30-12-17 Owe you something extra

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

30-12-17 Owe you something extra

Post by Giz »

New strip! http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/owe- ... ing-extra/

See you in the New Year, and Happy New Year! :)

odalzara

Re: 30-12-17 Owe you something extra

Post by odalzara »

oh shit the wrestling arc again

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Perhaps Zii will meet her match in Lynn? She also seems like a predatory nympho with a near-limitless lust; however, unlike Zii, Lynn seems to care about her conquests as people. Granted, we've only seen one example (that I can recall), yet it is more than the thoroughly flawed protagonist has ever shown.
Though, without certainty of Lynn's depth of genuine of affection or superficial desire to conquest just like Zii, as well as due to the small sample size, one could still feel concern that poor, naive and possibly hapless Marua has already entered Shelob's lair.

I wouldn't fret about going full-wrestling yet, since it seems we're merely adjacent to it, which is close enough to the *main* story (presumably Zii's redemption or further damnation, and the deconstruction of her shallow pairing with DiDi) to suggest elements of the wrestling "spin-off" are crossing into the story proper.

May your awesome art inspire awe in the New Year, too, Giz! :)

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

I don't see Lynn as being as 'limitless' as Zii. Lynn seems to be taking things calm and collected, definitely predatory but farcical at times due to the nature of her spies (Maura & Tess). Other than the Didi effect and her healthy? obsession with cleavage, we don't really know what Lynn sees in Didi or what type of woman Lynn is attracted to. Her lovers don't seem to have to be wrestlers or in that vein.

As far as Lynn trying to get it on with Maura, I don't expect it to happen. Yes, Lynn is treating her out on a date and is oogling her cleavage in the selfie. But she is not lusting after her in that dress she's wearing nor did she tell Maura to call her by her real name. She is keeping Marua at fan-girl distance (with some eventual wrestling tips thrown in).

But yes, Happy New Year one and all. Do we know when Ma3 goes to 2x week yet exactly, and what days specifically?
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I'm not sure that I'd call anyone in this comic sexually "predatory", except maybe Nathan; they don't have to be, because everyone else is sexually enthusiastic and often bisexual, and almost everyone is good looking, so it's mostly just a matter of negotiating terms. Zii and Matt try a bit harder than most, and DiDi doesn't even have to try to achieve the same effect, but even they mostly just have a long list of willing conquests with relatively few regrets.

(God knows what an actual nymphomaniac would look like in the setting, given that's by definition an interest in sex carried to actually damaging levels. Exhausted, mostly, I guess.)

And Annie, sorry Lynn, while clearly as sexually enthusiastic as most and somewhat fascinated by DiDi (which requires no actual explanation, because DiDi), is playing it cool, taking her time, and assessing the odds while neither ignoring alternative sources of amusement entirely nor trying too hard to divert herself. For that matter, it's not clear how much of her interest is actually about the wrestling stuff; she does have her boss leaning on her there. She's pretty sane by Ma3-universe standards so far, really, and it'll be interesting to see what her next move is.

Meanwhile, on important matters: I was going to quibble that it's actually "duck à l'orange", but then I checked Wikipedia, and discovered that "duck l'orange" is actually known (and that "duck à l'orange" can mean specifically the shameful British manglingof the dish). Though I'd have thought that Giz might have insisted on "canard à l'orange". Anyhow, many style and taste points to Lynn.

And yes, here's to 2018.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:39 am
Perhaps Zii will meet her match in Lynn? She also seems like a predatory nympho with a near-limitless lust
Calling her or Zii a predator is a bit extreme. Especially since, you know, they don't ate anyone that's underage.
Her lovers don't seem to have to be wrestlers.
No, but it's part of why she thinks DiDi is "The One". She also seems to be into DiDi's muscles.

http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/Did_you_miss_Momma

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

Don't you love it when Giz uploads a new strip, and wishes us all Happy New Year, and the comments that start coming are full of bitching and complaints? "Predatory" "Obsession" "Unhealthy" "Nymphomaniac" and my personal favorite: "Oh shit not again." (For this one, odalzara gets the prize for Rudest Thing you Could Say to the Author who just Brought You a New Strip. Congrats, kid.)

In the name of all normal readers, I wish to apologize to Ms. Gisèle. Please don't mind the noise -- old restless ghosts are just grouchy like that.
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Quinlan1973

Post by Quinlan1973 »

odalzara wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:28 am
oh shit the wrestling arc again
My sentiments exactly Ugh. :ymsigh:

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Cortez wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:14 pm
No, but it's part of why she thinks DiDi is "The One". She also seems to be into DiDi's muscles.

http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/Did_you_miss_Momma
One does have to wonder what she does in bed that's so intimidating for all her non-muscly lesbian lovers.

(Well, I find that I have to wonder.)
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

CEOIII

Post by CEOIII »

In general, if a wrestler has a name they wrestle under, they won't answer to their real name anymore. No one calls HBK "Mike", for example.

Annie would not have corrected Maura, is what I'm saying.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

I still stick my use of the word "predatory" for Lynn's methodology of attempting to get Didi. She is just not as sleazy as Nathan. For me, the word should be devoid of the bad connotations (stalker, deviant, abusive, etc.) usually attached to it in our modern usage when combined with 'sexual'. Instead please use as like how a lioness hunts on the prowl in the savannah. It is much more clever, calculating, and much more entertaining how Lynn is acting.

Granted, we haven't seen to what depths she will go to rope Didi into bed (with her and the Company [remember the Evil Boss?] she is working for). However I assume she will win Didi over quite totally and magically, making Didi the one to volunteer leaving Zii for the life on the wrestling circuit & fame. Lynn seems to be very strategic, considering her statement about Didi appearing to be bisexual and not getting disparaged by it or the fact that Didi apparently has another serious girlfriend.
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:01 pm
For me, the word should be devoid of the bad connotations (stalker, deviant, abusive, etc.) usually attached to it in our modern usage when combined with 'sexual'.
If you’re going to Humpty-Dumpty poor innocent English words into submission, please label the fact more clearly from the first.

But you’re on to a loser trying to twist the meaning of “predator”. Not only is “sexual predator” well established as a Very Bad Thing, but the word on its own has long since acquired connotations of sinister aggression. Hint; what was the title of that film about an alien sport-hunter dismembering its way up the cast list until it nearly got to skewer Arnie?

If you want a word with less baggage, you could use “huntress” or something. Or try “vamp” or “femme fatale” or the like.
---------
Spidrift

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

And that film had a cunning adversary for Arnie, one worthy of respect. It apparently had rules of engagement, making it not a sleaze-ball psycho killer. Granted, it had vastly superior firepower and technology at its disposal... to the point that it very much so outmatched its prey. Not unlike a well-equipped & trained huntsman or angler human. But as the movie pointed out by having the alien get wounded, it wasn't a guaranteed acquisition of a trophy/skull/spine. Regardless, it intended to do what it does best (hunt) and leave with trophies. We view its actions as sinister because it was hunting us humans. In fact, the Predator is seen more often than not as more of a protagonist or ally in certain franchises... especially when paired off against seriously cold-blooded killing machines (like the Xenomorph).

Lynn sees something she wants - Didi. She's looking for a girlfriend (or another friend with benefits) who she can spend more time with than the current one(s) she has. Like the prized wrestler she is portrayed as, she is sizing up her quarry for angles of attack and weaknesses to exploit. I doubt highly she wants to make Didi into an enemy by pushing her buttons; Lynn wants to succeed at wooing Didi, both into her bed and into the same company she works at. Finding ingress for her to succeed at submitting Didi to her charms & prestige, rather than evil harmful sinister acts, are what I am saying Lynn is being good at. I expect Lynn wants Didi to honestly care for her. Hopefully she won't exploit Didi too unfairly; but rather, I hope Lynn is reducing her chances Didi can say 'no' to her propositions by placing herself/Annie in the best possible light.

Vamp then if it doesn't offend... not my fault predator got shat on by history. Funny though, that we can admire lions and tigers and sharks for their predatory tactics. Hell, certain paid TV stations have entire weeks devoted to their awesome talents. Just saying.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Huzzah! It's the wrestling arc again. :D

And a very Happy New Year to you all, as well. :ymparty:
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:21 am
Vamp then if it doesn't offend...
It’s not always a compliment. But it doesn’t have the subtle specific implications of “sexual predator”. Subtleties matter.
not my fault predator got shat on by history.
No it isn’t. But it did. Hug it now and you get smeared in shit.
---------
Spidrift