Thu May 10, 2018 10:13 am
ok, 2 things,
1) as my GF will say 'that feeling of WHOOSH'
2) LOCK THE DOOR
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

"Lock the door."

Heh.

You're adorable.
Doors in Montreal have locks? Not in the MA3verse. Some exterior doors do but I have never seen a locking interior door.
Don Alexander wrote:Duh. All people are homosexual. Most just don't get beyond the heterosexual experimentation phase until they die of old age.

Vitocap

Re: 10-05-18 More than a lover

Post by Vitocap »

A friend is more than a lover.

I'm *SO* very happy that Giz got it right. :x

Up to the 19th century, and even to the first decades of the 20th century, if you looked up 'friendship' in a dictionary you would find: "Friendship: the highest form of love."

Then, at some point in time, this began to change. Perhaps because of the homophobia craze in America during the twenties, the idea that you could love a friend (who is, most often than not, the same gender as you) more than the person with which you are coupling (who is usually someone of the opposite sex) became anathema. The new societal values established that your coupling partner should be "the most important person in your life" while a friend should be described as "just a friend". Indeed, a commonplace piece of dialogue in romance books and movies from the thirties onward is:

"What's your relationship with so-and-so?"
"Don't get the wrong idea! We're just friends!"

As if being friends was a trifling point and a thing of little consequence. #-o

It's insufferably dumb. It annoys me to no end when I find this trope in a story. Thank goodness, it was avoided here. Gary has the right idea! Well done, Giz!
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

o_0 ... What is your source material for this theory, exactly?

Zafnak

Post by Zafnak »

"Hey Vegeta! What does the scouter say her libido level is?"

"It's over NINE THOUSAND!!"

"What?! Nine thousand? That can't be right!"

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

ZII'S GOES TO ELEVEN!!!

DOOOOOOOOO EET!
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

magnetoo

Post by magnetoo »

corwinargentus wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 5:36 pm
Spidrift wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 4:45 pm
magnetoo wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 2:54 pm
Is drama the most likely outcome of that? I can't help but think that this comic is called "menage a trois" but has not yet HAD a menage a trois among its three main characters.
Yes it has. Ever since Zii told DiDi she was accepted.

(Ménage à trois literally means “household of three”. Missing that point is Not Getting The Joke on an industrial scale of cluelessness.)
Tut tut. Not all are students of the literal, historical, etymological meaning of phrases. The commonly accepted meaning of the term as it commonly used, is, “A ménage à trois is a domestic arrangement in which three people have romantic or sexual relations with each other, typically occupying the same household. It is a form of polyamory.”

So leave us not be too harsh on those who only know the common use of the phrase. :p
I appreciate your support, but (to respond to spidrift more than you) this is a case where the common meaning IS the meaning, whatever its etymology. For example, "deus ex machina", in Greek theatre, originally meant that an actor portraying a god was lowered by a device onto the stage (hence, "god from the machine") and then solved the problems. Nowadays it means a plot device which is introduced out of nowhere to solve a problem: it is not limited in meaning to gods being lowered by machines. Similarly, a "clue" is now understood to mean "something that helps one solve a mystery", and is no longer limited to its original meaning of "ball of yarn given to Theseus to allow him to find his way out of the Minotaur's maze".

"Showing someone the ropes" means explaining how any place of business operates, not merely which rope on a ship has which effect. People would understand "don't touch that dial" still to mean "don't change the channel" even though televisions have not had dials for decades. "Bite the bullet" means "put up with something difficult", even though the invention of anaesthesia has made it no longer literally necessary during amputations.

So yes, the literal translation of "menage at trois" is "household of three", but that is not what anyone means when they use the phrase. That's like insisting that everyone who talks about two people "sleeping together" actually just means they are in a platonic bed-sharing arrangement.

leann123

Post by leann123 »

Considering how this comic has gone, I think the best option would be Gary and Zii. They bring out the best in each other. They are already basically best friends anyway.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

magnetoo wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 2:54 pm
Is drama the most likely outcome of that? I can't help but think that this comic is called "menage a trois" but has not yet HAD a menage a trois among its three main characters.
I think so. Didi hasn't shown much of a sharing streak. What Didi wants, Didi gets. Combining that with her generally poor grasp of social reality (remember kayfabe?) and how she got unceremoniously dumped by Kiley, she would not handle it well. To what end? I have no clue, as we have the entire wrestling arc left to settle as well as one horny Lynn. If Didi can either work out an arrangement with Zii, or dive wholeheartedly into wrestling to salve her 'pain', she might come out OK. Replacing Zii with Lynn is also an option.

Now on the other hand, if Gary was able to ring her bell, as it were, and Zii was also in the menage a trois... why not? The only thing I see stopping that arrangement is Gary himself. He wants a best friend/lover, not a gaggle of decent friends/lovers. Singular versus plural, as best implies ultimate ergo solo. Peggy is a decent friend and lover. Yuki is apparently one now too. He appears to have swore off them both now.

Don't misjudge my usage of 'drama' as something bad for the comic. IIRC one of my previous posts applauded some seriousness being injected into the story. There's only so much comedic torture a character can endure before their life resembles Peanuts' Charlie Brown & Lucy whenever Charlie Brown is about to kick a football. Plus, these are serious character developments for these characters (and indeed, the entire storyline). Drama also helps to cleanse the mental palette of the reader who has been bombarded by cliches and repetitive gags ("But really. I'm not a lesbian!")
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

leftturnonly

Post by leftturnonly »

I'm also in the boat of Didi walking in on Gary and Zii

magnetoo

Post by magnetoo »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 1:29 am
...Peggy is a decent friend and lover. Yuki is apparently one now too. He appears to have swore off them both now.
Surprisingly quickly, at least in the case of Peggy. He only ever seemed trapped with Yuki as opposed to wanting a relationship with her, but the trajectory of "I want Peggy/Peggy will never want me" without even a conversation seemed far too sudden to be real.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

I grant you, it is a little quick. And conversation is a good idea, as always. However it has been from day 1 that Peggy just wanted someone to booty call. Gary wanted more, and was hoping that frequency of their sexcapades plus Gary giving Peggy his rear iris on command would be enough to show how much he cares for her. Gary has just as much of a reason to be able to exit their FwB relationship, or to look elsewhere for partnership.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

brasca

Post by brasca »

magnetoo wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 2:19 am
worldshaking00 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 1:29 am
...Peggy is a decent friend and lover. Yuki is apparently one now too. He appears to have swore off them both now.
Surprisingly quickly, at least in the case of Peggy. He only ever seemed trapped with Yuki as opposed to wanting a relationship with her, but the trajectory of "I want Peggy/Peggy will never want me" without even a conversation seemed far too sudden to be real.
It seems like the mature decision to me. He only reconsidered that there might be something more with Peggy because Zii pointed out some things based on her observations, but it really was what Peggy said from the beginning. As for Yuki I think he critically thought it over and the only thing they had in common was that comic book collaboration. I would also include Kiley, but the first person to take your virginity is always going to have a place in your heart.

Zii's libido is up to 11 and Gary has no current prospects. I'd like to think something big is going to happen Saturday, but it's just as likely we'll see why Laura is paying Lynn a visit.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

This is where Zii grabs her phone and calls Didi to come back home and she'll be ready. :p

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

magnetoo wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 11:00 pm
I appreciate your support, but (to respond to spidrift more than you) this is a case where the common meaning IS the meaning, whatever its etymology.
No it isn’t. For one thing, both Giz and Dave are francophones, so they’re going to be entirely aware of the literal meaning of their title as well as the traditional English meaning (a romantic/domestic arrangement between three people) and the modern English meaning (a threesome, in bed). And second, this is a comedy; the idea that the title should be a joke should hardly be a surprise.

And, in fact, I’m sure that I’ve seen Giz say that this is exactly the point of the title in an interview. But as I don’t have time to trawl through her back interview catalogue, you can believe me or not as you choose.
magnetoo wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 2:19 am
worldshaking00 wrote: ...Peggy is a decent friend and lover. Yuki is apparently one now too. He appears to have swore off them both now.
All else aside — last volume wrap-up. I suspect that we’ll see a number of characters making surprisingly hasty decisions about long-term plans.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

JediMB

Post by JediMB »

Vitocap wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 7:35 pm
A friend is more than a lover.

I'm *SO* very happy that Giz got it right. :x
This is what I'm here for.

While I get that "just friends; not lovers" and "just lovers; not friends" are both legitimate ways to view different relationships, not as a way to devalue one or the other but rather to emphasize that the relationship doesn't cover both bases... it's nice to have "more than a lover" explicitly said.