Azrael
Mischief Maker

Re: 05-06-18 Too exciting

Post by Azrael »

Don Alexander wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:32 pm
Spidrift wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:00 pm
Don't flaunt or feign ignorance, old chap. Given the debt that every other cinematic action girl owes to Diana Rigg...
Oh, you mean THOSE Avengers - the ones I vaguely know as "Mit Schirm, Charme und Melone".

Sorry, never watched that, OLD CHAP. :P

(Not even the Uma Thurman version.)

Well, by missing the Fiennes / Thurman version you have missed nothing much, rest assured. However, if you get a chance to check out the '60s TV show you may find it worth your while. It wasn't uber camp like Get Smart, but it is still quirky good fun.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Quinlan1973

Post by Quinlan1973 »

In the words of Monty Python, "And now for something completely different."

brasca

Post by brasca »

For once I'd actually like to skip one of the current plot lines and just focus on this.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Azrael wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:28 am
Well, by missing the Fiennes / Thurman version you have missed nothing much, rest assured. However, if you get a chance to check out the '60s TV show you may find it worth your while. It wasn't uber camp like Get Smart, but it is still quirky good fun.
In a sense, it doesn’t matter if you like it or not; it’s historic. It’s an important ’60s artefact. And you can’t get the full effect of Diana Rigg in Game of Thrones if you don’t have a mental picture of her 50-years-younger self as Emma Peel.

(It especially helps if you’ve seen the banned episode.)
brasca wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:35 am
For once I'd actually like to skip one of the current plot lines and just focus on this.
Ah, you’ve fallen for the Raymond Chandler effect. For those who missed my earlier allusion or don’t know the quote:
  • “This was inevitable because the demand was for constant action and if you stopped to think you were lost. When in doubt have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand. This could get to be pretty silly but somehow it didn’t seem to matter. A writer who is afraid to over-reach himself is as useless as a general who is afraid to be wrong.”
Not a rule I ever expeted to see applied to Ma3, but like I said, I reckon Dave is getting bored and doing the writer equivalent of clawing the curtains.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Vaken

Post by Vaken »

For those willing to watch The Avengers, I'd advise to skip the Honor Blackman era (and everything before).
The Emma Peel and Tara King series are cult, IMHO.

The 70s revival with Gambit and Purdey is less interesting, I think. But there are a couple episodes which are worth watching (more if you're a fan of Joanna Lumley).

EDIT: ah... and the film with Uma Thurman... Please, erase that from my memory.

Collarnorcrown

Post by Collarnorcrown »

I mean I'd thought I'd enjoyed some exciting sex, but I've yet to combine a romp and a gun fight, so bravo Bianca for finding the new edges of sexual exploration. Peggy's lucky she's along for the ride. ;)
"The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything."
Friedrich Nietzsche

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

I really like this thing between Gary and Zii. I think this might be the most honesty and clear communication we've had in a single storyline this entire comic. And with all of a single interruption for a silly gag, albeit one that did not derail the thread into wacky antics and made sense in the context of Zii's mental state. My only regret is that it's come so late in the game and the comic had to be more or less beginning to wrap up to get the character development out of first gear.

And speaking of things being late in the game...
Quinlan1973 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:18 am
In the words of Monty Python, "And now for something completely different."
Didn't We Use This Joke Already?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:37 pm
Don Alexander wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:07 pm
By the way, I wonder if someone really sharpened the cheese grater.
Okay, Google let me down on that one.
Deadpool 2 reference.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Ah. Only just caught up on Deadpool 1.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Zellgato

Post by Zellgato »

I wonder if she had firearms littered and hidden all over her hotel room or if she has Elsewhere Storage Magic.
(and no that isn't a euphamism)

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Wait, what? That's not just a plot twist, that's a Jumping The Shark moment. But the comic is going to end in 49 strips anyway so maybe the creative team is like "fuck it, let's run this shit into the ground" out of boredom and/or to troll the fanbase.

As for Gary and Zii, it's looking like that ship is going to be teased until the very end of the comic. And with less than 50 strips to go where is the wrap-up arc for Dillon's comic?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Where are people getting this impression that it's "only XX comics until it all ends??" If I remember correctly, Giz said that while this is the last volume, it'll go on for as long as it will take.

"It's not over till it's over" - John Connor
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Zellgato wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:50 pm
I wonder if she had firearms littered and hidden all over her hotel room or if she has Elsewhere Storage Magic.
(and no that isn't a euphamism)
If it was, the technical term would be “Victoria’s Secret Compartment”.
---------
Spidrift

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Don Alexander wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:10 pm
"It's not over till it's over" - John Connor

Quoting Lawrence "Yogi" Berra.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:43 pm
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:37 am
Seems Zii couldn't resist dumping on Gary's self-confidence yet again...
That line didn't strike me as malicious; it's just desperate denial. Sure, she could give Gary's ego a boost if she was more honest, but it's not like she told him he was a bad kisser or anything, and he's placid enough that she won't have hurt him bad there.
I know and
I didn't presume it was malicious; the rest of my comment - which probably has too much in between to cite completely - basically states how it is simply a lack of tact on her part.
Zii didn't have to give Gary an ego boost, but neither did she need to "cut him down to size" as it were.