2018-06-19 Dead Pierre thing

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

AlexDenton

Re: 2018-06-19 Dead Pierre thing

Post by AlexDenton »

I'm at a loss too. It sounds funny tho. Google translate thinks its hindu.

It's good to see Aaina keeps her eyes on the prize ^^
"Hi. I'm NG Resonance. What would you like to talk about?"
"I like your music."
"I think you're lying."
"Hey -- I'm a fan. You're not supposed to argue with me."
"I'm supposed to make you like me. You like it when I argue."

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

dmra wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:48 pm
True that she might think it's hers - after all she worked for it - but there's an interesting question about that. Would it make a difference if it had been a purse stolen from a little old lady rather than from somebody rich? We'd probably think that anybody who thought that "it's my purse now" was a pretty despicable person.
True, but remember, since ancient times we romanticize people that steal from the rich, specially if the rich people in question are assholes and the robbery was a clever one, (and bonus points if the stolen goods are given to the poor, like in Robin Hood), that's why there are lots of stories about it and movies like Entrapment, Ocean's 11, The Italian Job, The Inside Man, Tower Heist, The Thomas Crown Affair, The Bank Job, etc. (yeah, I'm a sucker for heist movies)...

So even if the thief is wrong in doing the theft, people care about who was the person that got stolen from, and how. If Aaina and Aania stole that from Cartier and nobody was hurt in the process, it feels different than them stealing it from a working class old lady who has that necklace as the only thing she has left from her mother and had to hide it when she came to America...
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

But of course, one can subvert that by imagining a Cartier security guard losing his job because he was outsmarted by Aaina, so he can’t afford the medical procedure that would help his crippled daughter walk again...

And talking of Aania — I’m making a small guess that her grumpy mood when she first appeared was caused by her sister running off with their latest haul and giving it to some boozed-up bimbo.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

dmra

Post by dmra »

rogermart wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:33 pm

True, but remember, since ancient times we romanticize people that steal from the rich, specially if the rich people in question are assholes and the robbery was a clever one, (and bonus points if the stolen goods are given to the poor, like in Robin Hood), that's why there are lots of stories about it and movies like Entrapment, Ocean's 11, The Italian Job, The Inside Man, Tower Heist, The Thomas Crown Affair, The Bank Job, etc. (yeah, I'm a sucker for heist movies)...

So even if the thief is wrong in doing the theft, people care about who was the person that got stolen from, and how. If Aaina and Aania stole that from Cartier and nobody was hurt in the process, it feels different than them stealing it from a working class old lady who has that necklace as the only thing she has left from her mother and had to hide it when she came to America...
The trouble is that we don't know who the necklace was stolen from but some people seem to be assuming it's from some rich asshole who deserves it. I'm not wealthy myself but I've known some very nice rich people who certainly wouldn't deserve to be robbed even if it was done nicely and painlessly.

And it may not always seem like it but even rich people have feelings and can have as much sentimental attachment to their possessions as people with little or no money.

It's only a comic and obviously we aren't meant to be thinking too much about the ethics of theft but having seen what being burgled one Christmas did to my brother and sister-in-law -they were so upset they didn't feel safe in their house and had to move - I've not been quite such a fan of the romantic idea of Robin Hood or Raffles the gentleman thief.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:40 pm
But of course, one can subvert that by imagining a Cartier security guard losing his job because he was outsmarted by Aaina, so he can’t afford the medical procedure that would help his crippled daughter walk again...

And talking of Aania — I’m making a small guess that her grumpy mood when she first appeared was caused by her sister running off with their latest haul and giving it to some boozed-up bimbo.
That's why no heist movie shows that scene (I remembered once in Ocean's 11, Terry Benedict yelling at the man in charge of security, but never showed if he fired them) so people assume that the heist was so clever no one could've stopped them.
dmra wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:57 pm
rogermart wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:33 pm

The trouble is that we don't know who the necklace was stolen from but some people seem to be assuming it's from some rich asshole who deserves it. I'm not wealthy myself but I've known some very nice rich people who certainly wouldn't deserve to be robbed even if it was done nicely and painlessly.

And it may not always seem like it but even rich people have feelings and can have as much sentimental attachment to their possessions as people with little or no money.

It's only a comic and obviously we aren't meant to be thinking too much about the ethics of theft but having seen what being burgled one Christmas did to my brother and sister-in-law -they were so upset they didn't feel safe in their house and had to move - I've not been quite such a fan of the romantic idea of Robin Hood or Raffles the gentleman thief.
I get that, that's why heist movies usually go for the rich asshole gimmick (with focus on the asshole) if they want you to root for the thief, that's why I assume this is the case here, unless Dave wants people to dislike Aaina and Aania...

Double Post merged. The DAMNed
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

By the way, the strip title is giving me unfortunate out-of-genre mental images — you know, something zombified lurching from a swamp in a baker’s hat...
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

rogermart wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:04 pm
That's why no heist movie shows that scene (I remembered once in Ocean's 11, Terry Benedict yelling at the man in charge of security, but never showed if he fired them) so people assume that the heist was so clever no one could've stopped them.
Works for Lupin III. Most of his films show his heists and who he's stealing from, because his usual M.O. is to announce the theft beforehand as a challenge to Interpol and his intended target. And despite all the times he's gotten away with it, no one's ever lost their job because it's widely acknowledged that Lupin is at the top of the game.

MrsKytro

Post by MrsKytro »

Clever Aaina! Used the drama opportunity to extricate herself quite nicely from the Cammi situation.
I don't think she's nearly as 'poor' as Ingrid thinks!

dmra

Post by dmra »

rogermart wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:23 pm
I get that, that's why heist movies usually go for the rich asshole gimmick (with focus on the asshole) if they want you to root for the thief, that's why I assume this is the case here, unless Dave wants people to dislike Aaina and Aania...
I'm not expecting the twins to be exposed as "bad" people at all because these aren't those kinds of comics. And I'm fine with that really although it might be nice to have the tropes subverted in the kind of way the Austin Powers movies showed the family and friends of dead henchman.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Fluffy wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:50 am
I know Sandra is sh*tfaced and isn't at all aware of how badly she's screwed up; but still - that was a rather heartless way to break it to Aaina that she had lied about Pierre; thus her interest in Aaina.

Poor Aaina, indeed. At least she got to keep her necklace.
I don't know. She wasn't hurt enough by it all to forget the necklace or look sad in the last panel. Also, they did just meet that day.

Chewtoy

Post by Chewtoy »

MrsKytro wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:32 pm
Clever Aaina! Used the drama opportunity to extricate herself quite nicely from the Cammi situation.
I don't think she's nearly as 'poor' as Ingrid thinks!
Yeah, that was my read too... she play-acted the sobbing to give her an excuse to run off with the necklace.

As for Sandra, even sober she’s largely unaware of Aaina’s crush on her, isn’t she? She’s been approaching this whole thing as if they both know that they’re only putting on a show.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:15 pm
Don Alexander wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:26 pm
Dismillach!
Pardon? <Ruby>Google is ignorant of the word.</Ruby>
Probably because I always heard it that way and made the spelling up in my head, it's actually "Bismillah!" :P
Spidrift wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:27 pm
By the way, the strip title is giving me unfortunate out-of-genre mental images — you know, something zombified lurching from a swamp in a baker’s hat...
Oh, yeah, and here little me recently reread Lovecraft's "Herbert West--Reanimator". :D
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

JoybuzzerX wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:13 pm
I don't know. She wasn't hurt enough by it all to forget the necklace or look sad in the last panel. Also, they did just meet that day.

You mean Aaina and Sandra? No, they met a while back at a dance club, where Aaina was immediately smitten with Sandra. They even had a slumber party together (where a passed out drunken Sandra nommed on Aaina's bust).
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

That was the twin sister.

Quote removed. The DAMNed

brasca

Post by brasca »

Well Aaina got her consolation prize and seems satisfied with that. I feared a spurned lover scenario, but I think she's willing to run away from all this.

I'm more concerned for Aania and Lavali at this point since Aania could interrupt whatever lovemaking they might be getting into and if she brings her around Cammi will immediately think she's her twin sister because it's an international law of comedy.