09-12-17 What are you trying to pull

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

themacnut

Re: 09-12-17 What are you trying to pull

Post by themacnut »

Ah, there's that kick in the vertical smile we've all been waiting for. That it comes from Angel is just icing on the cake o' consequences.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Quinlan1973 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:23 pm
How's that double scoop of guilt topped with crappy friend sauce taste, Zii?

(Don't really intend to be so mean, but Zii really needed something to clue her in on her behavior, again.)
Yeah...but how long is that going to last?
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

The question isn’t duration, it’s effectiveness. Has she learned anything, or hasn’t she? I mean, if you want her just be depressed indefinitely, okay, but this is supposed to be a comedy.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

KittyHat

Post by KittyHat »

Well, that was undeniably satisfying. A little weird, too, because I still cannot get over how strange it is that I am somehow on Angel's side on thi--

Oh, who am I even kidding? On anything at all, ever.

Maybe Zii can grow from this and actually become a better person? At least she can't get much worse.

brasca

Post by brasca »

themacnut wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:52 pm
Ah, there's that kick in the vertical smile we've all been waiting for. That it comes from Angel is just icing on the cake o' consequences.
People demanding her comeuppance is universal, but not everyone is satisfied that it was Angel. It's like the IRS putting away Al Capone. Sure he deserved it, but it's the IRS :-? .

Moreover, unless Terry is an all around terrible person on the level of Nathan or Yvan he doesn't deserve to be dismissed in the way that Angel did. I'm not sure if Sonya or Yuki will get back together with Zii's band, but I have a feeling Angel's diva behavior is going to wear thin.

Zii does seem remorseful instead of doubling down on being the victim so maybe she's learned something from this, but I'm more curious as to how this will affect Sticky Dilly Buns. Zii had pictures of Angel on a date with Richie which she could use for leverage or revenge, but unless the thought hasn't crossed her mind I'm thinking the events shortly before Sticky Dilly Buns went on hiatus already happened and when that strip resumes it will be like a flashback.

CEOIII

Post by CEOIII »

Did she have actual pics or did she just see them together?

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

No camera visible. But anyhow, I agree with Brasca; it’ll feel more plausible if that stuff in SDB happened a little before the current Ma3 storyline. In which case, if one possible resolution to the last SDB situation has played out, Angel may have calmed down a bit, stopped obsessing about Jerzy, and generally improved enough that the idea of Angel having moral superiority over Zii is no longer quite so bizarre.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

EvilSnack

Post by EvilSnack »

Spidrift wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:30 pm
It could happen, but Izzy’s usual hopelessness is now stacked with Terry being (a) ridiculously weepy and (b) so bloody awful that Angel really enjoyed dumping him. So I think they’re just going to be a comedy prop; having them able to be whipped into a decent band would surely be too much of a reversal, even for this comic.
I've already suggested that this is where we find out that Didi, Peggy, and/or Gary have musical chops that they never suspected before.

Terry seems on the verge of apologizing for his testicles.

As for Zii: Is this contrition we see? Who are you and what have you done with Zii?

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I think if any of the others had active musical gifts, we’d have seen a hint by now.

And Zii’s always had a conscience; it’s just that she tends to run like hell whenever it troubles her. We’ve even seen this expression on her before. Just now, though, her latest screw-up has affected her own ambitions, hurt two people she’s come to like, and given her arch-rival a chance to slap her down with a more-in-sorrow-than-in-anger expression. Hard to run away from that.
---------
Spidrift

Antinerd

Post by Antinerd »

Shinjischneider wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:24 pm
I still want Zii to get punched in the face at one point.
That might happen, but I still predict that Sonia and Yuki will end up returning to Zii's stable. I am less sure of the terms than I was before, though. We'll see.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Is Zii having some introspection? If so, that would be a much larger plot development than Gary growing a spine. And I get the feeling we are going to cut away to a different scene on Tuesday. Gary and Tracy perhaps? Maybe Kiley and Matt? James and Matt? And if there has to be wrestling in this final volume please let it be for only 20 strips or less. That's a plot thread that can afford to be left hanging.

Quinlan1973

Post by Quinlan1973 »

You know, the real person that should be the one to give Zii her "Come to Jesus" lecture should be Dillon. He did a good job with Amber and Gary.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

brasca wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:17 pm
Zii had pictures of Angel on a date with Richie which she could use for leverage or revenge, but unless the thought hasn't crossed her mind I'm thinking the events shortly before Sticky Dilly Buns went on hiatus already happened and when that strip resumes it will be like a flashback.
Zii didn't take pictures, though - she only spotted Angel giving Richie a kiss after their date concluded.

And, if she had intentions to tell Jerzy or Dillon what she saw, what purpose would it serve? How would Jerzy be able to blast off at Angel for not telling him she had a date - or that she had kissed Richie - when he and Dillon had sex while he was dating Angel?
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

lol Loved the last line of this one :)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

samtheman wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:08 am
Is Zii having some introspection? If so, that would be a much larger plot development than Gary growing a spine.
Not really. You can see something similar, though weaker, as far back as this. Zii honestly isn’t a psychopath; she’s always been capable of recognising her mistakes, she just hates the feeling and runs away from it. Though even in the case of that early incident, she found the courage to go round and apologise to Sonya.

What would be new is Zii actually learning a lasting lesson (apart from “If you ignore a problem for long enough it’ll go away”). And that remains to be seen.
And I get the feeling we are going to cut away to a different scene on Tuesday.
Very possibly. Though we may see Zii interacting with Izzy and Terry a bit more; that needs some resolution.
And if there has to be wrestling in this final volume please let it be for only 20 strips or less. That's a plot thread that can afford to be left hanging.
In itself, I’d agree; I’m no great fan of that plot thread. But it’s the thing most likely to divert DiDi from Zii, so it’ll probably play a significant role in this volume.
Quinlan1973 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:56 am
You know, the real person that should be the one to give Zii her "Come to Jesus" lecture should be Dillon. He did a good job with Amber and Gary.
Umm, kinda. He couldn't resist being theatrical, and then everyone got distracted by Gary’s mini-tragedy. (The more complex two-way truth telling between Dillon and Ruby or Ruby and Zii was more interesting.) Anyhow, Angel’s delivered the kicker line here and now, and Dillon has his own title.
Fluffy wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:08 am
Zii didn't take pictures, though - she only spotted Angel giving Richie a kiss after their date concluded.

And, if she had intentions to tell Jerzy or Dillon what she saw, what purpose would it serve? How would Jerzy be able to blast off at Angel for not telling him she had a date - or that she had kissed Richie - when he and Dillon had sex while he was dating Angel?
I suspect and hope that plot is resolved at this point in the Ma3 timeline. If Angel has realised that the Jerzy thing was idiotic, and turned more to Richie, that makes today’s little moralising speech look less weird. It comes better from someone who isn’t a deranged jealous stalker, even if Angel is still a bit of a jerk and still dislikes Zii.
---------
Spidrift