffel".
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

BrianX

Post by BrianX »

I feel like what must have happened is Totally-Not-Ubisoft must have realized Sandra (who at this point must be at least "second string SI swimsuit issue" famous even if she's completely oblivious) has gone back to Canada and tracked her down to say "Uh, you know you still have a contract with us, right?" Meanwhile back in France people must be asking Domenico and Zoe "What the hell happened to Sandra Arden? We wanted to hire her! Nerdy models are in!"

Honestly, it doesn't make sense to me that Sandra dropped off the map and no one noticed.

Then again, that happened to Gia Carangi.

Then again, Gia was way more self-destructive than Sandra.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Dr. Jamming wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:09 pm
I wonder if we'll ever find out why Zoe was so hypersensitive to Sandra being involved in minor personal drama that would hardly make the gossip sheets."Model drinks at parties, has unstable love life" hardly seems especially career damaging, and I just don't get Zoe's behavior/ goals at all at this point. Sandra was literally better off without her, or, if she's been pulling strings behind the scenes, then at least Sandra is better of without her overbearing presence.
Seconded, especially on the highlighted portions.

Zoé claimed overnight success could be detriment to Sandra's career. Yet, Sandra's gained exactly that without any reppurcusions. So what was all the fuss about? Hell, gaminig celebrities have done it.

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

It was not overnight... the whole point of the montage was to show that Sandra worked her ass off day after day while working as a waitress night after night... literally, the whole montage was showing a year's worth of work... NOT overnight.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

I wasn't ignoring the last few strips when I said that. But Sandra had already become an overnight success after that event at the gaming expo went viral. There were no reppurcusions then, we still aren't seeing any now. Yes, she's worked her ass off over the past year, but she's done it without Zoé, unless she and Domenico were setting all those gigs up for Sandra without her being aware of it.

That said, a year's time, in any profession, is still considered "overnight". Makoto Shinkai has been a director for ten years of his life, yet he's considered to have quickly become a household name, with many in Japan already calling him the new Miyazaki, after the runaway success of '5 Centimeters Per Second' and "Your Name". In his own words, it's all happened so quickly for him that he feels it's "too soon" for anyone to even mention his name in the same sentence as Miyazaki's. Imagine what people would be saying if Shinkai had achieved the same level of success in only one year.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Eisu wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:48 pm
It was not overnight... the whole point of the montage was to show that Sandra worked her ass off day after day while working as a waitress night after night... literally, the whole montage was showing a year's worth of work... NOT overnight.
We even saw her crying while working as a waitress again in the montage.
Spidrift wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:12 pm
To put it mildly. Unless we get some massive flashbacks, or the promise of some miniseries to fill in the gaps, the loss of multiple vaguely interesting plot strands to bring the comic to a quick conclusion will be deeply unsatisfactory.
Right, after a whole year most of the other plots where probably resolved off screen.

Linnah

Post by Linnah »

This thing's interesting-but-disappointing, if I had to put it in to words. I love the idea of a year flash-forward, but alas, it's been a year! What about several of the other plots that went on? Alex? Lavali? Aaina and her sister? Eva?

I hope these plot-lines are addressed, some way or another. I know the comic's about Sandra, but the side-characters are just as cool.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Yeah, like what happened to Marie and her new job with Eva.

Eloise probably moved on since she got what she wanted.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

Gotoh wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:43 pm
That said, a year's time, in any profession, is still considered "overnight". Makoto Shinkai has been a director for ten years of his life, yet he's considered to have quickly become a household name, with many in Japan already calling him the new Miyazaki, after the runaway success of '5 Centimeters Per Second' and "Your Name". In his own words, it's all happened so quickly for him that he feels it's "too soon" for anyone to even mention his name in the same sentence as Miyazaki's. Imagine what people would be saying if Shinkai had achieved the same level of success in only one year.
Well, that's because when the mainstream media doesn't know you they think you appeared from nowhere. That's what happened to Pantera, they were doing music and touring, busting their asses for most of the 80s and early 90s (and they gained a lot of cred with Cowboys from Hell and Vulgar Display of Power), then in 1994 they release Far Beyond Driven, it reaches #1 on the Billboard 200 and the mainstream media calls them "Overnight Sensation"...
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

It should also be noted that Sandra got back up by doing what Zoe told her to do, Build her Image as a professional.

http://www.sandraontherocks.com/strips- ... ing-nakies

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

One wonders if Sandra has a manager or agent now. Because she’d be pretty crazy to have spent a whole year building a M-A-W career without any professional advice or representation, but if Zoé’s plan was to get Sandra to put the work in for herself, well, the agency would presumably then want another shot at representing her.

Oh, and for the record — panel 4 Sandra? Yep, hot. If maybe trying slightly too hard to be so.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.