Dangerously Chloe 26-03-18 Hello MIzz Candy

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

brasca

Re: Dangerously Chloe 26-03-18 Hello MIzz Candy

Post by brasca »

Dragon Paladin wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:24 am
One question: Why? Just... why? It can't be because she needs money or a place to stay. Could she be doing this to ruin Teddi's reputation and make him lose his job? ..... Actually, i would be completely fine with her screwing over Teddi like that, though it would seem out of character.
Why? I think Chloe feels deeply guilty about what happened and can't blame Teddi for such a reaction. If she was that vengeful she could just kill and condemn Teddi's soul.

Besides now that Teddi is back home there's no need to continue stripping aside from the extra income so if Chloe steals the job it's not a significant loss.

Mordhaus

Post by Mordhaus »

Wow, letting a succubus into a strip club is akin to letting a weasel into a chicken coop.
I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite comic on the Internet.

dmra

Post by dmra »

Fairy Glade's Fairy wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:28 am
bridgetvoid wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:59 am
wow ok so we're downgrading a black dude to minstrel speak now, that's only totally appalling.
... anyone wants to humor the troll and start flaming?
I'm feeling la-a-zy right now, so count me out.
It may be a bit of a stretch to go full "minstrel" on the basis of one sentence but I am struggling to think of any other characters (Gabby is the only one who springs to mind) who have obvious accents/dialects.

I certainly can't remember anybody else calling anybody "Mizz" or using "youse" so it might be nice to get a reason why one of the few black characters
in the strip talks differently to anybody else.

renmei

Post by renmei »

dmra wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:02 am
It may be a bit of a stretch to go full "minstrel" on the basis of one sentence but I am struggling to think of any other characters (Gabby is the only one who springs to mind) who have obvious accents/dialects.

I certainly can't remember anybody else calling anybody "Mizz" or using "youse" so it might be nice to get a reason why one of the few black characters
Because the joke is that he's brawn, not brains. It's not a race stereotype, it's a bouncer stereotype. He's supposed to be dumb enough to let her in even though she said something strange. It's not like the club is high class.

dmra

Post by dmra »

I'm not that up on Canadian accents but if the bouncer was white working class and muscular would he have called her "Mizz Candy" and said "youse"?

I

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

So much for an epiphany.

sparky

Post by sparky »

dmra wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:42 am
I'm not that up on Canadian accents but if the bouncer was white working class and muscular would he have called her "Mizz Candy" and said "youse"?

I
If he was originally from the Bronx he quite possible would have.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

Yup. He speaks this way because he’s a Dumbass Doorman. The intelligence level of such a character is colorblind, plenty of white people have been portrayed this way over the years.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

dmra

Post by dmra »

But for anybody looking for signs of racism that would just beg the question why make the "dumbass doorman" black when almost nobody else in the comic is.

And in case it wasn't clear I don't think this is really anything to do with race but I was genuinely curious about why this one character would speak with an obvious accent when nobody else seems to - not even the ones from other realms of existence. Particularly as the real joke of the scene is Chloe's "I do work here don't I?" bit.

It just doesn't help that the accent can, although I'm sure that wasn't the intention, be read like it was something out of "Gone with the Wind"

And if he was from the Bronx I wonder if he'd think winding up in Canada was a step up or a step down.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Well, this was an utterly pointless filler of an update. Did we really need two panels of Chloe shortening her hair to look like Teddy in order to gain access to the club when we've seen her accomplish a glamor change in one panel in previous strips?

I also really hate how much of an idiot this update makes Chloe look. The fact it took her to ogle her own breasts on a marquee to realize that Teddy is her doppleganger is just insulting to her intelligence (but, hey - got to get that gratuitous booby shot in every update, right?). The fact she has to ask if Candy works at the club is also a stupid question, because why would there be a marquee advertising a specific dancer if she wasn't employed there?
brasca wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:44 am
Besides now that Teddi is back home there's no need to continue stripping aside from the extra income so if Chloe steals the job it's not a significant loss.
To us, as the readers, and Chloe - it wouldn't be. But given how much of a self centered dimwit Teddy has been since his impromptu gender swap, he'd probably want to keep his job at the strip club and become enraged when it becomes apparent that Chloe has 'stolen' it from him right from under his nose.
Mordhaus wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:43 am
Wow, letting a succubus into a strip club is akin to letting a weasel into a chicken coop.
At least she'll be well fed.
renmei wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:33 am
Because the joke is that he's brawn, not brains. It's not a race stereotype, it's a bouncer stereotype. He's supposed to be dumb enough to let her in even though she said something strange. It's not like the club is high class.
Not all bouncers are all brawn/no brain, though.

Personally speaking, the dialect in this strip doesn't read as the bouncer being slow witted; it comes off as stereotypical 'ghetto' speak; which, yeah - coming out of the mouth of a black character is distinctly insulting.
Zellgato wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:26 am
Well thats amsuing. Going to get some pocket money. AND more importantly...
She wants to find out about this side of his life she knows nothing about.
One can only hope. But given how Chloe seems to have become an idiot, as well - chances are, if she finds out what Teddy's been up to over the last few weeks, it'll be by accident; and not via her own conscious snooping.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

renmei

Post by renmei »

Fluffy wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:42 am
Not all bouncers are all brawn/no brain, though.
But this one is. Stereotypes in writing are shortcuts for characterization. We're supposed to know he's the muscle, but not particularly bright, so that "Teddy" acting unusual and saying dumb shit isn't enough to trigger his suspicions. That gets her in the door, no fuss. We don't need anything more than that. Chloe is the focus here, not the guy at the door. That's why people were questioning if he'll even get a name.
Personally speaking, the dialect in this strip doesn't read as the bouncer being slow witted; it comes off as stereotypical 'ghetto' speak; which, yeah - coming out of the mouth of a black character is distinctly insulting.
How we see the world is reflected in the lenses we choose to wear. You see it as something possibly racist, I see it as Sylvester Stallone.

dmra

Post by dmra »

But even if the bouncer had a genius level IQ what are the odds he'd notice Chloe acting abnormally since the whole point of the comic is to get Chloe into the club? He might in real life worry about an employee being under the influence of something but this is a comic so is it really that likely that we'd get two or three strips while Chloe tries to convince him that she should be allowed inside? Especially when she looks and sounds exactly like Candy Rock and nobody would have any reason to try to impersonate her.

So putting words into his mouth to let us know he's dumb is completely superfluous.

Edit and again I'm not trying to suggest or imply that the Pixie Trix team are racist. Characters like Jacqui and Tracy (in MA3) would disprove that. But it is true that we last saw Jackie months - if not years -ago and the only black characters I can think of since then have been one of Teddi's bullies and a "Dumbass Doorman". We're not talking Hollywood casting here so nobody is losing out but as far as representation goes that doesn't necessarily look good.

renmei

Post by renmei »

True, but when you consider that EC-verse comics tend to end with a gag or punchline, I'm guessing the reason they made him sound like that is to counter her obviously dumb dialogue. Who knows anymore though. I'm trying not to think on it too much.

Onyx

Post by Onyx »

I like where this is going. Technically she could end up banging one of the gigolos and solve all her problems. I mean she was going to do it to Teddy originally (probably) knowing and having no qualms about killing him violently in the first place.

By the way I'm looking forward to seeing Al's confusion when he confuses Chloe for Teddi.

bridgetvoid

Post by bridgetvoid »

dmra wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:02 am
Fairy Glade's Fairy wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:28 am
bridgetvoid wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:59 am
wow ok so we're downgrading a black dude to minstrel speak now, that's only totally appalling.
... anyone wants to humor the troll and start flaming?
I'm feeling la-a-zy right now, so count me out.

cause he's black and this comic is lazy now. also to the person who called me, a troll, no i'm legit annoyed that a human person of color shows up and seems to be talking like they learned english from watching gone with the wind or song of the south. it doesn't make sense, literally no one talks like that in montreal or anywhere else. so it's cool that someone can go on at length about how a fictional 12 year old is the definition of sexy, but being annoyed about a pretty gross caricature/stereotype is trolling.