Dangerously Chloe 5-03-18 Go to Your Room

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Fluffy

Re: Dangerously Chloe 5-03-18 Go to Your Room

Post by Fluffy »

So, not even an overnight bag containing a toothbrush/toothpaste - or a shaving kit? Or do you think Lance keeps extras of these items at a home he scarcely frequents?
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@Fluffy: Toothbrushes are usually cheap, so it wouldn't surprise me if buys a disposable one while he's on the road. And many hotels also provide toothbrushes, soaps, shaving cream, towels, robes, etc.

All I'm saying is, it's plausible that he wouldn't necessarily need to bring a tote bag with him.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

@Fluffy: He might. He must pay all the bills, so it is his house under the law.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Fluffy wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:18 pm

Can we guarantee that Lance isn't still with Vera, though? He was talking to someone on the phone before Pandora whammied him, after all - and both kids reacted strangely to the marriage announcement (Abby sounded confused and Teddy was outright furious to the point he forgot about his sex change - and I don't think it's necessarily because of who he married).
Well, you got me there. I guess we don't know for sure. Or of not Vera, some other woman. But Abby nor Teddy mentioned Vera during Lance's stay.
I also seriously hate this introduction - the way Lance talks about his kids makes it sound like he's just doing another chore; and the way it's phrased sounds like he wasn't going to be sticking around for as long as he ended up staying.
Yeah, he made it sound like he was only there because he has to be, not because he wanted.
Gotoh wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:44 pm

I had a friend in highschool, who's dad was a trucker, and he was the same way. For most of the year, he was busy hauling state-to-state, but he took time off when he could (usually3-4 days, a week at most) in order to rest up and spend some time with his wife and their son. I get the same impression from Lance.
Apples and Oranges. Your friend still had their mom, their father wasn't leaving them all alone.

You can't really compare it to what Lance is doing.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Cortez wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:06 pm
Yeah, he made it sound like he was only there because he has to be, not because he wanted.
Based on...?
Cortez wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:06 pm
Apples and Oranges. Your friend still had their mom, their father wasn't leaving them all alone.
They're not as different as you seem to think. It's a commonly used trope, especially in anime and manga, and the parents are rarely portrayed negatively.

The only real difference I'm seeing is, Teddy doesn't seem to be as responsible as most other characters in his situation.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

You really should read those trope pages before you link them, you usually end up helping my point. No offense, but it really seems like you don't read the descriptions. The description to this trope even mentions that the Minor living alone is related to the Parental Abandonment trope.

Look at the real life example, it mentions that while it happens in Japan, they still have some form of adult supervision. They're not completely alone like Teddy and Abby are. We have not seen a single adult come to check on them.

But more importantly, this web comic isn't set in Japan, or did you forget? It's set in Canada.

Also, most examples of minors living alone that aren't from an anime are usually presented as a bad thing. Especially in American shows where child services will inevitably get involved.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Cortez wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:42 am
You really should read those trope pages before you link them, you usually end up helping my point. The description to this trope even mentions that the Minor living alone is related to the Parental Abandonment trope.
I was gonna suggest you do the same, 'cuz contrary to the trope name, Parental Abandonment does not mean the minor has actually been abandoned. It simply means the parents are either absent, or dead.

A common variant (such as the 'Midori Days' example) is that the parents are either travelling abroad, or they work overseas. In many cases, no explanation is given for their absence mainly because having parents present would complicate things for te writer.

Also, Japan is not the only country where minors live alone. There's been plenty in the US too, whether the child is emancipated, or if they've run away from home, or if one or both parents are absentee for whatever reason.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Gotoh wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:58 am

I was gonna suggest you do the same

And i did, but it seems you didn't.
Also, Japan is not the only country where minors live alone. There's been plenty in the US too, whether the child is emancipated, or if they've run away from home, or if one or both parents are absentee for whatever reason.
None of which are treatedas a good thing, thus further proving my point. They are all part of a character's sad or tragic backstory and usually has child services involved in one way or another. My point is that is being a neglectful parent by leaving Teddy and Abby with no adult supervision and those examples of Minors living alone is just helping my case.

And Again, the Japan in example clearly state that they have a adult supervision of some form, either a family member or a hired caretaker to go and check on the child. None of which Lance has done, we haven't seen any adult come and check in on Teddy and Abby.

And we have seen that it does bother Teddy that his father is never around and because Lance is never around the responsibility of raising Abby fell to him.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Cortez wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:22 am
And i did
Did you? 'cuz the first two paragraphs in the trope description says otherwise.
Cortez wrote:
None of which are treatedas a good thing, thus further proving my point. They are all part of a character's sad or tragic backstory and usually has child services involved in one way or another.

In what way? Because none of the examples listed says anything about the parents being neglectful, or child services being involved. Instead, the kids are usually well-adjusted and responsible enough to look after themselves with little, or no adult supervision.
Cortez wrote:
None of which Lance has done, we haven't seen any adult come and check in on Teddy and Abby.
We saw Lance drop by to check in on them not long ago, or are you glossing over that fact? :-\

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

With this post, the thread will officially be at 100 posts. No big eath-shattering revelations to share other than that. :P