21-04-18 Should have talked like this sooner

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

User avatar
Giz
Site Admin
Posts: 3716
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 3:32 am

21-04-18 Should have talked like this sooner

Post by Giz » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:32 am


User avatar
Spidrift
Posts: 12696
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: 21-04-18 Should have talked like this sooner

Post by Spidrift » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:41 am

Aaaaand Lynn's plan moves into the endgame, when she isn't even there. I mean, she was handed an eminently exploitable situation, but still, it's smooth.

However, the more interesting question is -- Is this really the first time that DiDi's mangling of the English language has actually caused a plot-significant misunderstanding?

Anyhow, yes, it looks ever more likely that we're about to see a Gary-Zii pity party. Which, given how the comic seems to be galloping towards the finish line, may very well lead to... well, another addition to the swirly-face collection. It's all a bit formulaic, whatever, but points for honesty; Lita's expression of flat boredom is a fair commentary on these characters' intelligence.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

User avatar
Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Posts: 27852
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:26 am
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: 21-04-18 Should have talked like this sooner

Post by Don Alexander » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:48 am

Franglish. Ruining everything since ca. May 2008. #-o

And Sphinx Lita seems to have not moved at all. Your feeble struggles engage me not, hoomins!
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

User avatar
Opus the Poet
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:42 am
Location: The Beautiful Suburbs of Hell, USA
Contact:

Re: 21-04-18 Should have talked like this sooner

Post by Opus the Poet » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:49 am

And there goes Didi, never to be seen again.
Don Alexander wrote:Duh. All people are homosexual. Most just don't get beyond the heterosexual experimentation phase until they die of old age.

User avatar
Spidrift
Posts: 12696
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: 21-04-18 Should have talked like this sooner

Post by Spidrift » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:57 am

The other question is how Zii will describe this, to herself or others (i.e. Gary), when she realises what just happened. If she's deep in a depressive crash, it might be "Wah! Now I've screwed up this relationship!" -- but let's be honest, she can't really pin this on herself; it's all DiDi being ditzy and selfish. Can Zii bring herself to say that DiDi is a heartless idiot?
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

OllieOrOlly
Posts: 613
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:48 am

Re: 21-04-18 Should have talked like this sooner

Post by OllieOrOlly » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:10 am

I don't understand French, neither does Zii, apparently. :))
Granted, it is broken Franglish, which seems a bit overdue to cause a misunderstanding like this.

I presume that DiDi phrased it so poorly that she made a statement about how they should be more open in regards to each other's feelings, rather than her intended suggestion of having an open relationship.
But damn, even if the open relationship idea was given clearly and accepted, DiDi is so self-absorbed and obsessed with orgasms that she darts out immediately?!
One would assume that in a *normal* open relationship, there are some basic ground rules established, and at the bare minimum, a gradual and not rushed agreement between the open couple. Guess we couldn't have DiDi being less than 100% egocentric by, you know, double checking that what she asked was actually understood and accepted.

Have to enjoy the irony of Zii's "failures" in a way - it was her preoccupation with f**king that cost her the band, and her melancholy over the band seems to cost her whatever flimsy excuse of relationship it was to begin with.
Although, how will karma catch up to DiDi? Zii at least acknowledges how scummy she has been (not doing anything about it, but credit for some beginning introspection), yet DiDi is either too stupid or too aloof to comprehend how little care with which she treats people.

Zii's final shocked seems due to confusion or realisation that DiDi made a (to her) nonsensical remark about "opening up" to a third party; I'm leaning on the latter as the most likely.
Spidrift wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:57 am
The other question is how Zii will describe this, to herself or others (i.e. Gary), when she realises what just happened. If she's deep in a depressive crash, it might be "Wah! Now I've screwed up this relationship!" -- but let's be honest, she can't really pin this on herself; it's all DiDi being ditzy and selfish. Can Zii bring herself to say that DiDi is a heartless idiot?
I do see your point, however, I'm inclined to think Zii can blame herself for the mess. She followed her lust yet again to be with DiDi, joining a shared delusion that "pleasure=love," without proper communication from the start. Zii's intoxication caused her to neglect her band, which ended up dissolving around her; she was so saddened by this fact, she neglected to physically satisfy DiDi, which is the entire foundation and only thing that made their "relationship."
So, DiDi is at fault for being presumptive and stupid, but this derailment was destined from the start.

Double post merged. The DAMNed

User avatar
vampire hunter D
Posts: 4000
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:19 pm
Location: Jasoom

Re: 21-04-18 Should have talked like this sooner

Post by vampire hunter D » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:28 am

seriously, is Didi autistic? because this is a rediculous degree of inability to understand someone.

I'm not against open relationships, but doesnt she get they have to be agreed to by your partner? An you dont run out in the middle of a heart toheart talk.
Pointless arguing is one of the three pillars upon which the Internet is built. The other two are of course cat pictures and porn.

User avatar
Collarnorcrown
Posts: 438
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:45 am
Location: The Void

Re: 21-04-18 Should have talked like this sooner

Post by Collarnorcrown » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:40 am

*wince* Ooh, saw that coming and it still smarts. I can't even say it's Didi's broken, fragmented excuses for languages at fault. She clearly picked out what she wanted to hear and jumped on it.
Spidrift wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:41 am
Aaaaand Lynn's plan moves into the endgame, when she isn't even there. I mean, she was handed an eminently exploitable situation, but still, it's smooth...

...Lita's expression of flat boredom is a fair commentary on these characters' intelligence.
I mean, if someone offers you an hors devour it's rude not to take it isn't it? Maybe it fell into Lynn's lap a little too easily mind... but y'know. Sex comedy.

As to that second bit...well. I honestly feel like Lita's an audience surrogate at this point.
"The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything."
Friedrich Nietzsche

User avatar
Spidrift
Posts: 12696
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: 21-04-18 Should have talked like this sooner

Post by Spidrift » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:58 am

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:10 am
I don't understand French, neither does Zii, apparently.
"Ouvert" just means "open"; it's pretty much the exact equivalent of the English word, so far as I can judge (and Zii seems to understand it perfectly well). So to be honest, this isn't so much as problem with DiDi's Franglais as it is with simple communication. DiDi could have said "I believe we should be open" and the conversation could have gone exactly the same way. The only difference is that a native English speaker might have been more likely to say "I believe that we should have an open relationship", or at least put some emphasis on the word "open", and hence have avoided this confusion. But really, it's down to two different interpretations of the word, with Zii being too morose to spot the possible problem and DiDi too DiDi.
Although, how will karma catch up to DiDi? Zii at least acknowledges how scummy she has been (not doing anything about it, but credit for some beginning introspection), yet DiDi is either too stupid or too aloof to comprehend how little care with which she treats people.
As I said in the last thread, I don't think that DiDi can convincingly be shown "learning a lesson" or "becoming a better person". At best, she can be parked in the wrestling world, where she can provide innocent entertainment for the audience while helping Lynn get her rocks off. She's a force of nature, like a thunderstorm, and you don't expect a thunderstorm to "learn a lesson"; you just hope it keeps the crops watered.
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:19 am
I do see your point, however, I'm inclined to think Zii can blame herself for the mess. She followed her lust yet again to be with DiDi, joining a shared delusion that "pleasure=love," without proper communication from the start. Zii's intoxication caused her to neglect her band, which ended up dissolving around her; she was so saddened by this fact, she neglected to physically satisfy DiDi, which is the entire foundation and only thing that made their "relationship."
Well, yes, this situation wouldn't have arisen if Zii hadn't been Zii. But it also wouldn't have arisen if DiDi hadn't been DiDi. I'm sure that you could trace a trail of blame back to Noah's Ark, if you really wanted to. But right now, things would be okay if DiDi had just taken a second to confirm exactly what they were both agreeing to, and are going bad because DiDi is rushing out the door like a junkie chasing her fix. I'm happy pinning the blame for this specific screw-up on DiDi, and cutting Zii the available slack.
vampire hunter D wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:28 am
seriously, is Didi autistic?
That's not a new question. Frankly, the only reason to say "No" is that "Yes" might be an insult to people on the spectrum, who (I understand) do actually tend to feel bad about accidentally hurting other people.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

HappyFriar
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:37 am

Re: 21-04-18 Should have talked like this sooner

Post by HappyFriar » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:19 am

Finally. FINALLY. Now if we can PLEASE just get right to "wow, Didi's horrible" without a month of strips with facepalm-worthy misunderstandings caused by garbled Franglais and people being willing to overlook every horrible thing Didi does because OMG BOOBS!

...Who am I kidding. Here comes that month.

User avatar
Fluffy
Posts: 3412
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:14 pm

Re: 21-04-18 Should have talked like this sooner

Post by Fluffy » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:35 am

Welp, this comes as a surprise to absolutely no one.

Zii can now take her place on the ever growing list of ex lovers that Didi has kicked to the curb in favor of the ever coveted orgasm.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

User avatar
worldshaking00
Posts: 947
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: My little slice of Hell in Arizona

Re: 21-04-18 Should have talked like this sooner

Post by worldshaking00 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:00 pm

Zii's legs & fingers aren't broken. Run after her or call her on her phone. Explain 'open' dialogue versus 'open' relationship. Or not. Maybe Zii will realize Didi was just lust (though deeply so).

So many ways this could go, but seemingly only one real scenario - pity porn party once Gary gets back home.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

User avatar
Spidrift
Posts: 12696
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: 21-04-18 Should have talked like this sooner

Post by Spidrift » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:58 pm

Zii has shown in the past that she has severe problems catching up with DiDi, even given only a small delay. When DiDi gets an idea into her head, she really motors.

And I’ll bet that DiDi wouldn’t answer her phone. We know what Gary said about trying to get messages through to either of the women.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

User avatar
Dragon Paladin
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:43 am

Re: 21-04-18 Should have talked like this sooner

Post by Dragon Paladin » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:31 pm

Can't wait to see how people defend DiDi on this one. Even for her this is just careless and uncaring. I'm kind of hoping for a scene where DiDi comes back and acts like nothing happened and Zii tells her to piss off, though that probably won't happen. Slso, I can't remember who said this, but i would love to see a spin off comic with the wrestling gang. I know most of them are just EC crossovers, but their characters seem different enough to warrant their own comic.
I am Suleviir, Paladin of Iomede, Goddess of Valor. Those who do evil shall fear my blade.

KittyHat
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:57 pm

Re: 21-04-18 Should have talked like this sooner

Post by KittyHat » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:44 pm

HappyFriar wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:19 am
Finally. FINALLY. Now if we can PLEASE just get right to "wow, Didi's horrible" without a month of strips with facepalm-worthy misunderstandings caused by garbled Franglais and people being willing to overlook every horrible thing Didi does because OMG BOOBS!
That's a thing? I thought people were pretty against DiDi for the most part.

Plus, her boobs are kind of gross. Too large.

Post Reply