Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

05-07-18 SDB-Gotta keep fit

Post by Giz »

OllieOrOlly

Re: 05-07-18 SDB-Gotta keep fit

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Ruby isn't exactly incorrect about Amber, though Dillon's points are valid, too.
Ruby isn't correct about Amber being the reason Andy won't go all the way with her; seems like she is projecting her anxiety as blame against her sister, who indeed lives a life of vice, however, isn't responsible for Ruby's relationship issues.
I suppose the biggest issue is that Andy is even more comedy stupid than Dillon, so much so that Andy cannot pick up fairly simply innuendo; another issue is Ruby herself, with her aforementioned anxiety issues, but also she seems to be self-sabotaging (subconsciously or not is uncertain) - she must notice Andy isn't understanding her insinuation, so if she really wanted to advance their relationship, she would be more direct (though, that's the rub, I guess, as she is too shy to be more direct).

Despite Andy's tan disappearing in panel 3 (unless it has been fake this whole time?), the artwork is exceptional; it is both a nice display of characterisation as well as gentle fanservice as Ruby dresses more provocatively in each subsequent day, and her expression likewise becomes more enticing, while also maintaining her general awkward aura.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

It occurs to me that there is basis for this. Remember the girl at the pool with the dark hair? She made a pass at Andy that was bowling ball blunt, and it managed to go right over his head.

The man just cannot process pickup lines.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Ah, okay; full credit to Giz, this is a little more complex than it looked, and Ruby is both capable of being reasonable and honest about her temper, and plausible with her "Am I unattractive?" question. (And increasingly obviously eager.) Also, the problem between Ruby and Amber may actually be coming to a head; Amber didn't seem previously to have understood why Ruby was so damn angry with her, all the time, but Ruby has just spelled at least a third of her issues out, loud and clear. Amber does now surely have to address the fact that she lied to their parents, and like it or not, this matters to Ruby, who's compulsively truthful but had to support the lie.
lordoffiling wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:33 am
It occurs to me that there is basis for this. Remember the girl at the pool with the dark hair? She made a pass at Andy that was bowling ball blunt, and it managed to go right over his head.

The man just cannot process pickup lines.
That does seem to be the case, and Gina actually said as much. And honestly, a man who can't take the hint from that day 3 LBD needs to be checked for a pulse, no matter how much cardio he did.

It's possible that the idea is that he's aware of what's being offered and is trying too hard to be considerate to Ruby, but that's not the way this reads to me; he seems to be flatly unaware. Of course, if he's a virgin himself -- which seems very likely -- he may be even more nervous himself, and hence have a mental block on anything that could lead him into having to prove himself. But honestly, this leads me back to my feeling that Ruby could do so much better for herself.

And yeah, the three-day progression in dress choices and facial expressions, with Ruby trying progressively harder and being more progressively disappointed, is very nicely done.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

I think Andy might actually be denser than Gary if you can imagine such a thing. And lol at the look on Amber's face in the last panel.

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:28 am
Despite Andy's tan disappearing in panel 3...
Fixed. Thanks!

brasca

Post by brasca »

samtheman wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:06 pm
I think Andy might actually be denser than Gary if you can imagine such a thing. And lol at the look on Amber's face in the last panel.
The only difference is Andy is so attractive he has no problems getting attention.

Well this strip confirms that he’s clueless, but it looks like we’re going to get sidetracked into some family drama.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Frankly, the family drama may prove the most interesting bit. Andy and Ruby just need to resolve their communication problems and nervousness, and then the biggest question will be how long it’ll be before Andy can walk again if Ruby releases all her tensions at once. The Ruby/Amber thing is actually a bit complicated.

Though the two issues may actually be entangled. Ruby may need to sort out her feelings regarding Amber before she can go back to Andy and say Yes, she’d quite like to have sex with him, and if he’s not interested could he just say so please?
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

BioYuGi

Post by BioYuGi »

Oh dear, Ruby in that black dress is delightful. Sensual and beautiful.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

The LBD is one of the great inventions of the twentieth century, and these comics often demonstrate why.
---------
Spidrift

brasca

Post by brasca »

If Andy wanted to avoid sex because of gas, embarrassing underwear, or a skin rash I could understand, but his facial expressions show no sign of embarrassment.

I think only the direct approach will work and Ruby doesn’t want to be direct since she thinks it’s what Amber would do.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:05 pm
The LBD is one of the great inventions of the twentieth century, and these comics often demonstrate why.
I concur 100%

From the top of my head I remember Sonya using one in the contest. Like Magneto said: "perfection"...
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:52 pm
I think only the direct approach will work and Ruby doesn’t want to be direct since she thinks it’s what Amber would do.
That’s certainly a lot of the problem. But even aside from the Amber thing, Ruby is an introverted virgin with very little experience of friendship. Really, she’s being about as forward as anyone could expect. She may be persuaded to try being a bit blunter still, but...
rogermart wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:33 pm
Spidrift wrote: The LBD is one of the great inventions of the twentieth century, and these comics often demonstrate why.
I concur 100%

From the top of my head I remember Sonya using one in the contest. Like Magneto said: "perfection"...
Oh, Sonya weaponized that style. We also had the DiDi version, and Chanelle has exactly the right look to carry it off.

But the point with the LBD is that it’s versatile. Ruby can wear one and look sexy without feeling cheap, and you could just as well put Zii or Kiley into an Audrey Hepburn/Anne Parillaud sort of thing and they’d look great.
---------
Spidrift

BioYuGi

Post by BioYuGi »

I'm legitimately impressed that you were able to find all those references, implying that you either remember that they were all worn at one point and knew various times where they could have been or you just binged through the archive hardcore to find every example you could.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Actually, I cheated on this one. “Little Black Dress” has its own entry in tvtropes.org (customary tvtropes warning), and those links are all borrowed from there.

Now, how they got onto tvtropes in the first place...
---------
Spidrift