Dangerously Chloe 4-01-18 I Know a Confession

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

rpr

Re: Dangerously Chloe 4-01-18 I Know a Confession

Post by rpr »

Strange as it may seem, this could not be as far from truth as one would think. It seems that tears due to different reasons (joy, sadness, onions, ...) have different compositions...

https://sploid.gizmodo.com/tears-of-joy ... 1468602557

It would be interesting to know if fake tears can be tell apart from sincere sadness tears by means of some analysis

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Oh good grief at all the griping about Gabrielle, when she hasn't even done anything yet. All she's done so far is either make threats, or attempts to interrogate people and she's been denied every time. It's a running gag.

Hedley Lamar did far worse than she's ever done and he was one of the funniest and most memorable characters from 'Blazing Saddles'. And the same can be said for Tia.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Dude, she's literally sucking on the tears of a distressed pre-pubescent child who's begging her not to kill her friend - and enjoying it (both the taste of the tears - and the sight/sound of a pleading child). If it was a grouwn up/older teen in Abby's position, it would just make Gabrielle look sadistic. But given Abby's age, it's grossly disturbing.

There's is no painting Gabrielle as being remotely justifiable in her actions. I honestly wonder if you'd be feeling the same way if it was anyone other than an Artemis Academy student doing what Gabrielle is doing.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Fluffy wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:21 pm
Dude, she's literally sucking on the tears of a distressed pre-pubescent child who's begging her not to kill her friend.
There's is no painting Gabrielle as being remotely justifiable in her actions.
I didn't say it was justifiable. I'm saying everyone's making a mountain out of a molehill.

She's no worse than a KAOS agent. There was one in particular that used the same schtick as Gabrielle: always eager to torture Max and 99, and (like Gaby) he was denied the opportunity every time.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

We're not talking about torture, here - we're talking about someone delighting in someone's misery; literally relishing the taste of their tears/their pleading.

The fact that it's a child that the tormentor is doing this to makes it even worse.

If Gabrielle was doing this to an adult/a peer - it could be seen as sadistic. Because Abby is pre-pubescent, it's just gross.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@Fluffy: Gabrielle is a comedic sociopath, that's long been established.

Mel's done worse to kids and her own friends, yet she still have fans.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

You want to explain how this is remotely comedic?

And how can you compare what Mel did to what Gabrielle is doing? Mel took no pleasure in the child's anguish - she was just spitting in the face of the dream she woke up from by doing the complete opposite of what she did in the dream. Mel didn't care that the kid was upset. Gabrielle, by comparison, is delighting in Abby's misery, literally savoring her tears as she begs for Chloe's life.

The two situations are world's apart.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@Fluffy: Comedy is subjective, so that'd be near impossible. But it's clearly the intent of her character.

That's why I mentioned Hedley Lamar earlier. The man was an outright villain, who even killed a man when he caught him chewing gum because he didn't bring enough gum for everybody. By normal standards, that'd be reprehensible, especially over something so petty as chewing gum. Yet. Hedley's character was considered a riot and one of the film's most popular characters.

Likewise, the KAOS agent I mentioned shot and killed his own boss after he denied him one time too many, which was used as one of the punchlines for that particular episode of 'Get Smart!'

For me, Gabrielle is more of the same, except she isn't a villain. She's a troll at worst, since she hasn't actually harmed Abby (she only planned to scare her off). Which tells me there are lines even she won't cross. Therefore, I can still find humor in her actions.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Alexander Collins wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:51 pm
What is the deal with PixieTrix making horrible characters that get almost no comeuppance whatsoever?
Life.
Last edited by Spidrift on Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

dmra

Post by dmra »

Don't talk to me about life.

Alexander Collins

Post by Alexander Collins »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:54 pm
Alexander Collins wrote:
What is the deal with PixieTrix making horrible characters that get almost no comeuppance whatsoever?
Life.
Oh right, but Isn't the point of reading comics to escape from life for a little while?

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Alexander Collins wrote:
There's been plenty of karma/comeuppance to go around in the *C-verse comics. Layla, Nina, Mel, Cess, Laura, Faith, and Tia can all personally attest to that.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

They didn't say none of the characters get any comeuppance; they said they almost get no comeuppance.

I.e. - there are so many characters that do some terrible things a lot of the time; but rarely (if ever) face consequences for their actions. And, when they do, the consequences are minor and/or nothing is learned from it. Examples being Didi (from Ma3), or Pandora (from DC).

Out of the list you mentioned - how many of them learned anything from the comeuppance they've received? Or faced any long standing consequences for their wretched actions against others? (only legit proof they've learned something from their mistakes - in universe; none of that speculation crap).

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Fluffy wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:12 pm
Out of the list you mentioned - how many of them learned anything from the comeuppance they've received?
Comeuppance doesn't require an epiphany. Many villains continue to commit crimes after suffering defeat, setbacks, and humiliation, for example.

As for my list (deep breath):
  • Layla was willing to ditch Chloe and the others during the Chloe-zombie incident, because it didn't personally concern her -- until it did. She also swiped booze from her dad's stash and tricked Nina into drinking it, which caused Nina to become sick and vomit. And Maria made Layla clean it up as punishment. She also volunteered Ace and Brooke for surprise makeovers, which Brooke paid her back for on the very next page. And she pretended to makeout with Faith, which nearly got her killed.
  • Cess and Laura are self-explanatory, since they foil themselves most of the time. However, they began as a pair of minor antagonists who eventually became friends with Nina because she was nice to Laura during the time she was flatchested and had her height stolen from her by Tia.
  • We've already gone over the incident with Faith and Layla more than enough times that the outcome speaks for itself. Faith nearly got herself killed and she admitted it (I won't link to that page since I promised Error of Logic that I wouldn't anymore :P). She also said she thought Tiff could help her become a better hero and a better person, in general.
  • And I think both of Tia's were recent enough that they should still be fresh in everyone's memory. Laura basically whupped her *** with sheer moe and happiness, 'til Tia nearly faded from existence, she has to do chores around Cess' house every time time Niege and Sorbet beat her at 'Mario Kart Wii', and her own plan to disrupt Nina's birthday party backfired when she blunderee into her own trap.
Satisfied? :-\

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

And yet, despite all that, none of them learned anything from their actions. Layla is still self centered, Nina still plots to win Ace for herself - despite knowing Brooke and Ace still have a thing for each other. Cessily, Laura and Tia still plot for their own self interests. And Faith is as egocentric as ever.

Comeuppance usually means people learn from their mistakes and try to better themselves as a result or grow as a character because of it - and not a one of these listed have, as they're the same as they've always been. Which is what's irritating to many folks.