Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

19-07-18 SDB-You guys are serious

Post by Giz »

Valkog

Re: 19-07-18 SDB-You guys are serious

Post by Valkog »

Good on Jung for remembering the condom.
**== **== **== **==

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Poor Ruby - butt of one of the very first jokes that had been at the expense of Gary!

Nice banter, though hopefully some progress can be made; judging from the brief exchanges, Ruby should be able to discuss her issues with proper feedback in next update, or perhaps a time jump to Ruby's next date with Andy, so Ramona's further advice will be shown in memory balloons.

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

...wasn't she talking about how experienced Jung was earlier?

rpr

Post by rpr »

Storm-forge mystique wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:06 am
...wasn't she talking about how experienced Jung was earlier?
experience he acquired with her... I guess

TheFoolishOne

Post by TheFoolishOne »

wait, if they are both virgins, how then STD's?

rpr

Post by rpr »

TheFoolishOne wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:16 am
wait, if they are both virgins, how then STD's?
I guess Ruby did not know that they were both virgin and if you read Ramona's answer

"... but then we learned we were both virgin, so..."

I read as "It is true that not using a protection you risk STDs, but this was not the case since both were virgin, although we discovered it after the fact"

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Actually, Ruby did know that they were both virgins - Ramona mentioned it in the past. But she's talking good general practice here, and acknowledging why Jung did what he did. (She's a sensible woman herself, note; she knows what's appropriate.) Otherwise, agreed.

And Jung gets a large slew of bonus points for immaculate preparation; he saw where things were going far enough in advance to take some time reading The Joy of Sex, made sure he was carrying a condom, and still managed to make the actual event look like a moment of uncontrolled and random passion. 100% well played that geek.

(The only thing I'd tell him and Ramona is that having endless sex everywhere doesn't mean that you're automatically "serious". It just means that you're both horny.)

And poor Ruby has suffered from the "You did it WHERE? You mean - RIGHT WHERE I'M SITTING RIGHT NOW?" at least twice in the past that I can remember. It's a bit of a stock Ma3 universe joke, to be sure, but of course Ruby is especially susceptible to it because she's exceptionally fastidious. Gary only got freaked out the once, and that was about gay sex on the drawing table he was loving the way no man has loved a piece of furniture before.

Mind you, this issue is now making me think of Jack Vance's The Dying Earth. If you worry about stuff that happened in the past on the very spot where you're standing - specifically sex stuff, in the Ma3 universe - you're guaranteed nightmares for the rest of your life.

And this is very cute and I'm not complaining about this strip at all, but it will indeed be interesting to see where things go with Ruby's problem soon. Ramona is providing her with an invaluable sympathetic ear, but can't offer much specifically useful advice, so it may just come down to "Oh well, grit your teeth and try the naked lap dance."
Giz wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:56 am
New SDB on Ma3 is up! www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/sdb-you-guys-are-serious/
By the way - broken link there. Needs an http:// prefix.
Last edited by Spidrift on Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Nice bit of explanation from Ramona. Repeating a few posters in that Jung was a good boy scout - "always be prepared."

It is interesting that Ruby considers having kids makes a relationship serious. I don't think there's been mention of children... even unwanted pregnancies... in Ma3, and there's been (self-proclaimed) seriousness in several relationships. Observed condom use in Ma3 is punctuation and/or scenery dressing. No doubt that two people who were responsible adults would want to have children would also be serious about the insolvency of their relationship. Perhaps it is due to the large amount of homosexual relationships present in Ma3, or the general non-intercourse related irresponsibility of the characters there (remember, no unwanted pregnancies or STDs even with as much rampant screwing goes on there... condoms and dental dams being assumed). Just an observation. Rom-com level of seriousness, yada yada.

Maybe Ruby eventually wants kids, but Gary just wanted sex... then an actual relationship? Biological clock, and all that for each of them.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

brasca

Post by brasca »

The problem with Andy and Ruby is they just aren’t much into each other. Andy is willing to oblige if sex is requested and Ruby seems motivated to get it out of the way which is fine if they want a friends with benefits situation. Unfortunately that’s the kind of arrangement Amber previously had so it would be the last thing Ruby would want.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:02 pm
It is interesting that Ruby considers having kids makes a relationship serious.
Looking to have kids isn’t a necessary condition for “seriousness”, but it is (or should be) a sure sign thereof.

A couple might be “serious” if they buy a place together, or just commit to an exclusive monogamous relationship with each planning their careers to fit with the other, or of course if they get legally married; anything that indicates strong long-term commitment. Having kids is arguably the most serious thing of all, because it implies very serious financial concerns, and commitment to looking after other, helpless, human beings for a period of years. Okay, some people commit to single parenthood, but that’s really an even more serious one-person undertaking, because you don’t get the backup caregiver/provider.

So even talking about having kids implies that this might become a serious relationship (and that neither party goes “What? No!” and runs a mile). But it’s a subject that has to cross Ramona’s mind at some point, because she’s infertile, and she’s playing fair by mentioning it fairly early, because if a guy might be thinking of getting serious with her but would want kids eventually, there’d be a problem.
brasca wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:53 pm
The problem with Andy and Ruby is they just aren’t much into each other. Andy is willing to oblige if sex is requested and Ruby seems motivated to get it out of the way which is fine if they want a friends with benefits situation. Unfortunately that’s the kind of arrangement Amber previously had so it would be the last thing Ruby would want.
I think that Ruby wants more than “to get it out of the way”. If that was all there was, she wouldn’t be so worried about Andy being slow. The idea that it’d relieve her tension is a bit of a cliché, and sometimes a rather crass one, and would make Dillon and Amber annoyingly right in Ruby’s terms, but it’s no less realistic for all that. The yaoi has woken her libido, but it isn’t enough; she’s an ordinary healthy woman who needs that fulfilment.

So friends with benefits would likely suit her fine, though she might punch Amber in the face for using those words or implying that they were the same. But she wants to preserve her dignity and not feel cheap, and she has a normal human level of vanity and wants to feel desired. Having to get vulgar or blunt with Andy could make her feel too much like Amber.

And I still suspect that when she does start enjoying sex, she’ll blame Amber fir putting her off the idea for so long.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:17 pm
Giz wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:56 am
New SDB on Ma3 is up! www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/sdb-you-guys-are-serious/
By the way - broken link there. Needs an http:// prefix.

Fixed. Thanks!

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Back onto seriousness for a minute.

Jung lives at home with his mom, right, ostensibly to cut down his rather large food bill?

Granted, Ramona is being full upfront about her condition; kudos for her. Perhaps they are just happy goinking each other with little consequence. But I'd think that moving in with Ramona would also be a good sign of seriousness. I'd be curious to see why they haven't shacked up. I assume Ramona can pack away some lunch too, but two heads working together should be able to make ends meet.
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

It's apparently early days yet. For all we know, they're talking about shacking up -- if they aren't still perpetually too distracted by the urge to rip each others' clothes off and find a clear horizontal surface.

Also, though we might guess that Jung's mother would be glad to see him out of the basement, she might have opinions on this relationship to be dealt with. Likewise, Angel is a very protective sibling...
---------
Spidrift

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Fair points. Perhaps Jung's mother might want biological grandkids and not adopted ones and Jung doesn't want to bring up Ramona's infertility. Considering Yuki's father's strong desire for grandkids, it wouldn't be necessarily inappropriate to think that Jung's mom would act similarly. It is a common trope and not just among Asian parents.

Ramona did seem to imply that Jung's relationship with her was good and that he was a good lover. Being virgins, that might be a low threshold though. However their strong love of... shall we say colorful literature... might help add to their experience level.