Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

03-05-18 Most pathetic person

Post by Giz »

Jackass Mask

Re: 03-05-18 Most pathetic person

Post by Jackass Mask »

Thank you! So glad he came to terms with that. Now back to Zii and her inability to have a stable relationship either. Only question on my mind is whether or not we're about to have a cut away to someone else in the next strip. *Shakes magic 8-Ball* Signs point to yes.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Hahahaha!! Most pathetic? Not even close. I appreciate how Gary is actually thinking through things; he understands that neither he nor Peggy placed expectations upon one another, therefore he has no justification to conjure some now out of jealousy. Seems as though he is developed almost into a truly functioning person! His self-pitying thought is overly dramatic, however, his exaggerated expression seems to indicate he knows he is being melodramatic, and is simply processing his disappointment in that manner.

The opposite of a functional person, Zii appears to have failed to catch up to DiDi and is realising their pathetic pairing is barely held by a string, if even that. While it is understandable that she would be needy, as her bawled out question is likely an excuse to gain a return question from Gary to debrief her current situation, it would be a bit disconcerting if Zii and Gary hooked up, even though it could be rationalised - as the former has burned every available bridge and the latter is perhaps *malleable* enough to reciprocate a pity-screw. And the other reason of them basically bedding every other main character except one another, so... laws of gravity or balance? :))

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Looks like we are going to see the Gary-Zii mutual pity party and mutual pity fuck actually happen.

rakedan

Post by rakedan »

Yup. Here it comes, people!
An idiot on internet with memory problem.

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

I expect Didi will go through a similar let-down and join Zii and Gary.

Then we'll see a pity ménage à 3! :)) :((

Gredinus

Post by Gredinus »

Well this somehow got relevant again :D

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:25 am
His self-pitying thought is overly dramatic, however, his exaggerated expression seems to indicate he knows he is being melodramatic, and is simply processing his disappointment in that manner.
That, and he's a comic-strip character; he's always going to be prone to a bit of melodrama and caricatured emotional expression. It wouldn't really be reasonable to say that makes him a particularly bad person; he's like that because that's what the form demands, and we come here for a comic strip.

What is mildly interesting, as an artistic decision, is the way that Gary's posture slumps over the course of the strip. After walking tall for a while, he's reverted to Bloody-Awful-Posture Gary of the first eight volumes. It's a symbol of his low self-image and associated self-pity. To a degree, it's a bit more artistic shorthand, but if we treat it literally, well, somebody should maybe tell him to bring his body language a bit more under control.
OllieOrOlly wrote:
The opposite of a functional person, Zii appears to have failed to catch up to DiDi and is realising their pathetic pairing is barely held by a string, if even that. While it is understandable that she would be needy, as her bawled out question is likely an excuse to gain a return question from Gary to debrief her current situation, it would be a bit disconcerting if Zii and Gary hooked up, even though it could be rationalised - as the former has burned every available bridge and the latter is perhaps *malleable* enough to reciprocate a pity-screw.
There's obviously a mutual pity-party coming up; for that to progress to sex, though, might require a truly ferocious attack of mutually reinforcing nihilistic self-pity, or a whole bottle of cheap whisky. Which doesn't rule it out, of course. Last volume of the comic, et cetera.
OllieOrOlly wrote:
And the other reason of them basically bedding every other main character except one another, so... laws of gravity or balance?
Gary did point out that he'd shagged every other member of the original Troublemakers. Now, though... Hmm... If Izz is going to start exploring her youthful sexuality some time, it would seem quite unfair if she was the only woman under the age of 40 in Montreal who hadn't experienced the swirly... Terry, though, is probably too much of a miserable twit to justify Gary flexing his sexuality further just to be able to give really smug interviews to the music press in ten years time...
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

EvilSnack

Post by EvilSnack »

I'm looking forward to a final installment that starts with Gary and Zii cuddled up on the couch. The next panel shows them cuddled up on the couch, ten years later, and then twenty-five years later in panel three, and then fifty years later in panel four.

(Clothing optional in the first two panels, mandatory in the last, optional in the third depending on how buff they still are.)

sukebe senpai

Post by sukebe senpai »

The way I see it, the most fitting and, at the same time, twisted end to the comic would be a Gary/Eulice pairing - for life.
FIRRIB

Dragon Paladin

Post by Dragon Paladin »

Milnoc wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 11:19 am
I expect Didi will go through a similar let-down and join Zii and Gary.

Then we'll see a pity ménage à 3! :)) :((
Ugh. After all the crap Didi's pulled? I certainly hope not.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Technically Gary, the window between you and Peggy isn't closed due to your length of time stuck in the FwB relationship. It wasn't ever open in the first place because Peggy did not want it so. It also doesn't mean it could never be opened either, but Peggy & Gary's extracurricular activities don't really mesh and they don't have anything in common apart from mind blowing sex. Now rationally as a reader, unless Peggy was interested in sharing Gary with Bianca in a three-way (maybe more a Gary-Peggy-Bianca sandwich but whatever) and considering the amount of time supposedly left in the comic volume, I don't expect it to happen. So in the end, yes, the window is 'most likely ' closed forever.

Interestingly, Gary just opened a door... another portal... to love perhaps. If Gary isn't standing up straight in the next panel and comforting Zii, that would be the crime. I'd have liked to see Lita greet Gary home in the last panel but whatever.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

EvilSnack wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 12:52 pm
I'm looking forward to a final installment that starts with Gary and Zii cuddled up on the couch. The next panel shows them cuddled up on the couch, ten years later, and then twenty-five years later in panel three, and then fifty years later in panel four.
This gave me an unpleasant mental image involving increasing mummification, I'm afraid.
EvilSnack wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 12:52 pm
(Clothing optional in the first two panels, mandatory in the last, optional in the third depending on how buff they still are.)
Ah, be nice. Assuming we are really talking persistent vitality here -- one advantage for both of them being on the skinny side of slim is that they aren't going to sag too embarrassingly, the way that DiDi is. I have a suspicion that they'll both be well in the "looking damn good for their age" category at 50-55, assuming that they stay active, and be in the silver fox/impressive in the right light class post-retirement.
worldshaking00 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 2:02 pm
If Gary isn't standing up straight in the next panel and comforting Zii, that would be the crime.
Comforting Zii, for sure -- but from a sympathetic position of shared pain. Asking a guy who's still getting the hang of adult emotions to put his own sadness away completely at this point is too much a doctrine of perfection. I'd more expect to see them propping each other up on the couch, agreeing that life sucks. (But, y'know, you might as well live.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Ophelianime

Post by Ophelianime »

I'm not sure how far back to go in examining this. I think I'll start close to the beginning of the Gary/Peggy sex friends dynamic. I don't think that Peggy was ever actually against the idea of becomming more than friends, it's just that the idea didn't occur to either of them at the time. And the reason it has occurred to Gary now, is becuase Zii sparked the idea and Mat/Yuki fanned the flames. The way I see it, this could be either one of two things. Either Gary is simply latching onto the idea and getting carried away by it, or his feelings are sincere and he just didn't realize it until now. Personally I think either option is a possibility. Because we've seen Gary get carried away with notions in the past, but it's not uncommon for freinds to develope feelings for each other without realizing it.
I'm glad that Gary isn't devolving into pointless jealousy and doing something stupid, but I do think it's a little too soon for him to be giving up. (although that is still in character for him) After all, the Ma3 universe is full of hilarious misconceptions. We don't know yet that Peggy and Bianca are couple material yet. It could just be another "benificial freindship."
And as for Zii's depression, again it's too early for her to be sobbing. Well, sort of. She should be sad that her relationship with Didi is flimsier than a paper boat, but no one knows yet if Didi has actually had sex with Lynne.
My predictions based on what we've been shown are that Gary and Zii will have a pity party, most likely leading up to pity sex. Only to find out the next day that they both assumed too much about what they saw and heard. I guess we'll see.

Antinerd

Post by Antinerd »

Both Gary and Zii need to grow up.