Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Eisu

2017-11-17 I only have ONE of you

Post by Eisu »

lordoffiling

Re: 2017-11-17 I only have ONE of you

Post by lordoffiling »

Is anyone besides me completely lost? :)
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

Pier777

Post by Pier777 »

It's unfortunately only just you. B-)

Quote removed. The DAMNed

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

lordoffiling wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:26 pm
If you're referring to the last panel; Aania is reacting to Aaina (her twin) talking about her. (it's the superstition that if someone is talking about you when you're not in the same room, you sneeze - or your ears start tickling).
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Oh yeah, I’d forgotten that class of superstition myself. Thanks. I was just brought up on “My ears are burning”.

Anyhow — is Sandra’s latent lesbian side asserting itself, or is she just getting touchy-feely with a friend? And will she ever ask just how valuable that necklace is? Or will Cammi get back to asking pointy questions?

In other words, this was a nice enough strip, but didn’t actually move the plot forward much.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

Fluffy wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:59 pm
lordoffiling wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:26 pm
If you're referring to the last panel; Aania is reacting to Aaina (her twin) talking about her. (it's the superstition that if someone is talking about you when you're not in the same room, you sneeze - or your ears start tickling).
That actually cleared that up nicely, thank you. I'd never before heard of that particular superstition. I only knew of ears burning.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

The sneeze idea seems to be Japanese originally. It’s another anime trope.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Khazuki

Post by Khazuki »

Huh. So Aaaiaainaaiaa wasn't playing at something after all. There's actually 2 of them.

Teerack

Post by Teerack »

the writer is doing a great job making the main character terrible and easy to hate. maybe please move on before I just drop this series? Sandra is so much scumier then all the other girls in this book at this point...

feel bad for all of the people who think they are her friends when she exclusively uses people...
Spidrift wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:52 pm
The sneeze idea seems to be Japanese originally. It’s another anime trope.
it's not an anime trope it's an extremely old and common superstition that you sneeze when someone else is talking about you....

Double post merged. The DAMNed

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Okay, an old superstition, but seemingly strongest in Japan — and hence, very common in anime and manga. Hence, a de facto anime/manga trope.

(Oh, sorry. Belated TV Tropes warning.)
---------
Spidrift

brasca

Post by brasca »

Khazuki wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:22 am
Huh. So Aaaiaainaaiaa wasn't playing at something after all. There's actually 2 of them.
This would confirm that.

Sandra is really digging herself into a hole. And she's also underestimating Aaina's helplessness. This will not end well.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I think she’s either overestimating Aaina’s helplessness (by a long chalk), or underestimating Aaina.
---------
Spidrift

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

Teerack wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:12 pm
the writer is doing a great job making the main character terrible and easy to hate. maybe please move on before I just drop this series? Sandra is so much scumier then all the other girls in this book at this point...

feel bad for all of the people who think they are her friends when she exclusively uses people...
I think its less "Sandra is terrible" and more that people in the MA-verse will do terrible things to each other in the name of wacky highjinks. I've given up on explaining how it relates to comic or character continuity; because it almost never does. Almost any of the characters will suddenly do horrible things in disregard of their closest friends' feeling just for the sake of a punchline. There's little or no logic, its just how Dave and Co. write. Either accept it or stop reading. Your whining hasn't changed anything in the comics, they're all on their final runs and all you've really done is driven folks out of the forums. WE DON'T CARE IF YOU LEAVE- YOU'RE FUCKING ANNOYING. GO AWAY. ~X( L-)

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

Teerack wrote:

Wait, why is Sandra scummy in this strip? She's actually showing concern for her friend cos she though Aaina running after the thief like that could've been dangerous... this strip is not Sandra making an act for Cammi (the whole concerned for Aaina thing) though she still think the necklace is a fake so she doesn't want that part to be known by Cammi, but her concern for Aaina is really a concern for a friend's life.

In Sandra's mind, Cammi's a badass who can do anything, but she doesn't know that Aaina's an athletic woman whose job involves being in a lot of physical danger. She thinks Aaina's just a normal person like she is. We know that Aaina's not but Sandra doesn't so she thought Aaina running straight for the crook might've killed her friend. That's actually supposed to be genuine concern (which is why she ALMOST blew her "fake necklace" cover until she caught herself up and tried to remedy it before Cammit heard the truth about the necklace, but she was actually so concerned about Aaina's life, she almost forgot that that they're "supposed" to act like the necklace is real... unbeknownst to her, it is)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Erm, Lokitsu, maybe tone it down a little? But anyway...
Teerack wrote:

I imagine you looking like your avvy when you wrote that.

I really don't get where you're coming from, Eisu's explanation makes complete sense.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)