Must reject speculation...

DarkAsh

Re: 07-04-18 That is nuts

Post by DarkAsh »

Dang, after so many pages dedicated to getting Matt and Yuki to be a couple, I was hoping the the author was mess with our expectations and not have Gary crash Peggy's date. They could still throw us a curve ball and It may not have happen, but it some how feels inevitable by wacky comic law.
Last edited by DarkAsh on Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

Chekhov's Law:

"If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following ones it should be fired."

If in the prefatory strip you have conveniently revealed the name of the very posh restaurant where Peggy is having her possibly romantic date with somebody who could be Gary's rival, then in the following strips...

Yep. That's the way the mop flops. Called it from the beginning. :-=
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

brasca

Post by brasca »

On the one hand I'm curious who this mystery man or possibly woman could be, but Gary has made so much progress I really hope he doesn't crash this date to satisfy his curiosity or the readers.'

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Trouble is, this has been suggested now. It'll become Chekhov's Stupid Idea if it doesn't happen.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

Gary can't crash that dinner date! He's too polite!
:-?

DarkAsh

Post by DarkAsh »

Maybe Gary will go there with the intent to crash, but once he's there sees what a good time Peggy is having with her company and then realize it was a mistake and not go through with it.

Rosa
BANNED

Post by Rosa »

Let's hope so.
If he actually crashes into the place, disturbs the peace and quiet of the restaurant and ends up challenging some guy to win Peggy's favor, I think we'll have to start referencing "Terrible Tourist" all over again. *smile*
"I assume that the creative team does read the boards and that, through
the troll swill, they can find a decent thought-provoking post from time
to time. Other than money (of course), praise and intelligent discussion
concerning an artist's work has to be their life blood."

(by @worldshaking00)

─────────────────────────────────────────
http://image.ibb.co/jtqXqx/output.gif

Antinerd

Post by Antinerd »

+1 on the punch line. best in a while.

Continuity

Post by Continuity »

I'm conflicted to see the STUPID is reviving. :-o I guess it's the best way to work out turfing Peggy, at the end, but it kind of breaks up the climactic ending of the strip - Gary growing a spine and stupidity armor.

Gary will probably sneak over to look in the window at the restaurant, and Peggy will be dining with her old boyfriend. We know nothing of her life other than 1) she's a nurse, 2) she didn't want a new commitment (signifying that she wasn't really ready to move on), and 3) she wanted a little more adventure in her life. Gary, Matt, and Gary-Matt have certainly fulfilled the last bit; she may now be trying to reconcile the second.

So, I think it's safe to assume that the S.S. Gary-Peggy is resting comfortably on the ocean floor, right beside the S.S. Gary-Yuki.

I still think Gary will go home to discover Jung and Zii in bed together. That's my boat, and I'm shipping it. :ymdevil:

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

The stupid hurts but I'm curious to see who Peggy's dinner date is. Is it Erik? Jim? Yvan?

Zellgato

Post by Zellgato »

I am.. a tad confused.. how Yuki's dad has that much money? Wasn't he like a mangaka/hentai artists? I forget though. He has enough to just toss double tickets? That is at least 7k

Also Yuki sure as hello hannah switched gears to giving Gary advice. holy crapoli
Much less.. that last line of hers doesn't make much sense to me.
=====
Ok. Gary ABSOLUTELY can not do that. He KNOWS how bad Yuki and Matt's advice can be. and this is.. surprisngly bad even for them. Honestly Matt should be pretty darn knowledable about screwing up relationships with dramatic stuff.
Not something spineless or spienfilled Gary would do..
I can absolutely see Yuki and Matt going to dinner at the resturant to 'scope shit out for Gary" and Gary tells them no firmly. and then calling him mid date and getting caught.
============
Does anyone remember if this is the same night as the wrestling dinner date?
cause it would be kind of hilarious if they show up to said resturant and Peggy isn't there because of that event and she's already at home now

========

Hrm. I sure hope this isn't going to just.. nuke every alternative and just end up being "Whelp we're both lonely heart broken and horny to v arious levels. Lets get together" situation in the end.

Honestly I still vote that he ends up going off somewhere else by himself tired of all teh drama and insanity. (again)

=======
All that being said. Stories are written for the writer not the reader generally so if thats the way it goes, its the way it goes.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

samtheman wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:44 pm
The stupid hurts but I'm curious to see who Peggy's dinner date is. Is it Erik? Jim? Yvan?
I'd fine it funny if her 'date' was just dinner with her father; who's visiting from out of town.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Zellgato wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:08 pm
I am.. a tad confused.. how Yuki's dad has that much money? Wasn't he like a mangaka/hentai artists? I forget though. He has enough to just toss double tickets? That is at least 7k
He’s a very successful manga artist, some of whose stuff has been adapted for movies, on which he also worked. I don’t know how rich that can make anyone realistically, but he’s evidently doing well. Given that Yuki doesn’t seem to have a job, there are suspicions that he’s bankrolling her.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

I'm still betting that Peggy is not really on a romantic date, but one for work (a hospital Doctor wanting to entice her financially to go into his private practice?) or one with family. I also feel that Lynn and Didi will be there too. The name drop of "Le Filet" would normally scream 'Gary must go take a look-see'. But we have another affluent person in the strip (Lynn) who'd like to continue tempting Didi. Peggy could just be the one who spots Didi cheating on Zii, and tells her so... in a somewhat satisfying way like how Peggy told Zii she was wrong for dismissing Sonya's affection to go snog Didi. There is a sort of full-circle third-party benefit for having Peggy be the one to spot Didi cheating, rather than Gary... should Lynn be at LeFilet too.

Alternately, I could see her and her nurse friend (Aishani) and her husband/partner (Gilbert) having the beginnings of a new threesome forming. Just throwing that out there. ;;)

I'm just really hoping we don't get Peggy and Gary splitting up sadly, with Peggy stating that "at least we'll always have the Black Stallion", ala Casablanca style.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.