Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Eisu

2018-05-22 Tongue wh-mff

Post by Eisu »

DarkAsh

Re: 2018-05-22 Tongue wh-mff

Post by DarkAsh »

Poor Aaina. She’s getting strung along like Maura, but unlike Maura, she can’t see through the ruse. Sandra needs to stop being selfish.

brasca

Post by brasca »

If not because it's the right thing to do, but to avoid bodily harm. Aaina can get violent.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I can't help feeling that grabbing someone's boob in public, however absent-mindedly, is a bit far beyond the limit. I mean, sure, tipsy Sandra has no conception of "boundaries", but still... I hate playing the whiny "if the genders were reversed" game, but y'know, if Aaina was a guy...

But I guess that the thing here is setting up the scene so that Eloise has something to work with when she drags Pierre in.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

I like Sandra - I really do. But she so deserves the crap that's coming her way for playing with people as she has.

You can't even blame alcohol on this, as she was doing this crap before a touch of liquor touched her lips.

Damnit, Sandra!
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

If she wants to be with Cammie, she should say so. Like Fluffy said, Sandra got jealous when she was sober.

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

Spidrift wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 10:16 am
I can't help feeling that grabbing someone's boob in public, however absent-mindedly, is a bit far beyond the limit. I mean, sure, tipsy Sandra has no conception of "boundaries", but still... I hate playing the whiny "if the genders were reversed" game, but y'know, if Aaina was a guy...

But I guess that the thing here is setting up the scene so that Eloise has something to work with when she drags Pierre in.
Sandra's grabbing Aaina's hand and making it grab her boobs. Aaina wasn't doing it on her own accord. That's why Aaina's choking on her drink as she is as surprised as anyone that her hand is on Sandra's boobs.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Spidrift wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 10:16 am

Like Eisu said, Sandra is the one making Aiana grope her; not Aiana taking advantage of an inebriated Sandra.

Still, the whole 'if this was a guy doing this...' double standard still applies; just in regards to Sandra's actions, and not Aiana's. If Sandra was a dude making someone touch him (girl or guy - whether they approved of the action or not), people would be raging over the guy making his partner do such a thing. But, because it's a girl doing it to another girl (and the girl clearly loves it), it's played for humor; which is annoying.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Ah, right. My profuse apologies; I misinterpreted panel 3. My eyes are getting old. Yes, okay, I get what’s going on now, and yes, Sandra is being obnoxious. And aside from the fact that she’s being jealous and manipulative, she’s either lurching ever deeper into setting-generic bisexuality, or her jealousy is doubly petty and childish.

Given that her relationship with Pierre seems to have been a plot thread that Dave never knew how to develop, I assume that if Eloise succeeds in her current plot, Sandra won’t even be that upset — which may annoy Eloise. Though the latter will probably not lay off her plotting either way, because (a) she wants to crush Sandra, and more importantly, (b) said plotting is currently driving a lot of the comic’s stories, one way or another.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

I was always more of a fan of Sandra and Cammi because they seem to have more chemistry than Sandra and Pierre.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Well, quite. Dave gave Sandra this romantic attachment early on, and then... what? Pierre has no detectable characterisation beyond "nice guy", so of course there was no chemistry (you can't have a chemical reaction with a vacuum), and he got shoved aside when Sandra needed a private-life-based plot. Which carries a mildly sour flavour of "nice guys finish nowhere", and makes Pierre look like a waste of electrons whose only job was to keep Sandra in Paris back in the first few strips.

Dave and Giz do seem to have this problem with nice guy characters. Along with Pierre, we have Gary, who only got vaguely interesting insofar as he stopped being nice, and Erik, who got hosed away the same way as might well happen with Pierre; likewise, Richie isn't currently looking like more than a two-dimensional confused lust object for Angel. It's an inherent problem in comedy, I know, but it's not impossible to resolve.

Although of course Pierre might yet do something interesting when Eloise's plan comes together. Stun Cammi with a dwarf bread boomerang croissant, Judo throw Aaina through a window, and hurtle off with Sandra tied up in the boot of Nadine's car, perhaps.
---------
Spidrift

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Cortez wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 4:35 pm
I was always more of a fan of Sandra and Cammi because they seem to have more chemistry than Sandra and Pierre.
Seeing Sandra's jealousy and Sandra being one of my favorite m3 universe characters, I hope she does and Cammi and her are totally happy.

Perhaps Aaina realizes what they both feel and it purposely helping it along. While enjoying herself at the same time, of course :p
Spidrift wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 7:11 pm
Well, quite. Dave gave Sandra this romantic attachment early on, and then... what? Pierre has no detectable characterisation beyond "nice guy", so of course there was no chemistry (you can't have a chemical reaction with a vacuum), and he got shoved aside when Sandra needed a private-life-based plot. Which carries a mildly sour flavour of "nice guys finish nowhere", and makes Pierre look like a waste of electrons whose only job was to keep Sandra in Paris back in the first few strips.

Dave and Giz do seem to have this problem with nice guy characters. Along with Pierre, we have Gary, who only got vaguely interesting insofar as he stopped being nice, and Erik, who got hosed away the same way as might well happen with Pierre; likewise, Richie isn't currently looking like more than a two-dimensional confused lust object for Angel. It's an inherent problem in comedy, I know, but it's not impossible to resolve.

Although of course Pierre might yet do something interesting when Eloise's plan comes together. Stun Cammi with a dwarf bread boomerang croissant, Judo throw Aaina through a window, and hurtle off with Sandra tied up in the boot of Nadine's car, perhaps.
Or perhaps it's just a matter of they believe Sandra with Cammi (two girls) sells better than Sandra with Pierre. :p

Double post merged. The DAMNed

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

I know I'm late saying it, but: "Yay, it's back". Also, glad too hear Eisu has recovered from his thumb injury. That said:
Spidrift wrote:
Pierre has no detectable characterisation beyond "nice guy", so of course there was no chemistry
This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but I don't get where all the "they had no chemistry" consensus is coming from, 'cuz it seemed like they hit it off fairly well. And it wasn't long before she and Pierre were going at it like rabbits, which is further than Cammi's gotten so far.

Everyone doesn't need to be quirky, or dysfunctional, to be interesting. Sometimes "normal" is good, especially in the midst of a cast like this one.
Spidrift wrote:
Which carries a mildly sour flavour of "nice guys finish nowhere"
Ace disagrees, 'cuz he's a nice guy and was dong alright for himself before EC went on hiatus, and he wasn't the only one. Just sayin'.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Those scenes don't show much chemistry between them.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@Cortez: So if joking around with each other, spending a romantic evening for two (which both of them clearly enjoyed), and sharing their first kiss doesn't count as chemistry - what does? :-\