2018-07-24 Wait! Yes it is!!

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

themacnut

Re: 2018-07-24 Wait! Yes it is!!

Post by themacnut »

The end of Sandra's modelling career doesn't have to mean the end of the comic. The next story arc could be Sandra coming to realize how her drinking and wild partying helped cost her this opportunity, and decide whether or not she needs help to control or stop the drinking. Along with that it could also be her trying to adjust to "normal", post-modelling life, maybe with her trying to console herself with another night of drunken debauchery that goes hilariously, or even not so hilariously, wrong.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Gotoh wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:07 pm
themacnut wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:02 pm
I'm with Fluffy here, I think this is the end of Sandra's modelling career. She finally pushed things too far, dropped that final straw, etc, etc, and the result is her being dismissed from Domenico's service. Plan 37b is "You're fired! Get her out of my sight!"
It wouldn't just be the end of her modelling career, it'd also mean the end of the comic, which doesn't seem likely to me unless Giz or Dave made an announcement I'm unaware of.
Seeing as they're trying to finish up SDB and Ma3 is coming to its end shortly, bringing Sandra back to Montreal allows for another outlet to finish all three comics without having to suddenly drop any of them.
Nor would it make sense given the context of the strip itself. If we go by your interpretation, Dominico chloroforms unruly models (rather than simply letting them go), then flies them home? That'll show 'em. I just don't see how that works. If their intent is to fire her, all it'd take would be a pink slip then show her the door. Or he could Tweet: "gtfo, don't come back".
This is one of those cases where you have to leave real world logic out of the story.
I'm thinking this is an elaborate scare tactic, meant to make Sandra fall in line, or she really will be out on her ear.
Why would they keep a model who has done nothing but act defiant or flippant when they're giving her direction? Neither Domenico nor Zoe has any reason to continue putting up with Sandra's behavior after they've given her numerous warnings. I personally think they're done with her; but showed enough leniency to make sure she got home safely (this way she can't turn around and sue them for throwing her out of the street/wrongful termination).
themacnut wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:46 pm
The end of Sandra's modelling career doesn't have to mean the end of the comic. The next story arc could be Sandra coming to realize how her drinking and wild partying helped cost her this opportunity, and decide whether or not she needs help to control or stop the drinking. Along with that it could also be her trying to adjust to "normal", post-modelling life, maybe with her trying to console herself with another night of drunken debauchery that goes hilariously, or even not so hilariously, wrong.
It also gives her a chance to meet up with Gary, again. (I'm all for Peggy ending up with him; but Sandra would be my second choice).
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Gotoh wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:07 pm
It wouldn't just be the end of her modelling career, it'd also mean the end of the comic, which doesn't seem likely to me unless Giz or Dave made an announcement I'm unaware of.
They announced a while back that all the Pixie Trix webcomics were ending, owing to falling ad revenues.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@Zippy: I stand corrected. Thanks for telling me.
Fluffy wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:56 pm
Why would they keep a model who has done nothing but act defiant or flippant when they're giving her direction?
Because if being unruly is all it takes to get canned, Zoé wouldn't have a job either.
themacnut wrote:
The end of Sandra's modelling career doesn't have to mean the end of the comic. The next story arc could be Sandra coming to realize how her drinking and wild partying helped cost her this opportunity, and decide whether or not she needs help to control or stop the drinking.
Except the comic is about her trying to get into the modelling idustry, kinda like how zombie flicks are about surviving against zombies. Remove the zombies and you've got no conflict, thus no picture. So if they remove Sandra from the fashion scene... then what? :_\

Part of the reason many of us griped about the way MC ended is because the Hellrunes went back to CH. Which made us ask what was the point of them transferring if they were just gonna go back? Or having Cerise go through all the trouble of scheming and conniving to takeover the Coven, just to decide to continue to follow Mel's lead. It made it all seem pointless.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

I hated that EC/MC ended abruptly, but the return to CH is justified:

Magic Chicks started with them being infiltrated in Artemis to gather information for CH (with memory blocks from the Principal) as a punishment for using the gender-swapping Orb, but they were made at the camping trip because of Cerise, so even if Melissa's demands were that they stayed in Artemis, they would never trust Cerise or dark Mel, only magical Mel and maybe Jacqui but they would be on constant watch, making the infiltration pointless. Besides, magical Mel stayed in Artemis and she is the student council president.
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Gotoh wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:11 pm
@Zippy: I stand corrected. Thanks for telling me.
Fluffy wrote:
Why would they keep a model who has done nothing but act defiant or flippant when they're giving her direction?
Because if being unruly is all it takes to get canned, Zoé wouldn't have a job either.
Difference being that Zoe *is* a professional model, while Sandra isn't. Zoe earned the prestige to act the way she does and not face any serious backlash for her actions. Sandra, on the other hand, is a newbie and has not earned herself a solid reputation yet and is putting it at repeated risk with her drunken debauchery. The way she treats Sandra is most likely Zoe's way of trying to prevent Sandra from making the same mistakes she had as a budding model and Sandra can't be bothered to have enough respect for her boss to pay attention - which only pisses Zoe off all the more.

Except the comic is about her trying to get into the modelling idustry, kinda like how zombie flicks are about surviving against zombies. Remove the zombies and you've got no conflict, thus no picture. So if they remove Sandra from the fashion scene... then what? :_\
The comic is titled 'Sandra on the Rocks'. Nowhere in that title does it specify that the comic would be exclusively about Sandra's life as a Parisian model; just that the comic is about Sandra and her antics, in general.
Last edited by Fluffy on Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

rogermart wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:34 pm
I hated that EC/MC ended abruptly, but the return to CH is justified:

Magic Chicks started with them being infiltrated in Artemis to gather information for CH (with memory blocks from the Principal) as a punishment for using the gender-swapping Orb, but they were made at the camping trip because of Cerise, so even if Melissa's demands were that they stayed in Artemis, they would never trust Cerise or dark Mel, only magical Mel and maybe Jacqui but they would be on constant watch, making the infiltration pointless. Besides, magical Mel stayed in Artemis and she is the student council president.
There was no need for them to return to CH. As Faith said: Mel and Jacqui would've been grandfathered in for meritorious actions, so neither of them had anything to worry about. Cerise was the exception for obvious reasons. Plus, no one at AA knew they were spies. Cerise only outted them as witches, she never divulged why they were there.

As for Dark Mel, she had Light Mel + an überpowered esper to keep her in check. So there wasn't much to worry about there either.

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Gotoh wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:11 pm
themacnut wrote:
The end of Sandra's modelling career doesn't have to mean the end of the comic. The next story arc could be Sandra coming to realize how her drinking and wild partying helped cost her this opportunity, and decide whether or not she needs help to control or stop the drinking.
The comic title had nothing to do specifically with Sandra's modelling career in Paris, again like Fluffy said. In fact the title "..On The Rocks" is to me more in line with Sandra's drinking problem, and specifically the hijinks she got into while drunk, than anything else. The woman likes to drink, and then goes buck wild when she gets drunk; I saw the comic more about the wreckage she left behind after doing this, and how she dealt with it. That won't end with her modelling career.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Fluffy wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:10 pm
Difference being that Zoe *is* a professional model, while Sandra isn't. Zoe earned the prestige to act the way she does and not face any serious backlash for her actions. Sandra, on the other hand, is a newbie and has not earned herself a solid reputation yet and is putting it at repeated risk with her drunken debauchery.
Dominico's point was Sandra is what Zoé used to be. Which was a mild way of saying she was being hypocritical.
Fluffy wrote:
The comic is titled 'Sandra on the Rocks'. Nowhere in that title does it specify that the comic would be exclusively about Sandra's life as a Parisian model; just that the comic is about Sandra and her antics, in general.
The title doesn't have to specify every aspect of the comic, since the cast and setting already covers it.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

this way she can't turn around and sue them for throwing her out of the street/wrongful termination
They did drug her, she can sue them for that.
Fluffy wrote:

It also gives her a chance to meet up with Gary, again. (I'm all for Peggy ending up with him; but Sandra would be my second choice).
I'd rather she ended up with Cammi.
The end of Sandra's modelling career doesn't have to mean the end of the comic.
Except it does, all of the strips are ending.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Gotoh wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:51 pm
Dominico's point was Sandra is what Zoé used to be. Which was a mild way of saying she was being hypocritical.
Which also explains why Zoe is being so hard on Sandra; Zoe's been there and is doing her best to make sure Sandra doesn't repeat the same mistakes she (Zoe) made.
Fluffy wrote:
The title doesn't have to specify every aspect of the comic, since the cast and setting already covers it.
Honestly, it's a comic about Sandra's antics; which just happened to include her brief stint in modeling - which accidentally led into mo-capping/modeling for a video game (which she could probably still do while in Montreal - seeing the have a department located there).
Cortez wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:27 am
this way she can't turn around and sue them for throwing her out of the street/wrongful termination
They did drug her, she can sue them for that.
She'd have to be able to prove it, though - which she can't. And Lord knows her former bosses have countless incriminating photos, as well as possible video evidence to prove Sandra has a drinking problem and can always use that to invalidate her claims against them.

Sandra is her own worst enemy in cases like this.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Fluffy wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:10 am
Which also explains why Zoe is being so hard on Sandra; Zoe's been there and is doing her best to make sure Sandra doesn't repeat the same mistakes she (Zoe) made.
I could buy that if Zoé wasn't still doing the the same thing, herself. Her current status doesn't entitle her to act unprofessionally any more than graduating the police academy entitles one to break the law. The same rules and conduct still apply.
Fluffy wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 1974 2:36 pm
Honestly, it's a comic about Sandra's antics; which just happened to include her brief stint in modeling - which accidentally led into mo-capping/modeling for a video game (which she could probably still do while in Montreal - seeing the have a department located there).
I still don't see it panning out that way, but I suppose we'll see.

dmra

Post by dmra »

Fluffy wrote:
The only problem with that is that there are still a number of story lines that were set up left hanging if Sandra doesn't go back. There are Eva and Eloise's plots, the question of what happens to Marie, Lavalie and Alex, not to mention the whole thing about why would plan 37-b involve drugging somebody and flying them around the world when you could just say "you're fired" instead.

The Pixie Trix lot haven't always been too concerned with closing every character's story but there's still an awful lot of loose ends to tie up in Paris which won't happen if the story moves to Montreal.