Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

21-08-18 Quite large

Post by Giz »

OllieOrOlly

Re: 21-08-18 Quite large

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Perhaps Lynn set her phone backdrop out of genuine affection, but I'd wager it'd be more likely to be basic lust, and to be less kind, a precaution she made to get forgiveness from Maura. Sincere or not, it seems like Lynn knows how to play Maura (who isn't an intellectual giant to begin with, but I digress...).

Maura's competitive, crossing into angry side rears up again, it seems; though, it also seems easily quelled by a skilled player, rather than fuelled as done by her friend, Tess.
Cringed at Lynn calling Maura "Sweet T." Although, part of me thinks the crass pet name is because she didn't remember Maura's actual name due to her multitude of hook ups, compounded by thoughts of DiDi's "bazoombas."

I'm curious to know how the phone call ended; it appears as though it might've ended somewhat abruptly, considering Lynn's uncertainty of her handling of the situation. Presumably DiDi went off to find Roxie to offer her bizarre version of an apology for not understanding?

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

The question I have is...

Where in God’s name did she get that gif?
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

If that's not a sign of love in today's modern age...

A few takeaways from today's strip.

1> Maura is jealous, even after 'winning' Lynn. At least she isn't a sore winner, rubbing her victory in by calling Didi. But then, it also appears Maura hasn't left the hotel for quite a while too. Not quite sure to make out of that, since one would assume Tess would be curious (or freaking out) over where for BFF is. Are they retreating to the hotel and really making a long exploration of one another? Are they even coming up for air? So, 'sore winner' might be premature.
2> Maura considers Lynn one of the 'guys'. She's equating her lesbian lover's interest as to what a male lover would expect to find attractive in a woman. Considering her lesbian inexperience, I guess it isn't hard to expect her to have such a predisposition. Still, she has a lot to learn. Corollary to that, though, is how important Maura will consider their new relationship. Is she just considering this fooling around or experimentation, or is she honestly falling for Lynn and willing to 'switch sides' forever. I guess that will also require understanding Lynn's desires too if Lynn is just wanting a FWB relationship. Since Maura values Tess's opinions too, I guess we really need to see their interactions as well.
3> Lynn's animated gif wallpaper is a nice touch. It shows how much she is physically attracted to Maura. @lordoffiling: Maura gave Lynn selfie after selfie, so what was Lynn supposed to do about that? Seems like a waste to not use them, considering how ga-ga Lynn got at times seeing Maura's bosom and how pent-up Lynn has been. Add an app. on her phone and voila! Boob-o-vision! Of course, I would honestly expect a similar reaction for Maura being shown some cute kitten videos as well, but that speaks to Maura's simplicity and not the quasi-romantic moment being shared by the two ladies.

I get the impression that Didi still won't be satisfied with Lynn's answer. I wonder if DIdi overheard Maura in the background when Lynn was explaining. There might be a segue there, of Didi blurting Lynn & Maura's relationship out.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

WizzarTheRed

Post by WizzarTheRed »

Lynn is nothing if not a hopeless romantic it seems…

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Now, the really important question is...

Can one actually use an animated gif as wallpaper on any model of phone? (Honest question, actually.)

Anyhow, apart from establishing that Maura and Lynn are engaged in at least slightly more than a one-night stand, and confirming that Maura is vain and shallow but in a kind of sweet way, this strikes me as a bit of a disposable filler strip. So the tragic tale of DiDi discovering that she’s a mindless sex object gets drawn out yet longer. Oh well, we’ll get back to Ruby eventually, I guess.

(Okay, I confess that I’m also wondering how Tess is reacting to the new situation, given that I’m sure that Maura is bragging about it at every opportunity. I imagine she’s treating it as a chance to take a free run at Damien.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:23 pm
If that's not a sign of love in today's modern age...

A few takeaways from today's strip.

1> Maura is jealous, even after 'winning' Lynn. At least she isn't a sore winner, rubbing her victory in by calling Didi. But then, it also appears Maura hasn't left the hotel for quite a while too. Not quite sure to make out of that, since one would assume Tess would be curious (or freaking out) over where for BFF is. Are they retreating to the hotel and really making a long exploration of one another? Are they even coming up for air? So, 'sore winner' might be premature.
I think she left the hotel and went back. Evidence: Her underwear.

Day 1.
http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/you-fought-for-me

Day 2.
http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/hired-for-mon-talent
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

0_0 I wonder if Maura's parents are at all worried about her being out in the world unsupervised. Wrestling training and temper aside, she's an easy mark for even very simple manipulation.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Pretty much everyone in this set of comics has the emotional maturity of a teenager. Matt and Kiley are smart-ass teenagers, Ruby is a nerdy teenager, DiDi is a prom queen -- but they're none of them really adult about very much. Peggy probably comes closest, and even she tends to revert to teenage-den-mother behaviour patterns when she's off duty. They're most of them lucky that they don't get quite horrendously exploited.

If you want to be po-faced about this, you can say that it's a comic about young adults in an era which infantilises them by selling them traditionally childish amusements (comics, toys, junk food) even once they've left education and left home, and which denies them the kind of economic status which traditionally enforces maturity. Equally, a lot of the underlying point of the stories is the characters slowly, incompetently scrabbling towards real adulthood of a sort. Conversely, you can just say that these comics are written by people with a big thing for Archie Comics and the sort of Japanese manga which feature adolescent protagonists, and they've ended up imposing characterisations and plots which would work better in a school-age-characters comic on supposed twenty-somethings. Or maybe a bit of both.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

rogermart wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:05 pm

I think she left the hotel and went back. Evidence: Her underwear.

Day 1.
http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/you-fought-for-me

Day 2.
http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/hired-for-mon-talent
Good catch. Although I suppose it is possible she had a spare with her, I am inclined to agree with you. Which, only makes me more curious as to if Tess knows and how she is/would take it.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

SlightlyMostly

Post by SlightlyMostly »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:03 pm
Now, the really important question is...

Can one actually use an animated gif as wallpaper on any model of phone? (Honest question, actually.)
Not on any model of phone, but on many you can. On Android, you can do it both for the home screen and for the lock screen: see instructions. On iPhone, you can do it only for the lock screen: see instructions.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:56 pm
Which, only makes me more curious as to if Tess knows and how she is/would take it.
She probably rolls her eyes, mutters about Maura's runaway hero worship, and like I said, plots her unobstructed run at Damian.
SlightlyMostly wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:57 pm
Not on any model of phone, but on many you can.
Thanks. One learns something every day. Well, some days.

The amount of computational power being thrown at making things flashier is getting terrifying...
---------
Spidrift

brasca

Post by brasca »

Seeing as how Lynn refers to Maura as Sweet Tits I would say she thinks very highly of her breasts regardless of smartphone evidence.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Well, it does suggest , on the one hand, that Lynn does indeed have a major thing for nice boobs, despite her denials -- but on the other, that she finds Maura's notably nice, so Maura doesn't have much to worry about.

But really, meh, I think we're trying too hard here. This is just a boob fetish/Maura-is-vain joke. I do suspect that Lynn and Maura will still be together at the end of the comic's run, giving those two characters some closure, and this strip is just saying that they're both likely to be cool with that -- but honestly, at most it's a minor plot point.
---------
Spidrift

cheshire86

Post by cheshire86 »

Seems like the theme thus far is "Things get knocked topsy-turvy." Gary + Peggy, now Didi + Rasslin' (and to some extent, Lynn + Maura).

I'd think Zii's up next for a smack from the reality pinata. The smart money's on her & Didi's relationship, but I'm hoping it's Zii + Band(s). Hers being more than a little hapless, and her former bandmates/lovers (led by her nemesis, managed by her ex) taking off.

Poor Lita might be in for some serious glomping real soon.