Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

12-12-17 Need some time alone with my thoughts

Post by Giz »

Fluffy

Re: 12-12-17 Need some time alone with my thoughts

Post by Fluffy »

Let me drink your bitter tears, Zii - they sustain me!

Stay strong, Erik! Remember what she did to you!
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Hogan

Post by Hogan »

Aaand... a subtle reminder of another relationship she ruined... Zii got a full set now

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Sensational art makes the sadness palpable, to the point where I'd almost feel sorry for her... Except I don't in the least, but it is a testament to emotion of the piece that I almost could. My darker sides, however, are relishing her despair.
Zii has skirted along self-pity over the previous times her actions had repercussions, but was mostly quick to bounce back to her usual carefree ways; however, the loss of her band* due to her own self-indulgence has finally cut her psyche deep enough to seem more lasting... her sobbing is quite satisfying.

No whiteknighting, Erik! And hopefully no pity bang... Though, that'd be a fitting parallel - Zii's relationship with Erik broke apart because she couldn't resist Sonya's temptation and was strongly trying to f**k DiDi; so, Zii trying to hook up with Erik again would break apart the "relationship" she has with DiDi.
The only thing left for Zii (which she cares about) seems to be the superficial, hedonistic thing with DiDi, and if that's lost, she will truly lost it all, so no distractions from soul-searching to actually *try* to improve herself.

*who were also, in bizarre and frequently dysfunctional ways, her close friends, yet now seeming to sever all ties with her.

daryljfontaine

Post by daryljfontaine »

Might be wrong, but I feel like Erik's role in Zii's tale here will be the sounding board and provider of perspective. Zii is coming to terms with her own selfishness, and while Erik may have been wronged by her, he doesn't hold a grudge for it. Actually getting Zii to examine her own selfish life choices may be the best thing he could do for her.

It's not wacky hijinks, but this arc doesn't have that vibe.

D

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I suspect that daryljfontaine has that right. Which is fine as far as it goes, but seems a bit ... out of the blue. Erik was always shown as a decent enough guy, and presumably he qualifies to make sympathetic "Yeah, DiDi can be a terrible distraction" noises, but insofar as he ever showed any kind of personality at all, he didn't seem to be especially strong on empathy and emotional healing. Meanwhile, the comic's universe is positively crawling with characters who are, to varying degrees, friendly to Zii and capable of serving as a sounding-board and providing plausible advice -- Peggy, Gary, or Ruby would all be interesting in that role, just for a start. So why dig out this old flame?

(A. To provide his character with some closure in this volume, perhaps. Oh well, we'll see.)

Black tears
Please be gone so I can see clear
Keep calm and carry on
But inside I'm dying
Outside I'm crying black tears
Last edited by Spidrift on Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

daryljfontaine

Post by daryljfontaine »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:37 pm
So why dig out this old flame?
Specifically because he's an old flame. Erik is more likely to talk to her frankly about how what she did to him and how that felt, which might have the effect of prodding Zii into some much-needed character growth.

Of course, I could be wrong. Hijinks may yet ensue. (Kind of expecting a smash-cut to Terry and Izz banging one out ("distract ourselves for a while"), possibly with ice cream.)

D

ven

Post by ven »

I don't know if the author of this thinks this should be a sad moment, but it's not. Zii is such an unlikeable character, the best thing that happens here is for readers to just don't care, but I think for many people the main feeling is glee. There might be a samll number of Zii fans left, but I think that's a minority.

Whatever, Erik will fix all her problems now, because that's how this comic works.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Incidentally, we may also be about to discover something about the state of relations between Angel and Erik. If Angel has been going all diva and losing musicians left and right, Erik may be a little irritated about it.
daryljfontaine wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:48 pm
Specifically because he's an old flame. Erik is more likely to talk to her frankly about how what she did to him and how that felt, which might have the effect of prodding Zii into some much-needed character growth.
There is that, yeah. But it's not like other characters are incapable of telling Zii harsh truths, clearly. Peggy has proved this, criticism from Gary tends to be all the stronger because it's so hard to provoke, Ruby provides an interesting line in clear-headed conventional morality...
daryljfontaine wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:48 pm
Of course, I could be wrong. Hijinks may yet ensue. (Kind of expecting a smash-cut to Terry and Izz banging one out ("distract ourselves for a while"), possibly with ice cream.)
That'd be funny but way out of character. Izzy appears to be sexually inexperienced and possibly nervous about it, and has already been put off Terry by his ability to suck the fun out of the room.
ven wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:49 pm
Zii is such an unlikeable character, the best thing that happens here is for readers to just don't care, but I think for many people the main feeling is glee. There might be a samll number of Zii fans left, but I think that's a minority.
I can cheerfully list all of Zii's faults and mistakes, but glee? Huh. Personally, I don't come to comedy Webcomics to vent my gratuitous sadistic urges.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

leann123

Post by leann123 »

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I truly believe the best person for Zii is going to be Gary.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

If the hints are as simple as I think they are, I reckon that's where this is going, ultimately. Possibly in a menage with Yuki, to repeat myself.

But there's many a slip between cup and lip...
---------
Spidrift

Bat-dork

Post by Bat-dork »

I get all the hate Zii is getting, I've felt some of it myself, but in the end, I wish that she comes out of this situation as a better person by the end of the volume, and maybe gets either a happy ending, or at least a new start.

I say this because lately, the forums give me this weird «burn the witch» vibe, as if the predominant feeling is Zii and DiDi should burn in hell, and nothing else would be acceptable. Or maybe I am overcomplicating things. The point is, I feel a bit too much hate in the atmosphere than it is warranted.

christopheftw

Post by christopheftw »

Now let’s see some Adrien!

Quinlan1973

Post by Quinlan1973 »

Enter Erik starring as the Ghost of Relationships Past.

Alice Macher

Post by Alice Macher »

If Zii were a real person as opposed to a fictional character, I'd be appalled at the callousness being shown in this forum toward her obvious pain. Since she isn't real, I'm merely confused by it. Is she really such a monster that she doesn't deserve any reader sympathy whatsoever? (Note: that was a rhetorical question, so wiseacre "Yes she is, LOL" responses are not necessary.)