16-12-17 The gang is all there

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

BioYuGi

Re: 16-12-17 The gang is all there

Post by BioYuGi »

Here's the issue with balancing multiple plotlines, is it's been so long since this discussion happened I have no idea what on earth she's talking about.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Varanus wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:54 am
JoybuzzerX wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:01 am
You do realize, even in those polyamorous relationships, they often have jealousy and possessive issues. In fact, it's knowingly having those issues, that keeps most people out.
Yeah, I've long seen polyamory as something that's great for the people it works for, but that such people are in quite the minority and its not normally a valid way to solve relationship problems.

The argument that "no one person can be everything to someone else" ignores that the problem is as much about figuring out how to be enough on your own as it is about finding completion in someone else. If you rely on other people to perfectly fill voids in your life then you're going to be disappointed eventually no matter whether you are monogamous or not, since nobody is perfect.
Oof, I just got a huge Futurama flashback. Remember? The one where Fry falls for a girl who has essentially assembled herself a harem of boyfriends?

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

JoybuzzerX wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:29 am
Fluffy wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:52 am
JoybuzzerX wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:01 am
Didi is going to continue to lust after the wrestler (forgot her name) and that was one of the few times I thought Didi may have actually started to fall for someone on more than a sexual scale.
Are we talking about Roxy?
Yes. Roxy.
"Snake lady" was Annie Conda, not Roxie. Roxie was the character whose wallet Didi found.

I suggested a long while back that Roxie and Didi might hook up. They certainly would have had a rough start to their relationship though, and it would require something magical to occur between them for Roxie to get over her frustration of Didi to start that fire. Didi cares for her to a degree now and knows that Roxie is a lesbian, not that should mean anything since Didi will goink anyone apparently... it's just Didi is identifying as a lesbian at the moment. Whether that amount Didi cares for Roxie is enough, or Didi forgets about her 'love' for Zii, or the stars align for them to grow a relationship is where it would get interesting.

Personally, I am expecting Annie Conda to make a power play (Jedi mind trick?) and steal Didi away from Zii. Or, Didi to forget about Zii and run away with Annie on the wrestling circuit. I think leaving Roxie as a contrasting character apart from Didi's nethers helps both characters more. I'd be more interested in seeing a Roxie/Gary introduction. I'd like to see if Roxie has a geek streak.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Roxie doesn’t seem like someone who suffers fools gladly (or at all). Gary is a fool.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Fairy Glade's Fairy
BANNED

Post by Fairy Glade's Fairy »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:03 am
Didi will goink anyone apparently... it's just Didi is identifying as a lesbian at the moment.
Une lesbienne bisexuelle. Nuance.
worldshaking00 wrote:
I'd be more interested in seeing a Roxie/Gary introduction.
... you're interested in seeing Gary stay in the hospital for a few months? :-o
(I concede it would perhaps further his relationship with Peggy, but still...
how cruel.....)

honestly, the scene would be like this:
1. Gary meets Roxie
2. Gary does or says something Roxie doesn't like
3. Roxie uses Gary as a human Rubik's Cube
and then it's a trip to l'hosto and great chances for Gary/Peggy development...

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

capicoli wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:01 pm
iirc the horror movie thing was because Didi's past boyfriends said it was an assured way to get in her pants.
Pretty sure Zii was watching horror movies with Didi (using it as an excuse to get as close to her as possible) long before Erik and Adrien talked about the benefits of watching horror movies with Didi.
worldshaking00 wrote:
JoybuzzerX wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:29 am
Fluffy wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:52 am

Are we talking about Roxy?
Yes. Roxy.
"Snake lady" was Annie Conda, not Roxie. Roxie was the character whose wallet Didi found.
Yes, I know. What I don't get is how folks are saying that Didi is lusting after Annie Conda; when it's the other way around.

Didi falling for Roxy makes far more sense to me; as she's interacted with her far more than she had with AC - who's only interaction with Didi was signing her phone number on Didi's ample chest.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

It's not that Didi is lusting for Annie now. It is that Annie is famous and influential. Didi has the attention span of a moth usually; meet Annie the flame.

As far as Roxie not suffering fools, I would tend to agree under normal circumstances. Love can make one do some 'foolish' things. Roxie apparently cosplayed with her last lover, at least once as made evident by the photograph. Was it sexually themed cosplay? We don't fully know, but the inference was that it was a personal moment between the two of them.

Who else cosplays? Gary (and Peggy and Matt)! One thing this comic tends to do is cross the boundaries between characters and the orbits of the characters who introduced them into the story. It is not unlikely that Roxie will meet Gary or Zii. If - and I concede it is a rather large 'if' considering the rarity of geeky females in Montreal - Roxie has some closet otaku or Transformer fetish, Gary & Roxie could become friendly. In fact, Roxie could be a positive influence on Gary and vice versa.

I might be inventing a potential relationship with the two. Roxie just hasn't done anything other than get Didi into the wrestling school. If an arc is going to involve her and have some lasting importance, it needs to be grand and/or soon in my opinion. And why not Gary (if his foolishness can be overlooked by love/whatever or Gary matures more into a loveable idiot)? It seems to be a foregone conclusion that no one in Montreal is truly straight under the right conditions? Doesn't it make sense that no one is truly gay/homosexual? Or maybe she really is a bit character.
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

As I recall, the dialogue in a later strip made it clear that was indeed sexualised dressing up — and Roxie said (to an offscreen Brandy) something along the lines of “I can’t believe that you talked me into that”. In other words, she’s just about up for some playing around with a lover. What she’s shown no detectable for is the kind of irritating, adolescent silliness and unthinking social clumsiness that is Gary’s default mode of interaction. That’s pretty much what “not suffering fools gladly” means a lot of the time, and Roxie is pretty much a textbook case.

(Actually, I assume that an inability to understand that some people find goofy geekiness highly irritating, and hence a failure to dial it back a bit when meeting strangers, is why Gary used to have trouble making friends. Roxie is a fairly extreme case, but hardly unusual.)
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Doesn't Roxie seem socially clumsy as well? She is brusque & (seems) confident while he is/has been a polite doormat most of his life. Sometimes opposite attract. Sometimes all they need is the right introduction, or the right thing they share in common, in order to overlook a fault or three. :-B

I recall the strip now. Thanks for the memory jog.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

If opposites could magically attract to Gary’s benefit, he wouldn’t have pissed Senna off so comprehensively in Paris.

But given that Roxie has been fairly definitively identified as a lesbian, and has never even met Gary, I don’t have the faintest idea why we’re discussing the possibility of them shacking up. So I’m walking away from this here.
Last edited by Spidrift on Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
---------
Spidrift

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

I wish I could say something new about this comic, but anything I could say I have already said along similar lines commenting on a past strip.

I wish I could spiritedly debate the finer points of this comic and its contents, but my appetite for long forum arguments has been spoiled and is not likely to recover for a while. And frankly, I'm too tired to care all that much regardless.

Also, we're on the verge of a new strip tomorrow, so it's a bit late to make any ground-breaking observations about this strip even if I had any to make. I've had all weekend to share my thoughts and none were deemed worth putting to paper; not sure if that says more about the strip or me, given its contents.

So, in anticipation of this relatively healthy, mature discussion between two people that doesn't have any dumb jokes to make about itself continuing tomorrow, let me just say that Giz and Dave have done very well with this one, that I greatly appreciate the discussion and exploration of long-buried plot threads, the possible start of some much-needed redemption arcs (no, I don't want to talk about it again, once was enough thanks) is welcome in my book and that I do have hope for a strong (possibly partial) resolution when we finally come to the point to cut away from this arc to another.

Edit: P.S. Until recently my post count was 666. Kinda funny how that turned out considering recent events, and maybe I also didn't post because I wanted to relish the coincidence? Weird the thoughts that come into your head when you have too much time on your hands.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

The moment realization strikes, and Zii comes to realize she has struck out.

Otherwise known as "Oh, fuck..."
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)