Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

09-12-17 What are you trying to pull

Post by Giz »

DocMesa

Re: 09-12-17 What are you trying to pull

Post by DocMesa »

I can almost hear the thudding of shoe leather as Angel expertly puts the boot in.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Actually, I think that Angel is being as empathetic as Zii thinks there. The line about Sonya still hurting inside requires slightly more than casual observation and casual cruelty to Zii. Which is a bit weird, in that Angel has generally been stunningly short of self-knowledge -- though I guess that understanding other people but not understanding oneself isn't as rare as it should be.

I also liked how Angel neatly set up an out for any accusations of hypocrisy. "Bandleaders should take care of their best people..." Which puts Terry in his place.

Now, has Zii finally remembered what she said on the 'phone yet?
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Angel might be a petty, opportunistic bully, but they are quite accurate with their assessment of Zii and her callous actions; perhaps, after realising that she is arguably a worse person than Angel is, Zii will begin to take responsibility for her actions (beyond the minuscule, half-hearted attempts prior) and stop running from her problems, since her flaws have finally caused cutting repercussions.
Don't quite consider her relationship with Erik ending as a "true consequence," since she bounced back from that, while learning nothing from it; there have been a few other occasions when her actions caused negative reactions, however, they too were quite easily overcome. So, her promising band being successfully scooped up by another person she hurt - without Angel having to actively do anything - is the first "true consequence" she has faced.

Whether she can *redeem* herself for Yuki and maybe Sonya to forgive her is Zii's arc we now follow, I suppose; though, a stranger yet amusing path is that she turns her fangirl and the reject into a superior band... The latter being highly unlikely, but thought I'd bring it up.

Art is top notch as ever. Don't care for Angel, but their smarmy expression was exceptional; the last panel, and small bubble, show Zii with a genuinely defeated expression, which perhaps displays that she finally understands at least the smallest aspect of how horrible she treats people by using them for self-gratification, then nonchalantly discarding and avoiding them.
Did get a giggle about the Scooby Doo-like peering behind the doorframe of Izz and Terry(?).

uzivatel

Post by uzivatel »

What does the "not here" part mean?

captainswift

Post by captainswift »

They're there, but they're pretending not to be. They know full well Zii knows they're there, but by having Angel say they're not passes on the message that they don't want to talk to her.

CEOIII

Post by CEOIII »

And Angel hits Black Mass.* OW.

*google "Alestair Black NXT". Full disclosure: I man have spelled his first name wrong.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Pope indeed. Zii really is pretty low. Interestingly enough, the parallel between Didi dumping her lovers (for not satisfying her) and Zii using just about everyone, and how Didi can at least begin to be seduced by promises of fantastic sex. I'm still waiting to see if that will happen: Annie Conda still trying to get her hooks into Didi.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:43 am
Angel might be a petty, opportunistic bully, but they are quite accurate with their assessment of Zii and her callous actions...
I’m wondering if Angel had a minor epiphany during the unpublished early pages of SDB volume 3. I mean, there’s still the desire to get one over on Zii, and the treatment of Terry is cruel, but Angel has actually de-Flanderised from a physically violent stalker to merely bearing a bit of a grudge and reading people correctly. Maybe we’ll find that Angel has given up Jerzy and is pursuing things rationally with Richie?
Don't quite consider her relationship with Erik ending as a "true consequence," since she bounced back from that, while learning nothing from it; there have been a few other occasions when her actions caused negative reactions, however, they too were quite easily overcome. So, her promising band being successfully scooped up by another person she hurt - without Angel having to actively do anything - is the first "true consequence" she has faced.
I’d say that those were all truly consequences; they were just insufficiently serious for some purposes. Which is fair enough, but let’s not get too Humpty-Dumpty with words here...
Whether she can *redeem* herself for Yuki and maybe Sonya to forgive her is Zii's arc we now follow, I suppose; though, a stranger yet amusing path is that she turns her fangirl and the reject into a superior band... The latter being highly unlikely, but thought I'd bring it up.
It could happen, but Izzy’s usual hopelessness is now stacked with Terry being (a) ridiculously weepy and (b) so bloody awful that Angel really enjoyed dumping him. So I think they’re just going to be a comedy prop; having them able to be whipped into a decent band would surely be too much of a reversal, even for this comic.

By the way, do these bands ever play, or do they just rehearse?
uzivatel wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:45 am
What does the "not here" part mean?
It’s fine Victorian etiquette. “Miss Sonya and Miss Yuki are not at home to you, Miss Nielsen.”
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Khazuki

Post by Khazuki »

Ey! Zii feels bad! Yay! :D

uzivatel

Post by uzivatel »

Spidrift wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:30 pm
It’s fine Victorian etiquette. “Miss Sonya and Miss Yuki are not at home to you, Miss Nielsen.”
Thanks to you both, I was not sure, if I got this part right.

Was Sonyas last name mentioned?

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Never been mentioned (or, yes, it’d work better there).
---------
Spidrift

Shinjischneider

Post by Shinjischneider »

I still want Zii to get punched in the face at one point.

But having a smug Angel rub it in how much you suck is also ok for now. Would have prefered if he actually repeated what she did.

"If i remember correctly your exact words after hearing that Sonya quit were "S'Okay. We'll replace her". Actually it also was what you said when Yuki quit. So i don't really see where i was pulling. Clearly you didn't care.
This my dear princess is all your own fault.
Just food for thought".

Quinlan1973

Post by Quinlan1973 »

How's that double scoop of guilt topped with crappy friend sauce taste, Zii?

(Don't really intend to be so mean, but Zii really needed something to clue her in on her behavior, again.)

gwtheyrn

Post by gwtheyrn »

I wouldn't sweat it too much, Zii. Everyone in this comic is a self-centered assbag. :P