Dangerously Chloe 2-04-18 Your Big Secret

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

dmra

Re: Dangerously Chloe 2-04-18 Your Big Secret

Post by dmra »

TwoWayStar wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:10 pm
we're down to 2 webcomics just MA3 and DC...whats going to happen if people stop reading? stop buying the stuff?
I'd hope that anybody put off by the way the forum is at the moment would just stop reading that and not the comic.

As for buying stuff who knows. Obviously the happier people are the more likely they are to buy things. Despite being regularly labelled a "troll" and a Giz/Dave "hater" I've been reading the comics since day 1 and used to buy all the merchandise that was produced. And that included the figures and even the Gary plush. Partly because I liked them but also partly to show my support to the team in a more material way.

The only things I've decided against buying are the Chloe figure that came out this year and probably the last DC book when it gets published. And that's basically because while there are still flashes of the comic I started reading rather then the MA3 with demons style sex comedy it became and enough strips I enjoy to keep reading they're few and far between now. And there aren't enough of them to make it worth buying the book.

From updates from Giz etc I get the feeling that the Pixie Trix world as we know it is coming to an end now anyway. MA3 is definitely winding down and that seems to be the most popular story of the lot so who knows what will happen after that.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Error of Logic wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:23 pm
I'm sure she does. She'll continue to insist any negative comment about the comic will fall under the latter category, however, if past behaviour is any indication.
Of course. In any case, I least I tried - pointless endeavor as it may be.

In any case - any further replies from me will be towards comments made about the recent strip. No sense in taking things more off topic than they've already been.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

Bejaysus! Beggorah! Pass the spuds, and the annoying clichés about the Oirish!

Y'know, people questioning my Irishness due to lack of an accent ("You're Irish? I could'a sworn you were American!" is a common thing I hear) I can handle. I've grown accustomed to leprechauns being a popular thing in media, and accepted that my country needs to do something about its alcohol and drink-driving problems before I can protest the drunken Irishman stereotype as having no basis in reality. And I've nothing against beautiful redheads having Irish accents, as long as they're authentic, but I want you all to know the context for me facepalming as I realise that yes, that was a dumb, exaggerated Oirish accent I read one page ago. And pointless in this strip, too, seeing as normal strippers don't do kayfabe.

Sigh. You know, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Dave decided that comically-exaggerated accents are inherently funny, like how some people laugh on instinct when someone says "boner". Well speaking for myself, they're not; someone butchering an accent and other people being shocked or awkwardly looking at each other is funny. Someone with an authentic accent taking offense at someone else faking the same accent can be funny. But accents alone are not comedic unless they're so far removed from human diction that they'd be at home coming out of Tommy Wiseau. (Hey, remember that guy? Yeah, he was a thing.)

msaturn
BANNED

Post by msaturn »

Trolling???

this shit is racist and awful and there are a creepy amount of sycophants here just lapping it up.

DarkAsh

Post by DarkAsh »

Fluffy wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:11 pm
Fairy Glade's Fairy wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:41 pm
:-o :-o :-o

You admit it!!!???

"Things must be frozen over back home."
-- Pandora Rapture, succubus
Why would I deny an example of trolling when it's obvious? I'm just correcting you on calling it 'constructive criticism' - which is nowhere near the same as trolling (hence why you should learn the difference).

Here are the definitions for both.

Constructive criticism = Often containing helpful and specific suggestions for positive change, constructive criticism is highly focused on a particular issue or set of issues, as opposed to providing general feedback on the item or organization as a whole. (example - people saying what they don't like about this comic and making suggestions on how to improve things)

Trolling = make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them. (example - how that one person spoke to Rosa).

See the difference?
I think FGF was being ironic or sarcastic toward msaturn.

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

Looks like @msaturn is still around... he posted again.

I do believe we need a spot of moderation here.
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Dragon Paladin

Post by Dragon Paladin »

So, out of curiosity, does any man find stereotypical accents sexy? Cause i just find them either laughable or annoying. If there was a stripper with a genuine Irish accent, yeah, that would be sexy. But a stripper who talked like Lucky the Leprechaun's even more stereotypical cousin would be laughed off the stage.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Would they even be heard on stage?

During a lap dance, maybe - when they're up close and personal with their clientele; but on stage? Would be kind of pointless to use an accent when you can't be heard over a rowdy crowd/loud music (just as it's pointless to use a fake accent in the presence of co-workers who know it's an act; unless you're trying to fool them, too).
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

DarkAsh

Post by DarkAsh »

I’d find them to be more of a distraction, especially if done cringingly poor, but an authentic accent would be exotic and sexy. However, it would depend mostly on what is being said and only if it wasn’t cliched.

dmra

Post by dmra »

Based on what we've seen so far Ginger's Oirish accent is bad enough that it would make Dick Van Dyke look like a genuine cockney in comparison.

Dragon Paladin

Post by Dragon Paladin »

This comic reminded me of this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YrjAgg95eNU

X3N0-Life-Form

Post by X3N0-Life-Form »

dmra wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:23 pm
TwoWayStar wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:10 pm
we're down to 2 webcomics just MA3 and DC...whats going to happen if people stop reading? stop buying the stuff?
I'd hope that anybody put off by the way the forum is at the moment would just stop reading that and not the comic.

As far as I'm concerned, both are kind of linked. I like reading discussions about the comics, regardless of the current strip's quality, so when my enjoyment of a series takes a bit of a dive, I still read the latest strips so that I can follow the discussion. In DC's case, I got used to people moaning about it because I could see where they were coming from thanks to their posts explaining their views. Now all I see is a handful of fanatics trolling the board like a bunch of 15-year-olds (which some of them could very well be, I've got no way of knowing) drowning what discussion is left.
So, basically if I stop reading the forums, I have little reason to keep reading the comic, since I'm mostly bored with it nowadays.

Regarding the accent thing : that strip comes off as a blatant patch up to the previous one's forum reactions. The writer was probably attempting to get the point across that these people were using cliches to craft the stage personae, but as has been pointed out : A) it didn't make much sense backstage and B) it could be interpreted rather sadly.

dmra

Post by dmra »

Somebody else posted saying that they were considering not looking at the daily updates but waiting a while and doing a bulk update. That's something I've been thinking about too but since I still really like the other comics (and really really miss "Sandra" updating now that Eisu is injured) it wouldn't seem right to look at them and not this.

Besides as I said before there are still enough flashes of what the comic used to be like to keep me coming back. That and having invested several years in the comic and characters before it became MA3 with demons I would like to stick with it to the end.

As for the forum I get what you're saying and I feel that way myself sometimes But I try to remember that there are only about three vocal members of what I like to think of as the Church of Pixie and that there are a lot more people who are still worth listening to even if I don't always agree with them. And sometimes, when they aren't ranting and accusing others of heresy, even the members of the CoP can say some interesting stuff so I think I'll hang around for a while yet but can understand why others might not be so patient.

On the accents I'm reserving judgement on the whole thing until we see if it goes anywhere but have a sneaking suspicion it was an attempt to make the dialogue a bit more interesting or "authentic" that just wasn't done very well. That and there was a deliberate attempt to make the staff at the club more "diverse" when previously every one we'd seen working there seemed white.

Rosa
BANNED

Post by Rosa »

Fluffy wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:11 pm
Here are the definitions for both.

Constructive criticism = Often containing helpful and specific suggestions for positive change, constructive criticism is highly focused on a particular issue or set of issues, as opposed to providing general feedback on the item or organization as a whole. (example - people saying what they don't like about this comic and making suggestions on how to improve things)

Trolling = make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them. (example - how that one person spoke to Rosa).

See the difference?
Your definitions are badly flawed.
"I assume that the creative team does read the boards and that, through
the troll swill, they can find a decent thought-provoking post from time
to time. Other than money (of course), praise and intelligent discussion
concerning an artist's work has to be their life blood."

(by @worldshaking00)

─────────────────────────────────────────
http://image.ibb.co/jtqXqx/output.gif

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Defend your accusation. Explain how and why.
Give us arguments.