Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

12-04-18 Not crashing that date

Post by Giz »

Spidrift

Re: 12-04-18 Not crashing that date

Post by Spidrift »

Ah, the thing about comedy characters; they have rich subconscious lives which can be 100% relied on to be 100% stupid.

A brief image search suggests that (a) not surprisingly, Giz is working from photo references* or direct observation, and (b) the place has large glazed doors, so Gary can try merely to peer in from outside, rather than actually trying to barge in -- which may make what follows marginally less stupid. Marginally.

We also note that Gary almost Freudian-slips to the dread L-word, which suggests that the comic might yet arbitrarily fossilise the characters' relationships and affections to their present configuration at the end. On the other hand, it's put a lot of work into dropping hints about Zii and Gary. Oh dear, he's not going to end up in a geek-wank-fantasy polyamorous harem situation, is he?

Oh, and Gary attempting a firmly set chin is cutely hopeless. Kudos for Giz on the art there, at least.

* Something like:
LeFilet.jpg
LeFilet.jpg (57.4 KiB) Viewed 7175 times
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Hogan

Post by Hogan »

Okay Gary, hold on to that though while you happend to turn your head and look into the place you either accidently or subconsciously just happens to walk by, and DO keep an even firmer grip on the though when you notice who Peggy is with... and chisel the thought into concrete when you walk away so as not to jump into any overreacted conclusions.

You have been doing fine so far... keep it up!

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

While unlikely, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt that the restaurant just happens to be along the path between Gary's apartment and Matt's apartment?
Perhaps for the sake of comedy, but it doesn't serve Gary's character well if he knows how much it sucks to have other people assume things he is feeling/thinking (the brief laundry list of people that did it to him just being thought about emphasises the point), and he doesn't seem to be callous enough to do it someone else, let alone someone he either like-likes or loves. Also, unlike his own old pathetic milquetoast self, Peggy wouldn't take the same BS that passive Gary took; she is kind and compassionate, but is definitely not a pushover, so it would only cause drama -
-on a counterpoint, we need drama for story to happen. True, however, not when it is manufactured from a joke... It can only fly so many times before it gets frustrating. Ahaha. Also, don't need drama from this situation when it would cause character regression rather than progression.

I guess another possibility is that Gary unconsciously walked to the destination which, while a stretch, wouldn't be too begrudging to accept; in spite of his found backbone, Gary does still internalise a lot, thereby his subconscious desire for Peggy guided his footsteps.

dmra

Post by dmra »

For Gary to walk there subconsciously would require him to know where the restaurant is and not realise that he's walking towards it. Which might just about happen if he had looked it up/knew where it was and was lost in thought. He also seems to be going past the door rather than stopping.

More likely it's a coincidence and he might just end up bumping into Peggy on the way in or out and she assumes he's crashing the date.

Collarnorcrown

Post by Collarnorcrown »

Well. At least his heart and brain are in the right place.
"The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Unfortunately, his plot-based guidance system isn't.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

First panel of next strip: Gary sees Peggy with X, and CRASHES THAT DATE!!! X( X( X(

Or the twist that he bumps into Peggy who is distraught that she has been stood up.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Crashing data presumably involves overwriting pointers or something. Or am I missing an astrophysics joke?

Now, if Gary did end up in the restaurant for legitimate reasons, we’d see another question answered; Is Gary now civilised enough to handle eating out in a classy restaurant?
---------
Spidrift

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

No, overreacting to a typo. :P
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Jackass Mask

Post by Jackass Mask »

Oh gods of plot, please don't do this. I like Peggy, to an extent. But all I really know of her is that she likes to peg guys now. Honestly, outside of her relationship to the main crew of characters, what do we really know about her? Is she really a developed enough character for me to want her to be the final boss of this comic for Gary?

I'm honestly asking, because I really don't know. Someone talk me through the points of why I should actually care about her and Gary's relationship.

Collarnorcrown

Post by Collarnorcrown »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:06 am
Unfortunately, his plot-based guidance system isn't.
The will of God (Giz. Same difference) teleport-ed the restaurant between Matt's and Gary's places. There's only so much one's internal guidance system can do against such eldritch forces.
"The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Jackass Mask wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:19 pm
Oh gods of plot, please don't do this. I like Peggy, to an extent. But all I really know of her is that she likes to peg guys now. Honestly, outside of her relationship to the main crew of characters, what do we really know about her? Is she really a developed enough character for me to want her to be the final boss of this comic for Gary?

I'm honestly asking, because I really don't know. Someone talk me through the points of why I should actually care about her and Gary's relationship.
The thing with Peggy is that she’s got a serious job, and she takes stuff seriously. Sure, she acts the sex-crazed weirdo as much as the rest of the cast, but that’s pretty clearly stress relief for her; even when she’s drunk and horny, she can turn it off in an instant when there’s a problem. And she generally tries hard to help people, though she zoned out weirdly when Kiley was breaking up with Matt.

Now, given that I don’t have much regard for Gary — he strikes me as a non-character who exists to have stuff happen around him, recent improvements notwithstanding — I’m not especially inclined to wish him on Peggy. But if I had to justify them pairing off, I’d suggest that Gary’s transformation into a serious, functional human being could be crowned by him winning the heart (as well as the other parts) of the one serious adult in the comic. And I guess that he could provide Peggy with the yin to her yang, the frivolous but diligent artist to her serious rationalist...

But I don’t really buy it myself, to be honest.

(Incidentally, Menage a Zombies confirms that Peggy is very deliberately set up to be the cast’s token rationalist. She tries to analyse and understand the zombie plague — just as, in the “Space Captain Miyuki” story, she’s Doctor Peggulon, Space Empress Sonya’s resident mad scientist.)
---------
Spidrift

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

*bangs head on desk*

Welp, it's looking like Gary will indeed end up with Zii at the comic's end...right after we have a final slog through the wrestling plot. And Dillon's comic might return after this comic finally wraps up...if we're lucky. But I could also see Giz get another freelance gig around that time and Dillon's comic once again vanishes back into the ether.

tomlouie

Post by tomlouie »

From the LeFilet photo posted above, doesn't it look like it might offer outdoor dining?

Or is it too chilly right now to contemplate outdoor seating?